Was it just me or?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Was it just me or?

Post by Bsuds »

jennylives wrote:It happens, as I said previously my cousin has had my MIL's for 5 years. Shall I call the police?

I would...get that MIL arrested! Wish I could do that to mine.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

ampeg wrote:this lady was obviously a complete lunatic. I would have told her where to go and call 911. Its a %&^$*&^ ladder!!

Lets chase the man through town, endanger his kid, make a huge stink, call on the infantry and make a working class guy feel like a idiot over a measly ladder that your husband may or may not have lent someone.

..Even if it were really stolen? really your gonna chase this guy all the way to peachland?

take his plate number you psycho.

This is totally bazarr to me. You hear people get all blustery on this forum about theives and here we have a women who wants her property back and a man who chooses to lead a chase scene from a movie with his kid in his car, and she's the lunatic?

Was he tha afraid of the woman or was he more afraid that he'd loose the ladder that even he admits wasn't his?

And your solution is to involve the police overa borrowed ladder - what a waste of their time. I'll agree the woman that chased him was over zealous. But as far as I'm concerned the OP that ran away when he knew she could have been right was the one taking the needless risk. Neither is completely in the right but she shouldn't have had to chase the cowardly contractor all the way to peachland, he should have called his friend immediately to see if the ladder was her husbands.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

jennylives wrote:It happens, as I said previously my cousin has had my MIL's for 5 years. Shall I call the police?

I get what you're saying but the difference is your MIL knows who has it and where it is. For all this woman knows she may never see this ladder again and obviously wasn't willing to let it out of her site.

And those that say it's just a ladder, a good ladder is worth a couple days pay for some. Would all you be willing to put in a couple days work to subsidize a complete stranger's business?

Obviously blocking him in wasn't wise but it shouldn't have come to that, the OP should have dealt with it like an adult instead of running away and embarrassing himself in front of his kid.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Poindexter wrote:I get what you're saying but the difference is your MIL knows who has it and where it is. For all this woman knows she may never see this ladder again and obviously wasn't willing to let it out of her site.

And those that say it's just a ladder, a good ladder is worth a couple days pay for some. Would all you be willing to put in a couple days work to subsidize a complete stranger's business?

Obviously blocking him in wasn't wise but it shouldn't have come to that, the OP should have dealt with it like an adult instead of running away and embarrassing himself in front of his kid.

Yes he dealt with it poorly but she is a nutcase. If someone got out of their car and started ranting at me for no reason I would want out of there too.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Oxl3y wrote:Yes he dealt with it poorly but she is a nutcase. If someone got out of their car and started ranting at me for no reason I would want out of there too.

We only have his word that she was ranting and we have to take into account that he was being dismissive of her claim right off the bat. Not sure if any of us would react differently. For a woman to take on the possible crook I give her credit. She stood up for what rightly was hers, to me this hardly makes her a lunatic.

If I saw my ladder, with my company name on it, strapped to some strangers roof rack, I would have confronted him too. I would hope calmly at first but if he just waved me off I probably would have been a bit PO'd too. If she had simply got his license and called the police like some suggest she ran the risk of the ladder disappearing again. Given the OP's friend didn't think twice about loaning a ladder, I'm pretty certain the OP would have no problem doing the same. In fact this may very well be the way he ended up with it to start with.

But I'm willing to cut the OP some slack, I may have been a little judgemental. Especially given he didn't paint over the company logo on the ladder there is a good chance he wasn't aware of how his friend came by it. It does imply that this was an honest mistake. But running away from the situation only compounded it and I'm sure he'd probably do it differently if confronted with the same situation again.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It would have also been different had she not decided that a friggin intersection was the place to be confrontational.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

kgcayenne wrote:It would have also been different had she not decided that a friggin intersection was the place to be confrontational.

Yeah I suppose, I also agree that turning into a vigilante probably wasn't the best plan. I didn't take into account that at this point she though it was stolen property and that the guy just as easily could have baught it at a garage sale.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

797hauler wrote:to many of you posting ridiculousness, you don't block someone in.

Yes, you can. Citizen's arrest is exactly that - blocking somebody from leaving until police shows up.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yes, you can. Citizen's arrest is exactly that - blocking somebody from leaving until police shows up.

