Power out

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Power out

Post by GordonH »

^^ Maybe I'm asking to much, well I tried. My bad
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Symbonite wrote:Prediction

9 months from now there is a spike in babies at the hospital.

lol

That's rather noteworthy Symbonite.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Must diarize the date and bump forward this thread - will be interesting.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I would think anyone with a life-threatening medical condition that required an electrically operated apparatus would have reliable battery backup and a generator. I know I certainly would. This reminds me of the scheduled outage earlier in the year when people were using the "someone could die" line for their protest.
I birn quil I se
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Randall T wrote:I would think anyone with a life-threatening medical condition that required an electrically operated apparatus would have reliable battery backup and a generator. I know I certainly would. This reminds me of the scheduled outage earlier in the year when people were using the "someone could die" line for their protest.

^^ Exactly, having a backup would be very much a necessity.

Growing on dairy farm having a generator was important, only have to milk a herd of hundred cows once by hand to know that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The biggest hurdle I see to a second line is the NIMBYs. You think people are pi**ed off with the billboards, just wait until they have a big ugly high voltage transmission line running through their back yards! I predict that any recommendation for a 2nd line will recommend another one in from Merritt because ranchers over that way don't have the money and sway that rich yuppies in West Kelowna have.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
treeman97

Post by treeman97 »

You do remember that the Lt. Govenor is a rancher from merritt don't you?
How to start an argument: State an opinion and wait.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

stupid post.
Last edited by featfan on Oct 3rd, 2014, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kelscher

Post by kelscher »

The power went out on Oct 1st which coincidentally was the first day of BC Hydro's "Offtober" which promotes tips to how to save $ on your Hydro bill. LOL Tip 1 should have read: Reduce your consumption by having us shut off your power!
Metdet

Post by Metdet »

a co-workers sump pump shut off from the power outage..this morning he found his entire basement flooded and all flooring/carpets, photos etc ruined.
MB
Persian Apple Country

Post by Persian Apple Country »

After the whole power outage: was there a power surge that fried computers ?
Both in Peachland & West Kelowna businesses were closed or limited in what they could handle.

Should I use a surge protection for all my Computers including Phones & Tablets ?
How can I make sure I get the right surge protector?

Lots of questions because I am new to 110 volts & power outages.
“Two there are who are never satisfied - the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.” Rumi
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Metdet wrote:a co-workers sump pump shut off from the power outage..this morning he found his entire basement flooded and all flooring/carpets, photos etc ruined.

If he has such a problem with seepage he should have a back up power system or else he'll have the same problem every time the power goes out.
Sounds like he has a bigger problem than that tho.
How can a basement flood in less than one day?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

kelscher wrote:The power went out on Oct 1st which coincidentally was the first day of BC Hydro's "Offtober" which promotes tips to how to save $ on your Hydro bill. LOL Tip 1 should have read: Reduce your consumption by having us shut off your power!

I wonder how much money that was saved from that power outage in total of the district.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Metdet wrote:a co-workers sump pump shut off from the power outage..this morning he found his entire basement flooded and all flooring/carpets, photos etc ruined.

I guess its a good thing that he has insurance....right?

and if he knew that there was going to be a problem why wasnt he there moving those pictures away.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Persian Apple Country wrote:After the whole power outage: was there a power surge that fried computers ?
Both in Peachland & West Kelowna businesses were closed or limited in what they could handle.

Should I use a surge protection for all my Computers including Phones & Tablets ?
How can I make sure I get the right surge protector?

Lots of questions because I am new to 110 volts & power outages.

Well because of all the construction going on the power grid wont handle it so there is a lot of spikes and sags in power. Everyone with a power issues shouldnt be using a christmas noma power strip or time to upgrade their 10 year old surge bar. Better yet they should be using a UPS with a auto shut down feature.

there is also a surge protector box that you can get installed at the switch box. PM me and ill pass on the person that does the installation.

Return to “Central Okanagan”