Metal detectors?

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Metal detectors?

Post by Farmmaa »

Is there anyone in the area that has a metal detector that would want a search and rescue job ?
Trying to find a curb stop water valve in the lawn that has obviously been buried over the years and haven't had any success locating it.
Main shut off is broken and have an outside tap leaking - so need to find it asap.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Metal detectors ???

Post by Randall T »

Call the Municipality. They own the shutoff and will come out and turn it off for you and then turn it back on after the repair.
I birn quil I se
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Randall T wrote:Call the Municipality. They own the shutoff and will come out and turn it off for you and then turn it back on after the repair.

Nope. WFN land...municipality won't touch it.
WFN won't touch it because it's inside leased land...they say they are responsible only for the main shut off outside the property.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Farmmaa wrote:Is there anyone in the area that has a metal detector that would want a search and rescue job ?
Trying to find a curb stop water valve in the lawn that has obviously been buried over the years and haven't had any success locating it.
Main shut off is broken and have an outside tap leaking - so need to find it asap.

Before you do anything with a metal detector, have any underground utilities marked by the utility companies i.e BC Hydro... Fortis gas etc..,etc

Just so when you start digging around you don't damage any of those, especial natural gas line.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

The curb stops shouldn't be more than a few inches down....so there shouldn't be any digging deep enough to hit utilities
southernfrau
Board Meister

Re: Metal detectors?

Post by southernfrau »

call this guy, he can help...his classes are great also. http://theringfinders.com/Ken.Dewerson/
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

southernfrau wrote:call this guy, he can help...his classes are great also. http://theringfinders.com/Ken.Dewerson/

Thanks ! Already emailed him this morning...he's away until next week though. Hopefully he can help if I can't find anyone before then
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Phone the Johnson Bentley pool. His course was done last April there, and there was another guy who helped him. Or you can call the Penticton Metal Detectors club. Google it. They have people all over the valley with the club.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If the main shutoff on municipal property is visible it should be easy to figure out where the one is on your property.
The top of the shutoff should be steel, a little carefull checking the area with a compass may indicate the position.
This has to be done on your hands and kness and will work if the pipe is steel.
If you have a general location, poking around with a pitchfork may avoid ruining your lawn.
Good luck.
Black Dogs Matter
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Randall T wrote:Call the Municipality. They own the shutoff and will come out and turn it off for you and then turn it back on after the repair.

Farmmaa wrote:Nope. WFN land...municipality won't touch it.
WFN won't touch it because it's inside leased land...they say they are responsible only for the main shut off outside the property.

The curb stop should be just outside the property line.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

I know where the curb stop should be...but it's not.
It's entirely possible that over the years the hedge has grown over it...or it's been buried under the lawn.
Either way...a metal detector is the only option left
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Could I suggest calling a plumber? They have the equipment to locate shut offs and then to repair the leaky faucet.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Could I suggest calling a plumber? They have the equipment to locate shut offs and then to repair the leaky faucet.

Tried plumbers..no metal detector and most will not touch curb valves because they are so easy to break, especially if they haven't been turned on or off for 20+ years - which is then on them to have major repairs done
Fixing the faucet isn't the problem
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Try BC One Call

www.bconecall.bc.ca

One phone call to BC One Call is the best way to find out what is buried
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Central Okanagan”