Boucherie traffic woes set to spike, residents fear.

Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Boucherie traffic woes set to spike, residents fear.

Post by Leifer »

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_deb4a338-80a2-11e4-9b05-ff69d32d25e1.html

Not sure what to make of this.
The new route seems like it would benefit both the residence of Lake View Heights and traffic trying to get into and out of Kelowna via the Westside.
I can’t wait for the ability to *not* add to Bridge Hill congestion while trying to get home at night.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
burner
Fledgling

Re: Boucherie traffic woes set to spike, residents fear.

Post by burner »

Also find it really unlikely that Glenrosa residents are using Boucherie as a "shortcut", I think this will be a real bonus for everyone that has to commute on the highway.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

When I lived in GR, I used Boucherie as a bypass lots.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I asked two friends of mine today (Both current residence of Glenrosa) if they ever used Boucherie to get to the bridge. Both replied that they did use Boucherie if there was an accident on the highway (the odd time they had advanced notice). But for the most part, they found the lower speed limits, farm tractors, longer distance, and constant road work made the bypass worse then just staying on the highway.
Neither mentioned the twisty road or lack of shoulder (for the peds and cyclists) making any impact on Boucherie travel.

2)
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I really can't see how it could negatively affect traffic. The one thing they need to look at though is the intersection of Hudson and Boucherie. Traffic circle, three-way stop, lights??
I birn quil I se
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Does this change mean an end to the Boucherie Road intersection on Hwy 97?

Hope so as that only makes good sense. There's virtually zero justification for it what with traffic being able to get to the bridge/Hwy 97 and Horizon Drive could easily be linked to Nancee Way thus addressing that concern.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Drove in behind the mall tonight through Sneena on to Tomat.
Lovely smooth new road....sidewalks, lights, you name it. And then it dumps into Tomat. That intersection and connection to Boucherie will need to be significantly upgraded. There is no way it could handle any volume in its current configuration.
Last edited by Leifer on Dec 12th, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2)
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Randall T wrote:I really can't see how it could negatively affect traffic. The one thing they need to look at though is the intersection of Hudson and Boucherie. Traffic circle, three-way stop, lights??

Yes that intersection is bad if you are trying to get out of Hudson at the wrong time of day.
treeman97

Post by treeman97 »

I can't wait to see the left hand turn lanes at the highway and Boucherie disappear. It's time to make the highway a highway again and not a local access road.
How to start an argument: State an opinion and wait.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

I am in Glenrosa and it is the only way I go to Kelowna most of the year. It is much quicker (not speed wise, but the highway honestly sucks 90% of the year). The only time we use the highway is when it is snowy/icy. I love the drive and it reminds me of why we live here. Many of our friends who live up here also use this route as well.

Unfortunately, the population in our area of the Westside is growing and with more growth, means more traffic. Not everyone wants to sit in highway traffic when they have a beautiful route to take in its place.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

Been using Boucherie for at least 18 months. Hwy 97 is a joke, West Kelowna ( a virtual ghost town) has 4 lights. Gormans to Boucherie zero stops, zero lights. I would rather travel at a constant 50-60 than to put up the nuts on 97 and the constant red lights and slow drivers.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I have just driven from Kelowna and when you are sitting high up in a commercial truck you can see a lot more. What i can see is that the road that runs up from Cambell and then runs behind the First nation burial ground links to a roundabout and the new road underneath the new underpass, BUT that section is not yet paved, it still looks like gravel! If paving is now finished until Spring what chance is there of this road opening "imminently" as the article states? If they are only opening the northbound side then that is going to do sweet nothing for the Boucherie intersection line ups during evening rush.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

So it seems we are all waiting for a road that does not go where we thought. The story says its now open

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... pass-opens

But it appears to ONLY serve northbound traffic. Not one mention of southbound link up as yet. They suggest it will ease traffic problems but how is that? There are no problems heading into Kelowna except for the lights at Abbott and if traffic is going to avoid the easy merge at Boucherie and head to Campbell rd to merge instead i'm not sure that will help anyone.
Southbound evening congestion is what we all hope to avoid but it seems to me this has not happened (yet anyway) so a total waste of time and money (IMO)
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Just drove the new road yesterday afternoon just to check it out. Indeed the road under Hwy 97 is still dirt and is barricaded off.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Will be interesting when there is an accident on Hwy 97 and everyone rushes to the new road. I would love to be in those few houses

Return to “Central Okanagan”