RATS! How is this not bigger news?

southernfrau
Board Meister

Re: RATS! How is this not bigger news?

Post by southernfrau »

Nope the one I saw was black, and sleek fur. Almost like a pet rat...
arcsparks

Post by arcsparks »

Okay , so whats the best way to get rid of them , is there a poison or are traps best???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I would suggest traps where cats and dogs can't get at them. I worry about cats eating poisoned rats.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

I agree with Fancy..trapping them. Know too many times with rats and mice they can take a while to die, and the last place you want them to die is in a house wall etc.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

I find it interesting the juxtaposition of this pest animal problem (rats) the previous uncontrolled pest animal problem (enterprise rabbits)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Those rabbits for the most part started off as unwanted pets and appeared to be a man-made problem when they multiplied whereas rats are an invasive species that are totally destructive and are causing major problems to homes and property.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote:Those rabbits for the most part started off as unwanted pets and appeared to be a man-made problem when they multiplied whereas rats are an invasive species that are totally destructive and are causing major problems to homes and property.

No they dont.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fancy wrote:rats are an invasive species that are totally destructive and are causing major problems to homes and property.

Gixxer - how can you say this? Did you not read the first post?
Gixxer wrote:No they dont.

Of course they do and people have the bills to prove it.
http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/224307321.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... le7037833/

Something no one wants to deal with:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=55894
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think this issue is larger then we want to admit. Yes, no one wants it known they have a problem in their part of this City. It's like having you child come home with head lice, treat it and don't say anything right!

Well I think the City needs to become involved in this issue before it become like our Elm tree invasion. Yes, we could leave it sit and keep it hushed but when it comes to the point where homes become infested with rats then they will react.

A problem with Norway rats is very serious, they reproduce very rapidly and they are not clean. They can carry disease. Two years ago we did not have them, Westbank did. Are the rats riding with their garbage to our facility?? Likely, they will!

I urge you as I have to contact the City. Let them know if you have caught any and where. I further challenge anyone who cares about this City to purchase a trap, bait it with peanut butter ( rats go for it ) and ensure you do not have a problem that you have missed.

Link to City to make complaint - https://www.kelowna.ca/iService_Request ... isr001.cfm

I made a complaint last evening and was contacted this am. Please help stop RATS!
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

It's too late the rats are here to stay and I've personally seen them in Oliver, Penticton, Summerland, and Peachland. small to medium sized black ones.
On a different forum
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

My erstwhile kitty Reagan brought us a small black rat with longish tail today; we have poison feeders in our yard by Orkin the pest control guys. It (sir rat) is now in the garbage, and between Reagan and Orkin I hope we get them all. One of them gnawed through a water pipe in our ceiling between kitchen upstairs and family room downstairs which caused quite a bit of water damage a couple of years ago in the relatively few minutes before it was discovered. I don't know what the role of rats is in the evolutionary scheme of things, but it is not obvious.
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

Maybe they could be a new tourist attraction, people love wildlife. This photo was taken on Lucinde Road a couple of days ago, the rat is still there. Hmm road kill chili anyone?
[url][/url]Image
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

We have a resident owl family that looks after the vermin. Another reason not to use poisons.
I birn quil I se
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

We have one here. We call him Hooty the Hoot Owl, he likes geese, and dogs for snacks, hopefully the bloody rats also. I agree no poisons, to many other innocent animals could be affected. I think in our advanced society we should be a able to figure a less toxic solution. Maybe a rapidly developing country such as India has the answer. They go old school, Mumbai employees rat catchers, these guys are lethal rat killers. West Kelowna should hire one of these guys as a consultant, and we could have volunteer rat killing events, it would be a blast!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Don't complain, just be glad we don't have these guys in Canada!

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”