Traffic cirle, traffic lights, or leave as-is?

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Traffic cirle, traffic lights, or leave as-is?

Post by TreeGuy »

I went through the Daimler Rd/Old Okanagan Highway intersection today, I usually avoid it, especially when school has been just let out. As usual around 3 pm that intersection was NUTS! I needed to make a left turn onto Daimler to get to the highway. I was nosed out past the white stop line just so I could see past the vehicle beside me, trying to make my way into and through the intersection. Admittedly in the wrong for being past the white stop line I had a cement truck come barreling past me and his rear tandem wheels were inches from my bumper (he was turning left onto Old OK Hwy East bound), I was bracing for the impact! I could see the look on the drivers face as he entered the intersection, you could tell he was *bleep*! Having driven large trucks for a living I know how he was feeling and I know it was probably his intention to scare the crap out of me. I don't really blame him, however road rage and being behind the wheel of a large truck is not the best combination.

So now the question, what needs to be done to that intersection to fix the problem? Does the district have any plans to improve that intersection? That intersection has too much traffic at peak times combined with kids darting across the road to get to waiting parents.

*ETA: I have emailed the District to find out if there are any plans for this intersection.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Traffic Circle, Traffic Lights or Leave It As Is?

Post by GordonH »

Since the distance between 2 intersections is rather close (the one in questioned & Hwy 97) traffic light would be out of the line-up (imho).

If a traffic circle would fit then thats the way to go, of course it depends how well the one on Butt Rd works (since it about the same distance off of Hwy 97).
If it's a traffic nightmare, then your left leaving it as it is.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

GordonH wrote:Since the distance between 2 intersections is rather close (the one in questioned & Hwy 97) traffic light would be out of the line-up (imho).

If it's a traffic nightmare, then your left leaving it as it is.

You are right Gordon, a traffic light wouldn't work. However, I don't think leaving it is an option, not after what I experienced yesterday. The Bartley/Byland Rd intersection isn't much better. Just too much volume on our out dated infrastructure.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I avoid that intersection most of the time but especially around CNB opening and closing times. It's brutal. Unfortunately, every solution has a big downside. Put in a light? Four-way stop? Traffic could back up to the highway at times. Round-a-bout? Maybe but when traffic is heavy that's far from ideal. Really, there is no good solution.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yup, the problem is the proximity to the highway. There`s not much you can do there but I think a traffic circle might be at least marginally better.

Some kid is gonna get whacked for sure.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Lights, even timed properly would probably be a nightmare. A traffic circle scenario would be similar to the one on Louie and Butt where it backs up to the highway. The lesser of two evils? Poor planning for sure when the school went in.
I birn quil I se
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

About the only other possibility (besides a traffic circle) would be to make Old Okanagan Hwy & Bylands an underpass.

Like most of road systems in the area very poor thinking ahead.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Traffic circle would be horrible. To close to the highway, it's even closer than Butt is I think and Butt backs up for the highway and comes to a complete standstill during busy times.

Plus, even more important, it would make it even more dangerous for the many kids wjo aren't to lazy to walk to get through the intersection. They presently take their life in their hands with the idiots who run the stop signs there already. Having to dodge traffic circle drivers would end up going a long way the solving the class size issues.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Plain and simple they screwed up when they built that school. It should have been built further back. They lined Ensigns pockets for all that land,they should have used it properly and with some vision.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

The traffic issue probably wasn't so bad when they first built the school. But with the all the new homes in the area and with the road extending through to Shannon Lake the traffic volume is too much for the intersection. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I go through there every day other than being congested when school lets out its never been a problem for me
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

LTD wrote:I go through there every day other than being congested when school lets out its never been a problem for me

During peak hours are you having to turn left or right or are you driving straight through along Daimler? People driving straight through along Daimler would hardly see an issue with the traffic.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

The response from the districts planning department:

"Thank you for forwarding your concern regarding the intersection Old Okanagan Hwy/Daimler Rd. The District of West Kelowna has a Transportation Master Plan which guides us through road and intersection improvements over a 20 year planning horizon. The master plan does not currently included any improvement for this intersection. I should note that this intersection falls within multiple jurisdictions including: Westbank First Nation, Ministry of Transportation and the District of West Kelowna. Any improvement at this location would be a joint initiative and I am not aware of any discussion occurring at this point in time.

Thank you again for forwarding your concern. We will keep this in mind during any future discussions or updates to our master plans."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Until someone gets seriously injured or killed (school students) nothing will be done.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Until someone gets seriously injured or killed (school students) nothing will be done.
Sad but true.

Return to “Central Okanagan”