Bears in Glenrosa

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Bears in Glenrosa

Post by gardengirl »

Anyone see any Bears in the Webber Rd area?
I found a big pile of scat on my front lawn this morning and it is definitely not dog poo.
I wondered if it could be raccoon, but I really don't think so.
Lots of seeds, cherry pits and stuff like that. The size of pile strikes me as a much large animal than a racccon.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bears in Glenrosa

Post by fall »

Ugghh are you serious? You live in Glenrosa and are scratching your head wondering if there are bears in your area? The answer is yes, there are bears and lots of them! so keep your garbage put away in your garage if you have one and tell your neighbours to do the same in case they are out to lunch wondering if there are bears also!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Duuuh. I am well aware that there are bears in the area. I am wondering if there have been any sightings around Webber Rd lately. I have never had one on my front lawn before.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

You probably have bears in your front yard more times than you would like to know. There are so many bears and sightings it is common place now and most people don't mention it. You can look on bear aware to see reported sightings if people bother to do so. Black bears are harmless and afraid of people and really are not that big of deal aside from making a mess of some fools garbage!
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

black bear poo is black as coal
ron2078

Post by ron2078 »

I live up Princeton in Peachland. My wife saw a huge black bear in our driveway yesterday early morning.... Our little dog went nuts and the bear slowly sauntered up the hill. A friend saw him at Peachland Mannor later that morning. We also saw a racoon run out of a culvert and into the neighbours trees the same day.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

The bears are here.... I see poop everywhere. Just don't step in it and you'll be fine.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

fall wrote:Ugghh are you serious? You live in Glenrosa and are scratching your head wondering if there are bears in your area? The answer is yes, there are bears and lots of them! so keep your garbage put away in your garage if you have one and tell your neighbours to do the same in case they are out to lunch wondering if there are bears also!

She knows there are bears in the area,she's wondering if anyone has spotted them.
The op is not complaining about bears eating her garbage,dog food,birdseed or dry humping her BBQ.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

fall wrote:Black bears are harmless and afraid of people and really are not that big of deal aside from making a mess of some fools garbage!

That's very incorrect. Black bears, especially habituated black bears, are highly unpredictable and should be considered dangerous. People should exercise extreme caution around them.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Rwede wrote:That's very incorrect. Black bears, especially habituated black bears, are highly unpredictable and should be considered dangerous. People should exercise extreme caution around them.
Absolutely. Hopefully over the years people have learned that this isn't wise:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr ... ne-photos/
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Can anyone think of one incident where a habituated bear has attacked anybody? I have them at my house on an almost daily basis and have encountered them within 50 yards. I have had them snort and stand up on their hind legs a couple times over the years but they are just making a statement and then slowly saunter off. If we had grizzly bears then maybe you guys could be in fear!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

There has never been an attack on somebody at home that I have ever heard. I am sure if I searched all over the world I could find an incident or two. Stop living in fear of a black bear people. Be more afraid of pit bulls in your area, attacks actually do happen frequently with them!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

fall wrote:There has never been an attack on somebody at home that I have ever heard. I am sure if I searched all over the world I could find an incident or two. Stop living in fear of a black bear people. Be more afraid of pit bulls in your area, attacks actually do happen frequently with them!

Person working at Suncor was killed just a few months ago by a habituated black bear. Habituated bears are the most dangerous.

It's a wild animal, a powerful animal, and it's likely the most unpredictable animal out there. Grizzly bears are far less likely to habituate (except in our national parks, but that's another subject) than black bears.

A fed bear is a dead bear. That's a saying that people must respect.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”