Peachland: $335,000 in tax arrears

matai
Banned

Peachland: $335,000 in tax arrears

Post by matai »

Wow, no wonder this didn't make the news.

The little town of 5,200 has for approx. $335,000 in tax arrears. Your opportunity to buy a home for cheap on Monday Sept 29th:
http://www.peachland.ca/cms/wpattachmen ... ID1591.pdf

-The lowest amount for which a property may be sold at tax sales it the upset price.
-The highest bidder above the upset price must be declared the purchaser.

http://www.peachland.ca/cms.asp?wpID=389
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Peachland: $335,000 in tax arrears

Post by Bsuds »

Rarely will you get a house this way. Look it up it's not that easy. I think if I remember correctly the owner has a year to come up with the amount owing while your money is held with no interest accruing.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Bsuds wrote:Rarely will you get a house this way. Look it up it's not that easy. I think if I remember correctly the owner has a year to come up with the amount owing while your money is held with no interest accruing.

Yup, you're right but if you get a refund, it's with interest. From PDF:

The registered property owner
may redeem the property within one (1) year and if so, the purchase price will be refunded with interest
thereon.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

6239 Renfrew is Peachland Castle.

Hey, you can own it for only $40,000 LOL
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

For some odd reason, my tax order sale thread went *poof* a few years back, but just to repeat from that thread, I attended a tax order sale, and "purchased" 4 properties. You will never get the properties because the bank will never let them go for that amount. I was wishfully thinking I was going to get some of the properties until I was paid out with 3 months left in the 1 year waiting period. I did make 6% interest though.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Captain Awesome wrote:6239 Renfrew is Peachland Castle.

If I buy it I want the original statue that used to point to the Island with it lol
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:I did make 6% interest though.

Six percent secured by real estate with much higher value isn't that bad. Better than savings account at least.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Rjamer
Übergod

Post by Rjamer »

Captain Awesome wrote:6239 Renfrew is Peachland Castle.

Can a person get a mortgage on the Peachland Castle ?? I was told that it was a former grow op..
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

To add to my initial post: My understanding is that a tax sale is going on if a property is delinquent for 2 or more years, which means Peachland is probably owed more than $335,000 in late taxes (if we would include all late properties, 2 years and less).
ehlersroadecho

Post by ehlersroadecho »

Someone needs to buy Peachland Castle and demolish it - it's just an eye sore on the side of the highway....We need something - it's just a place for transients.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

matai wrote:To add to my initial post: My understanding is that a tax sale is going on if a property is delinquent for 2 or more years, which means Peachland is probably owed more than $335,000 in late taxes (if we would include all late properties, 2 years and less).

It is three years. The upset price is three years worth of taxes. In the extremely unlikely situation where the person doesn't pay the upset price (plus interest) within a year of you "buying" the property at the tax order sale, you will have to immediately pay the taxes for the property (the fourth year at that point). Then the property is yours.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”