Westside Overpass Near Completion

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Westside Overpass Near Completion

Post by TreeGuy »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-127249-101-.htm#127249

Has anyone stated why we needed this in the first place?

When do we start digging up the next section of highway?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Westside Overpass Near Completion

Post by GordonH »

It will be used to access this place in the link here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=53961#p1565180
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bobblehead

Post by bobblehead »

This overpass is not needed and never will be. Within 500 meters is Campbell Road, or the other direction is Westside road, which could have serviced the area no problem. I wrote our MLA about this waste of money back when they were starting the project and the response I received was that it was part of the original deal done when the bridge was built. Don't ask me how any of this work pertains to the bridge contract but that is what I was told. The MLA also mentioned there was one more deal yet to be finalized, again part of the original bridge contract. I assume that this meant some deal for WFN at the Boucherie intersection. The amount of improvements to this project , not even necessary to the highway, that the taxpayer has paid for is just mind boggling.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

GordonH wrote:It will be used to access this place in the link here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=53961#p1565180

@Gordon,I am aware of this project, although others might not be. It just baffles me how we ended up on the hook for this overpass, the Nancee way overpass and potentially another. Like others I think I am just tired of having a construction zone as a part of my regular drive into Kelowna.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:It will be used to access this place in the link here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=53961#p1565180

TreeGuy wrote:@Gordon,I am aware of this project, although others might not be. It just baffles me how we ended up on the hook for this overpass, the Nancee way overpass and potentially another. Like others I think I am just tired of having a construction zone as a part of my regular drive into Kelowna.

Yes, suspect that would suck especial when the speed limit is reduced due to very small curve in the highway. I don't venture that way to much mainly to go to the coast.

The good part of these is no traffic lights, Hwy 97 already has far to many of those.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
muddydogs

Post by muddydogs »

The hospital facility project that was referred to in that link is dead from what I understand. Not sure why Castanet hasn't done a news story on it but the deal has fallen apart. So there's a whole lot of expensive asphalt for nothing - roads to nowhere.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

muddy dogs wrote:The hospital facility project that was referred to in that link is dead from what I understand. Not sure why Castanet hasn't done a news story on it but the deal has fallen apart. So there's a whole lot of expensive asphalt for nothing - roads to nowhere.

Do you happen to have a link mentioning that it dead deal.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I couldn't anything about it. Last I heard ground was supposed to have been broken a year ago and the facility finished next year.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Impressive that it is ready to open "on time" and "on budget" as they stated. In the meantime Westlake Road which was surely a much simpler project is still not finished. It seemed a joke that the Mayor officially opened the road a month late and then it was down to flaggers and alternating traffic whilst they continued to work on the rock and earth slopes above the road that had been closed since May. Still no final tarmac layer, road markings or sidewalk concrete on that section and the diversion signs were still up directing traffic through Rose Valley even though it was unnecessary. Now i guess we wait till Spring????
muddydogs

Post by muddydogs »

Fancy wrote:I couldn't anything about it. Last I heard ground was supposed to have been broken a year ago and the facility finished next year.

Sorry I meant the original link in the first post talking about the facility. There has been no media coverage about the fact the hospital facility is not going ahead. Would obviously love it if someone in the local media would ask WFN about it or the company contracted to build the facility. Someone needs to ask the questions!!!!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

November 6,2014

Decisions regarding who will finance Westbank First Nation's proposed medical wellness facility are taking longer than first expected.

In August, WFN Chief Robert Louie told Capital News ground would likely be broken on Canada's first-of-its-kind private hospital at some point in October.

On Tuesday, Louie said construction isn't likely to begin until next spring.

"Right now we're entertaining several financing partners. We're going through that list very systematically, looking at what is the best relationship—who is going to finance this," said Louie.

"(There are) a lot of complexities in that: Equity and debt financing—all those issues come to play."

Louie said he believes those decisions will be made over the winter months, with construction expected for early spring 2014 "at the latest."

Louie was the keynote speaker at the third WFN Lands and Economic Development Conference, which was held at the Sensisyusten Community Centre Tuesday. The conference was attended by 180 delegates.

He spoke about WFN's contribution to the local economy and gave details about several projects, including the private medical facility.