Yeah okay, you go try that and see how it works out for you. personally If you and me were in this situation, I would be willing to bet that If I got out of my truck heading towards you, you'd be inclined to put your vehicle in reverse and let me proceed.

Been there done that, didn't go well. ( for me, being the person that blocked another)

And lastly mister awesome, why risk getting your *bleep* kicked, or shot by someone for the sake of a ladder?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

797hauler wrote:I would be willing to bet that If I got out of my truck heading towards you, you'd be inclined to put your vehicle in reverse and let me proceed.

Oh, I'm shaking just from reading it. Please don't hurt me, Mr. Internet Tough Guy.

And lastly mister awesome, why risk getting your *bleep* kicked, or shot by someone for the sake of a ladder?

Perhaps the lady exercised her judgment and determined the guy is harmless?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

797hauler wrote:
Yeah okay, you go try that and see how it works out for you. personally If you and me were in this situation, I would be willing to bet that If I got out of my truck heading towards you, you'd be inclined to put your vehicle in reverse and let me proceed.

Been there done that, didn't go well. ( for me, being the person that blocked another)

Sorry, I laughed superbly hard at this. I could almost feel your faux muscles from here.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Well some of you may not be afraid to make a citizen's arrest, but really you should be. Typically you might exercise this option if you are witnessing a crime in progress or shortly after such a crime has taken place. If shortly after, you need to be certain that you have the right suspect. In this case, the lady claims it was her ladder. The person in possession of that ladder may have been a victim of a crime (being sold a stolen ladder) or the lady might have been wrong. In either case, she ran the risk of 1) being physically injured (think cornered animal); 2) being herself guilty of a crime (holding an innocent person against their will is a crime); 3) open to civil or criminal repercussions (if you hurt someone during the process you are liable).

So before you go bragging about how brave you all are behind the cover of anonymity, and telling others that this is a good course of action, you should stop and think about the ramifications of your statements.

Here's a link to help inform anyone thinking of taking such extreme measures: http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/othe ... wyntk.html

Like this lady, I'm *bleep* off at criminals and can understand her frustration leading to this vigilantly confrontation but as far as I'm concerned the lady acted stupidly and put herself unnecessarily in danger over an old ladder. It was a foolish move that could have backfired - and may still.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

It's pretty easy to make judgement calls online and say you should have done this and that and armchair quarterback the whole thing. It's quite a different story on how one reacts when one actually is in the situation at the time.

Personally if some crazy lady comes up to me and claims something than starts to follow me - I seriously doubt I'd be going to the cop shop or calling 911 right away. I think the OP reacted pretty much the way the majority of us would have - offline and in the real world.

As for 3 cruisers and being arrested - lol - I'm quite sure that it could have been resolved in a much more civil manner well within the laws of the land instead of making such a serious stink about it. Of course that is assuming the story happened the way it was described which is all that we have to go on. Oh well, guess that's what we get for living in the Wild West.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I don't know, again we only have his word about her being crazed and to honest she'd have to be one scarey woman, as Mexically dreamer said, for me to bolt. I understand why the women on this forum take issue with her confronting him, the world is decidedly different for men and women.

I've had crazed men follow me in the past and in most cases I've pull over and get out. Let me stress, I'm not a huge guy and haven't faught anyone since grade school but I'd rather deal with a situation than have someone putting other drivers at risk to make their point. People are 100% different once out from behind the wheel.

Hate to say it but just last week I passed a guy doing 30 in a 50 and he got bent out of shape and followed me. I pulled over, stepped out of my car with a smile and we ended up bonding over how frustrating it is to drive in kelowna. Turns out the guy lives in the same neighborhood and were planning on having a beer some day. A much better outcome than having the guy follow me home, cause an accident or have an enemy on the block. Can't live your life scared of every confrontation.

This is why I still think the cowardly contractor made the situation way worse. Like I said before, he had a chance to teach his son a lesson in dealing with problems head on instead of trying to run away from them. When you don't face issues and deal with them as they come the outcome is almost always the same, you end up turning a relatively small dilemma into a big ordeal. Something the op learned the hard way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I was driving from Vernon to Kelowna a couple of years ago - this panel van and a car were going at it together. They ended up pulling over just north of Oyama, got out and started pummelling each other in the ditch. By far one of the funniest things I ever saw lol
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”