Watch your pipes, keep 'm dripping

Persian Apple Country

Watch your pipes, keep 'm dripping

Post by Persian Apple Country »

It is so cold,
That you should think of a little drip from those faucets.
Keep warm folks !
“Two there are who are never satisfied - the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.” Rumi
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Watch your pipes, keep 'm dripping

Post by Bsuds »

If your house is properly insulated it should not be a concern. We have never had any problems even in much colder temps.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Bsuds wrote:If your house is properly insulated it should not be a concern. We have never had any problems even in much colder temps.

My thoughts exactly. The average home in Kelowna can handle -25* without an issue and shouldn't have to leave taps dripping. It's only homes with poor pluming and insulation that require this. Lived in the Okanagan 36years now in a number of different houses, never once left a tap dripping and never once had any problems.

Prefab/mobile homes and homes built above an uninsulated crawl space are most at risk.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

"Prefab/mobile homes and homes built above an uninsulated crawl space are most at risk."

IT is still a thankful warning to all those new to the Okanagan and first time homeowners that never had to care before. Vancouver and many other places never experience this type of dry cold and leaving a tap dripping (a tiny flow) AND placing heat tapes on exposed water line areas is a great help for the unknowing.

Remember this is an area of retirement and many are not aware of these dangers.......ie. Heat tape? What is that?

Better this friendly warning than fires with people trying to thaw their lines after the fact.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Neighbours pipe froze Saturday morning. It is a single wide. Cost her $675.00 to have Mr. rooter thaw her pipe. Keep that in mind anybody in a park...Leave the hot water tap cracked open if your tank is on the outside panel.. That way both the hot and cold are moving.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Any well built mobile shouldn't have any issues. The biggest issues ive seen with freezing pipes is renos done by do-it-yourselfers that have no idea what they were doing.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

For mobile homes, if you are not sure whether you have heat tape or not, check your breaker box - it may be turned off. We lived in a mobile for a few years and the only time I kept the heat tape on was during winter and then I would turn it off at the breaker box for the rest of the year.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

zerograv wrote:Any well built mobile shouldn't have any issues. The biggest issues ive seen with freezing pipes is renos done by do-it-yourselfers that have no idea what they were doing.

I replaced the copper feed line with pex, wrapped in heat tape aand put foam pipe insulation around it. That is the proper way of doing it.
Your idea of the new mobiles not freezing is not correct. The unit itself doesn't freeze but if the pipe from the park feed isn't taped and insulated to where it goes into the unit, it might freeze.
Another cheap addition is buying a wireless thermometer for 10 bucks and putting it where the inlet from the park is and another where it goes into the unit will let you know how cold it is underneath at any time.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Our pipes froze over the weekend in our business complex... the kind with a dedicated water room... they had a heater in there, but apparently it wasn't enough... still waiting for the additional heater we put in to start thawing things!!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

westbankkid wrote:
I replaced the copper feed line with pex, wrapped in heat tape aand put foam pipe insulation around it. That is the proper way of doing it.
Your idea of the new mobiles not freezing is not correct. The unit itself doesn't freeze but if the pipe from the park feed isn't taped and insulated to where it goes into the unit, it might freeze.
Another cheap addition is buying a wireless thermometer for 10 bucks and putting it where the inlet from the park is and another where it goes into the unit will let you know how cold it is underneath at any time.

All mobiles are required to have a GFCI protected circuit at point of entry for the water line for this exact purpose.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

I am now 56 now and my pipes drip as well . Tried the heat strap but ran out of cord length. Cheers Merry Christmas

Return to “Central Okanagan”