The proposed 100-bed, 200,000-square-foot private luxury hospital is expected to cost $125 million. It will focus on all medical services except emergency, obstetrics and psychiatric care.

Target patients include foreign medical tourists, as well as Canadians who would otherwise leave the country to receive expedited private health care.

Louie said the private hospital will be accompanied by a hotel and banquet centre.

"We have an agreement on the table for 108 beds in the (hotel's) first phase, with a 400-seat banquet facility," said Louie.

"There are plans in the second phase to increase the hotel size by another 50 beds. It's to be situated quite close, or adjacent, to the medical facility."

In August, Louie told Capital News he is confident Johns Hopkins Medicine International will be a part of the project.

"I'm anticipating that the formalized agreement will take place, but it's premature for me to say that it's been definitely done. Everything looks strong for that to happen," said Louie.

Louie has also said he doesn't expect the federal government will take issue with the proposed private health facility, noting "hundreds of thousands of dollars" have been spent on legal advice and analysis.

The WFN chief anticipates 400 jobs will be created through the private hospital's first phase, which could be completed by 2016.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Alberta’s stake in posh, private BC First Nation hospital
Posted by Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald
Westbank First Nation, located on the scenic Okanagan Lake, seems set to break ground at long last on its new, private hospital next month.

The project has generated headlines for a while now and has opened up a debate on health-care jurisdiction, for-profit medicine and medical tourism in Canada. It’s pitched as a $125-million, 200,000 square-foot luxury hospital, with 10 operating rooms and diagnostic capabilities (albeit no ER), along with an upscale chef, high-def TVs and, eventually, a spa and gym. There’s also been word of talks to bring the well-respected Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on board with the project.

It also apparently has some Alberta backing.

Alberta corporate registry documents show Ad Vitam Healthcare Ltd is in partnership with Lake Okanagan Wellness Clinic. Lyle Oberg and Mark McLoughlin are listed as Ad Vitam’s two directors. Oberg, a former MLA whose Tory cabinet posts included stints in finance, transportation, and education and who was never afraid to ruffle a few party feathers, left the Progressive Conservative party after 15 years and announced in 2011 that he was joining the Wildrose.

Oberg hasn’t returned several phone calls this week, and voicemail messages left at Ad Vitam offices in Kelowna haven’t been returned.

In this July 2013 article, which states Westbank First Nation proposes to build the hospital in a 50-50 partnership with Ad Vitam, Oberg enthuses about the benefits of medical tourism at the hospital and insists there’s no conflict with the Canada Health Act.

After extensive legal opinions, we feel that we’re well within the law and we’ll do everything within the law to make sure this happens. - Oberg

The Westbank First Nation, meanwhile, has remained tight-lipped about the project, with Chief Robert Louie offering only select interviews since word came out about the medical centre. He won’t do further interviews before the ground-breaking, I was told when I called the First Nation’s office recently. Speaking to a local news outlet in August, Chief Louie said the medical centre will likely open in late 2015 or early 2016. He said foreign medical tourists and Canadians willing to pay for expedited care are the target patients. The band is apparently still hoping for an October construction start, but no dates have been set out yet. And if the project is delayed any further than November, odds are slim it will get off the ground before next spring.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

The hospital isn't dead at all, there are construction tenders all over the place
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I agree with the sentiment that this underpass was a complete waste of money. Thought I had read on previous report that this was an ageed upon deal from sometime ago between WFN and province or feds.

What I find interesting is that this project cost just shy of 10 million (am I right?). Now if you recall the changes done at the intersection of Grizzly and 97 where they expanded turn lanes off the hwy and used medians to prevent left turns on to the hwy (all needed IMO). That project cost somewhere around 2 million. Doesn't the cost seem skewed based on amount of work to cost when the two projects are compared? Does to me. Digging an underpass compared to some asphalt and concrete work seems like more than 5x the scale.

If and when the WFN medical facility gets going, I wonder if there is a way for DWK to get involved or support to reap some benefit? A facility such as this will attract some high paying jobs and it would be good to have them live on the Westside.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Steve-O wrote:If and when the WFN medical facility gets going, I wonder if there is a way for DWK to get involved or support to reap some benefit? A facility such as this will attract some high paying jobs and it would be good to have them live on the Westside.

I support this project but don't expect to reap any benefits, so why should DWK unless they agree to partially fund this project.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”