Dissention creeps into WK council

waterwings
Übergod

Re: Dissention creeps into WK council

Post by waterwings »

Ms. Neis was the Mayor at the time the tradition started of appointing the highest vote getter to the RDCO.

The In Augural meeting was held Dec.6th, 2007, Lions Hall. The minutes to same read as follows:

(e) Appointment of Regional District of Central Okanagan Board Directors and Alternates

It was moved and seconded that Council under Section 784 of the Local Government Act, appoint Mayor Neis and Councilor Findlater to the Regional District of Central Okanagan as Municipal Directors and appoint Councilor Knowles as first alternate and Councilor Ophus as second alternate. The motion was carried unanimously.

Findlater got 4810 votes - the largest amount of votes.

In Ms. Neis address to council, visitors, etc., etc., she said she wanted council to operate under consensus. Why change now?
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

So from what I've read thus far including posts from those opposed to this so called dissension, the topic of said dissension has no business being a part of an in-camera meeting. I am surprised to say the least at the absolute belligerent attitude of a couple of the posters over this and it's so clear that you are biased against Ms. Neis. Your points are poorly made, you have no valid argument and you sound like uneducated buffoons. I've heard more sensible sounds coming from a bathroom stall than from some of these ridiculous condemnations of a healthy and long overdue challenge to lazy governance.

Finally democracy is alive and kicking in DWK. Long live dissension!
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

oh my! there are certainly some who have their shirt tails in a knot.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The very use of the word "dissention" reeks of someone trying to create just that.. perhaps to undermine the Council or a Councillor from the very get go. Dissention is a word that always has a negative connotation attached to it. Last I heard, discussions, alternative opinions and debate were everyday occurrences in the chambers of Councils in every town and city. Why is this instance being "set up" as being different? Does someone have an ulterior motive or personal agenda here? I am beginning to think someone is trying to sway the opinion of the "unwashed masses".
Guru

Post by 1669 »

nextimeround wrote:So from what I've read thus far including posts from those opposed to this so called dissension, the topic of said dissension has no business being a part of an in-camera meeting. I am surprised to say the least at the absolute belligerent attitude of a couple of the posters over this and it's so clear that you are biased against Ms. Neis. Your points are poorly made, you have no valid argument and you sound like uneducated buffoons. I've heard more sensible sounds coming from a bathroom stall than from some of these ridiculous condemnations of a healthy and long overdue challenge to lazy governance.

Finally democracy is alive and kicking in DWK. Long live dissension!

I welcome informed opposing viewpoints from council. But too many times I have seen Neis ramble on in uninformed opposition, and it is clear to anyone who has read the staff report on the issue at hand, that she has not. She's an embarrassment.

I expect value for my tax dollars, and that means I expect every councilor to show up prepared and having done their homework. That means reading the staff report before you show up to vote, not just trying to wing it bc you think you know it all.

You talk about belligerent. Perhaps you should review your own post. Uneducated buffoon? lol. I am certainly better educated than any member of Council.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

An MBA can study and dissect spreadsheets all day looking for a way for a corporation to save a buck, but when their toilet stops working they call a journeyman who is knowledgeable in the workings of plumbing systems. To say one person is better educated than another is subjective.
I birn quil I se
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Randall T wrote:An MBA can study and dissect spreadsheets all day looking for a way for a corporation to save a buck, but when their toilet stops working they call a journeyman who is knowledgeable in the workings of plumbing systems. To say one person is better educated than another is subjective.

My comment was not directed at any plumbers. I don't consider plumbers to be uneducated. I respect them and use them all the time.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

1669 wrote:My comment was not directed at any plumbers. I don't consider plumbers to be uneducated. I respect them and use them all the time.

My point was that education comes in many diverse forms.
I birn quil I se
jon peter christoff

Post by jon peter christoff »

Dissension, (noun): comes from the Latin: -to differ in sentiment.
Dissent, (verb): -to express disagreement with an official or widely held view.

Many of Canada's most treasured policies only came about because the electorate voiced loud, strong disagreement with the established order, which I'm sure the not only the most educated of us here but all us the little people understand only too well, furthers agendas that maintains the status quo.

