Home break and enter

dadtuna

Home break and enter

Post by dadtuna »

Unfortunately West Kelowna's urbanization has brought in urban crime as well. West Kelowna is not the sleepy place that it was a decade or two ago, and it is hard to adjust . Last week our home was broken into between 1 and 2 in the afternoon. After having the police investigating and asking neighbors if they witnessed anything, it turns out a man was walking around the neighborhood asking if you wanted your eaves cleaned out. He or they go to the door , if someone is home they leave a card and offer their services. If nobody answers, they mosey around back and look around. If approached they have their card handy to present to whoever asks. Seems on the up and up, but your house and yard are being cased out the whole time. Do not trust him, or them. The police ran his card, and oh yeah they know this guy. Cards are easily printed nowadays and aren't worth the paper they are printed on. In our situation there may have been more than 1 person involved, possible female small in size. This is a warning to everyone that notices strangers in their neighborhood. You have the right to confront a stranger and ask why they are there, but phone the police if you don't like them hanging or walking around. They would love to catch these people. They are preying on working people that are away from the house during the day. Phone the police and they will confront them, and verify their presence in the neighborhood. Our good neighbors gave the police a good description, and everyone is on high alert,now. This is a warning to everyone
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Home break and enter

Post by Queen K »

Thanks for that warning. This is an invaluable bit of information to have. We had a guy with a pot t-shirt on ring our doorbell, when we answered he claimed to be collecting cans for Kids cancer charity. Ya, right, with your beat up van parked down the street, filthy clothing and oooh, I had a bedroom window open right where you'd see it.

Having said that, my house was broken and entered a few years back.

Some jewelry was recovered at a local pawnshop downtown. Two years after the break-in! I hope you get your stuff back and your insurance covers you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I don't think that Westbank, et al, have been sleepy little backwaters in terms of crime for some long time. Think of how CNB Middle School got its name and who/why it honours.

Nevertheless, bad news, a break in, for anyone; nasty personal impact, a sense of violation. What neighbourhood, if you can?
dadtuna

Post by dadtuna »

Thanks for your concern - occasional thoughts. I guess where there are people, there will always be crime. We have lived in West Kelowna estates for about 19 years. We have had occasional crimes at times in the neighborhood, and I know, usually it only takes a couple of bad apples to cause alot of grief to alot of people. It is frustrating as a victim to a crime, but it must be really frustrating for the police, as well, when they may know who these bad apples are, but are bound by laws that sometimes almost seem to protect the criminals. Anyways, please, do not keep anything of value in your night tables. watches,money, rings, you know, personal stuff . We will be more concerned about strangers hanging around the neighborhood for sure now. Keep Safe.

Return to “Central Okanagan”