Guru

Re: Bears in Glenrosa

Post by Frisk »

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 29th, 2014, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack removed.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

fall wrote: Most hunters are not members of the fish and game club, it is a group of "special" hunters and their numbers must be declining.

You're quite out of touch with reality. Club membership, which also includes BCWF membership, has increased 43% in the past 6 years.

I guess those who do nothing for conservation don't see the value in membership. Those who do join their local clubs and the BCWF because they care about the future of hunting and fishing in this province, and the fish and wildlife resources we're blessed with.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote:So you just kill the bear for its hide and head and waste the rest ...

Thanks for proving my point.

Don't listen to fall, FF, he's just trying to paint all hunters in a bad light.

By law, those who harvest a black bear must utilize the meat. Rest assured that's what happens. People who bother to hunt black bears are those who enjoy it on the dinner table. I have a freezer stocked with sausages, chops and hams that are absolutely delicious!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

What is done with the remains of animals the CO's have to put down?
The cougars that were shot in the Vernon area is a real shame.
Is it feasible to contact the CO's for the remains?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

1nick wrote:What is done with the remains of animals the CO's have to put down?
The cougars that were shot in the Vernon area is a real shame.
Is it feasible to contact the CO's for the remains?

If the meat is salvageable (ie not from a sickly or injured animal) it will be processed and utilized. The hides are tanned and given to educational programs at schools.

You would need a subsistence or educational permit if you were to get the remains. Ask the COs if you have something in mind.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The meat from the young cougars would be a real treat!! Used to belong to a Rod and Gun Club at the coast years ago and was involved in several waterfowl and fish habitat rehabilitation projects.

The annual banquet in the fall was a culinary delight!
Chill
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Rwede wrote:

You're quite out of touch with reality. Club membership, which also includes BCWF membership, has increased 43% in the past 6 years.

I guess those who do nothing for conservation don't see the value in membership. Those who do join their local clubs and the BCWF because they care about the future of hunting and fishing in this province, and the fish and wildlife resources we're blessed with.

Are you saying that membership is up at the fish and game club by 43 percent? BCWF is not a local fish and game club. I am a member of BCWF and honestly I don't even know how I became one. Membership could be increasing here just because there are so many old people and they cant get out and are to lazy to target shoot in the bush and would rather shoot at a range (oh what fun) and then sit around and share hunting stories and advice. You don't need to be a member and pay money in order to be a conservationist. They should change the name from Casorso to Silver Tsunami Fish & Game Club!
Last edited by fall on Sep 29th, 2014, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I am a member of BCWF and honestly I don't even know how I became one.

It will always remain a mystery how you managed it then:

Three Ways to Join or Renew Your Membership
There are three ways to join BCWF (Please allow 7-10 business days to receive your card.):
Option 1: Online
Option 2: By Mail
Click here to download an application form and mail it with payment to: BC Wildlife Federation, 101 - 9706 188 Street, Surrey, BC V4N 3M2
Option 3: By Telephone
Call 604-882-9988 or toll free ( 1-888-881-2293) and use your credit card.

http://bcwf.net/index.php/membership/how-to-join
Chill
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The only thing I can think of is when I took the core course they enrolled me and starting sending me junk mail and a membership card. I never renewed or paid anything and the junk mail and solicitation stopped.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^Well, I guess you can't claim membership in the organization any more then.
Chill
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

flamingfingers wrote:^Well, I guess you can't claim membership in the organization any more then.

Nope, guess not. Oh well. Here is the site for information and sightings for wildlife in our area. https://wildsafebc.com/black-bear/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't report bears in the area. I would imagine a lot don't. Site based in Kamloops and is there a recent posting?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The information about the different types of wildlife and how to deal with them applies to the Okanagan, the site is based out of Kamloops, the sightings chart is not as good as it was when it was bear aware, this is my first time looking at it. I don't call or worry where they are but many people do, you would be shocked at the number of phone calls from people. I don't think people realize they are the problem and don't know what they expect the conservation officers to do.

Return to “Central Okanagan”