Doing homework and reading the notes from staff, doesn't mean one has to agree.

Dissension was the headline chosen by the editor for the Westside Weekly's article to create controversy to attract readers and it seems was the word chosen by the originator of this thread to continue that controversy .

Rosalind's comments were disagreement with what she viewed as a foregone conclusion by past council and ignored 1) the desire many voters had for change and 2) if you want to go that far back....the choice of the highest vote-getter as was established by her during first council.

Confusing agreement with good government is a big mistake!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

waterwings wrote:Ms. Neis was the Mayor at the time the tradition started of appointing the highest vote getter to the RDCO.

The In Augural meeting was held Dec.6th, 2007, Lions Hall. The minutes to same read as follows:

(e) Appointment of Regional District of Central Okanagan Board Directors and Alternates

It was moved and seconded that Council under Section 784 of the Local Government Act, appoint Mayor Neis and Councilor Findlater to the Regional District of Central Okanagan as Municipal Directors and appoint Councilor Knowles as first alternate and Councilor Ophus as second alternate. The motion was carried unanimously.

Findlater got 4810 votes - the largest amount of votes.

In Ms. Neis address to council, visitors, etc., etc., she said she wanted council to operate under consensus. Why change now?

Unless I read it wrong at the beginning, the mayor (which RN was at the time) is automatic and then the highest vote getter is nominated which DF was at the time so where is the confusion?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Unless I read it wrong at the beginning, the mayor (which RN was at the time) is automatic and then the highest vote getter is nominated which DF was at the time so where is the confusion?

Why did Neis cause upheaval at her first council meeting when she was the very first Mayor of the District and set the tradition in the first place.

And, NO, I have nothing against her at all, however, she misunderstands how democracy works around a council table. If she wants something to change she needs to accept responsibility and let her peers know what she is going to propose before discussion around the table so her peers can be prepared with research (whether it be favourable or not and stop causing discussions that are a waste or not workable for the taxpayers of this district) to vote in an accountable manner for the benefit of the people who live in the district not just on Neis ideas of how things should work. Neis is often uninformed or misinformed or doesn't want anything to change and I see that from watching the videos of her previous sessions whether she was Mayor or a member of Council. She as I said before misunderstands how the table works. Perhaps her training in the health industry suggested the same values will work for her around a district council table. No so The same thing goes for her understanding on how finances work in the district.

And I understand that Neis cares and I understand that she tries to do her best but I also understand that she sets us back decades when she tries to change thought processes without the benefit of due diligence.
jon peter christoff

Post by jon peter christoff »

waterwwings: you wrote "No, I don't have anything against her (Rosalind) at all..."

But when I review everyone of your posts on this thread you have made disparaging comments about Rosalind.

Boy, I would hate to read what you can write when you don't like someone!!!
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Me thinks your reading skills are over active.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Dissension on this thread opens up so many avenues of thought that would otherwise have remained unwritten. Now would our inaction on this thread have benefited mankind more than our voluminous writing? Who is to judge?
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Why did Neis cause upheaval at her first council meeting when she was the very first Mayor of the District and set the tradition in the first place.

And, NO, I have nothing against her at all, however, she misunderstands how democracy works around a council table. If she wants something to change she needs to accept responsibility and let her peers know what she is going to propose before discussion around the table so her peers can be prepared with research (whether it be favourable or not and stop causing discussions that are a waste or not workable for the taxpayers of this district) to vote in an accountable manner for the benefit of the people who live in the district not just on Neis ideas of how things should work. Neis is often uninformed or misinformed or doesn't want anything to change and I see that from watching the videos of her previous sessions whether she was Mayor or a member of Council. She as I said before misunderstands how the table works. Perhaps her training in the health industry suggested the same values will work for her around a district council table. No so The same thing goes for her understanding on how finances work in the district.

And I understand that Neis cares and I understand that she tries to do her best but I also understand that she sets us back decades when she tries to change thought processes without the benefit of due diligence.[/quote]

i happen to agree with you in that Neis is the most uniformed and ill prepared person on Council. It is plainly obvious she doesn't even bother to read many of the staff reports. She has a grating confrontational manner, and discussion was more productive w/o her.

Return to “Central Okanagan”