Meteorite?

canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Meteorite?

Post by canadman »

Just saw a super bright trailing light traveling north/north east at a high rate of speed. Seen lots of shooting stars and many meteor showers but this wasn't like that. The object was very big and was clearly not as high as a typical meteorite during a meteor shower. For a second I even questioned if it was a fast moving plane coning down.

Anyone else see it? About 9:08pm.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Meteorite???

Post by TreeGuy »

We went up to Crystal Mountain on Friday night to see the Northern Lights. While waiting to see them we saw something that fits the same description as what you saw last night. It was very bright, no real tail to it and it move horizontally through the sky.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think the Space station has been overhead the last few days so it's possible you saw that.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I don't think so, this zipped through the sky quickly and then disappeared.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

canadman wrote:Just saw a super bright trailing light traveling north/north east at a high rate of speed. Seen lots of shooting stars and many meteor showers but this wasn't like that. The object was very big and was clearly not as high as a typical meteorite during a meteor shower. For a second I even questioned if it was a fast moving plane coning down.

Anyone else see it? About 9:08pm.

I totally saw it! I was standing outside in my friends back yard with about 6 other people and no one else saw it but me! I've never seen anything quite like that before, I had the same though cross my mind briefly about a plane coming down. It looked as though it was above Black Mountain.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

This was a meteor. Seen from a wide area of NW Us and BC.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/social-media-light ... -1.2006457

The ISS is not up at the time of day currently. It is visible in the morning and will be for the next week or 2. It then shifts to the evening around Oct 7th. If you ever want to know if there will be a pass over our area go to this web page and click on the observing location and then select your current location on the map. You can then look at the upcoming passings.
Another neat thing is the Iridium flares. Look for one that will be greater in magnitude than -4.3 as that is the brightest Venus ever gets. These slow short lived brightenings can get as bright as -7.9. The only thing brighter is the moon or the sun. They are rare to see and most people have never seen one.

http://www.heavens-above.com
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Baconbits, what you described seems to match what I saw. Re satellites, space station, etc., thanks but I'm not an idiot. I didn't post on here because I saw one of what are a myriad of satellites (or similarly, sightings of the space station) you see every night. And yes, I have seen MANY meteor showers, shooting stars, etc. this wasn't anything like that. It was very big, far brighter than a shooting star (obviously something within or that moved within) our atmosphere.t also travelled very fast, crossing the sky to the horizon in little more than a second or two. I merely posted this to see if others saw it too and had any (other than the typical) suggestions for what it might have been.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Jagxkr sounds like that meteor story answers the mystery for me. Thanks for posting.
rjanyk

Re: Meteorite?

Post by rjanyk »

Definitely saw this too (others thought I was crazy). At first I thought it was a bright green firework, then thought it was a shooting star but it lasted much longer. Big, bright, and almost fluorescent green. Came down and disappeared behind one of the hills in the distance until I couldn't see any longer. I think it was part of the meteor shower, I have heard some people saying it was a meteor shower like they have never seen before.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just a query, but if it travelled so quickly, would that not eliminate the possibility of an airplane coming down?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Okay people.... IT WAS A METEOR. Or more accurately a fireball. There was another one the day after in the Eastern US. Read this link.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... eball-sky/

My favorite part is the discussion of color.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To JagXKR ...

Just when someone was about to mention the U.. word you wrecked everything by posting a scientific explanation. It illustrates how UFO stories get started and gain credibility though.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

My bad.
mettemaria

Post by mettemaria »

I saw it too. I was driving home from Vancouver on Coquihalla, I thought I was losing it!! It was larger than any meteor or satellite I have ever seen, it was lower and much faster. I have no idea what it was and I am certainly not suggesting it was a UFO but I can't think of anything that would explain what I saw. Much too fast to be a plane.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I saw it too. Very cool. Don't worry, it's just aliens.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Central Okanagan”