Dissention creeps into WK council

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Dissention creeps into WK council

Post by mexi cali »

Why did Neis cause upheaval at her first council meeting when she was the very first Mayor of the District and set the tradition in the first place.

The mayor sitting on the board is not the issue. It is the second position that is supposed to go to the highest vote getter as was decided in RNs day by the sitting council of which Doug was one. As was Duane. As was Carol.

If they had done it the way it was "supposed" to be done this topic is another topic.

Anyone who isn't concerned at this blatant snub by the old fuzzy slippers isn't paying attention.

Duane Ophus was not the highest vote getter hence the dissension.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Treblehook wrote:The very use of the word "dissention" reeks of someone trying to create just that.. perhaps to undermine the Council or a Councillor from the very get go. Dissention is a word that always has a negative connotation attached to it. Last I heard, discussions, alternative opinions and debate were everyday occurrences in the chambers of Councils in every town and city. Why is this instance being "set up" as being different? Does someone have an ulterior motive or personal agenda here? I am beginning to think someone is trying to sway the opinion of the "unwashed masses".

It was the press (this very site I believe) that introduced the term "dissension".
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

1669 wrote:
i happen to agree with you in that Neis is the most uniformed and ill prepared person on Council. It is plainly obvious she doesn't even bother to read many of the staff reports. She has a grating confrontational manner, and discussion was more productive w/o her.

And of course you are entitled to your opinion, which is all this is. I have a different opinion. I find that the discussions were stagnant. Nobody cared to question the status quo. In fact I'd go as far as to say that far too many things were "agreed to" outside of proper process and discussion, and inappropriately outside of public view. We all know how politics works which is why

I for one am happy to see someone on council who is not going to fly with the flock for sake of avoiding conflict or discussion around the table. I am extremely happy to have someone who will question staff and challenge them, which is what our council and mayor are supposed to do.

You talk about coming to meetings ill prepared and you state that Neis is the worst? From my viewpoint I've seen far, far worse at this DWK table.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

nextimeround wrote:It was the press (this very site I believe) that introduced the term "dissension".

Correct http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... to-council

One disagreement raised does not dissension make. I wonder what they'll headline if things really start to heat up?
I birn quil I se
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

"nextimeround"

i happen to agree with you in that Neis is the most uniformed and ill prepared person on Council. It is plainly obvious she doesn't even bother to read many of the staff reports. She has a grating confrontational manner, and discussion was more productive w/o her
And of course you are entitled to your opinion, which is all this is. I have a different opinion. I find that the discussions were stagnant. Nobody cared to question the status quo. In fact I'd go as far as to say that far too many things were "agreed to" outside of proper process and discussion, and inappropriately outside of public view. We all know how politics works which is why

I for one am happy to see someone on council who is not going to fly with the flock for sake of avoiding conflict or discussion around the table. I am extremely happy to have someone who will question staff and challenge them, which is what our council and mayor are supposed to do.

You talk about coming to meetings ill prepared and you state that Neis is the worst? From my viewpoint I've seen far, far worse at this DWK table
(My high-lighting) Yes, the sleeper survived two elections before the surreptitious dozing caught up with him.Now that is real progress, and I doubt there is any dissension attached thereto.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

The foregoing post is utterly inept in attributing who said what about what. It seems to say Nexttimearound says something when, looking at her post, she does not. Learn to quote accurately buddy, and not include someone else's comments as if they were your own or another poster's.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Iincluded, by my own carelessness, an error of attribution that has not, strange to say, been called by anyone. I realised the error only today, should the account of today's local newspaper be more accurate than the earlier one which I chose to accept as accurate and factual.
That being said, I have now added my last words, right here. Not that anything I said (wrote) apparently amounted to a hill of beans.
I do believe that we contributors should elevate rather than denigrate the good people contributing here who have more than a passing interest in the welfare of our district municipality.
I now look forward to a finding a more challenging topic on Castanet that can be bandied around before the elected officials choose to take heed of what we say ( write). Cheers.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I don't think you get it, be disparaging if you wish.

You start out with "nexttimearound" hanging by itself.

Then you go to a paragraph that on the surface appears to be your own statement, but is actually from 1669.

Then you go to the next paragraph that also on the surface appears to be your own statement, but belongs to nexttimearound.

It is a complete aberration of the truth, be disparaging or not as you wish.

I don't know what you're talking about ref. today's newspaper within the context of the foregoing concern and your apparent or supposed explanation.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

[quote="inquisitive"]"nextimeround"

i happen to agree with you in that Neis is the most uniformed and ill prepared person on Council. It is plainly obvious she doesn't even bother to read many of the staff reports. She has a grating confrontational manner, and discussion was more productive w/o her

You talk about coming to meetings ill prepared and you state that Neis is the worst? From my viewpoint I've seen far, far worse at this DWK table
(My high-lighting) Yes, the sleeper survived two elections before the surreptitious dozing caught up with him.Now that is real progress, and I doubt there is any dissension attached thereto.[/quote

In my ineptitude I failed to highlight what I wished to hig light above. The last paragraph here is my comment, but it lost its meaning of course by not separating my comments from the quoted contributor.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I think I've figured it out . . .

I take it your post is based on nextimearound's post from 2:15 p.m. yesterday, six posts before your last one, with a few comments of your own at the end. That took some work, going back and forth. Most people here reading your posts would assume by the lack of quotation marks and indents in your paras that you are making the statements, and even your latest revision would support that I believe. Your format also, when one thinks he has figured it out, makes it look like the first para is written by nextimearound when it is actually nextimearound quoting 1669. I myself never use quotes this way in my own posts for this very reason: I don't know how to do it properly with cut and paste. If I need to quote something, I just type it myself and embed it in my post, with quotation marks, et al. Maybe we, myself included, should enrol in Castanet school.
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

I expect there to be conversation around the council table. That's what makes it vibrant.

Sometimes there are things that come up that no one can plan for, maybe thoughts occur during the table discussion or thoughts occur the night before etc.

I know personally that R does do her research prior as that happened most recently. Just because something is brought up at the council table do not assume that others have not been asked or information relayed. That's a mistake.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

There should be some difference in her attitude and style around the table at the next meetings if she is doing her research. Time will tell.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

My dear former colleague Dorothy Brotherton got a fact wrong in her story about this thread topic in yesterday's WW under the headline "Appointments spark first disputes". Brotherton states, "But Coun. Rosalind Neis, back on council after losing her seat for the last term . . . ."

Coun. Neis did not contest a council seat three years ago but, rather, contested the mayoralty and lost it to Mayor Doug who won it three years before that after she stepped down as our first mayor and topped the polls in a run for council.

Just for the record and because there's lots of newcomers in our district municipality, soon to be city.

Return to “Central Okanagan”