Beach Ave Speed Limit

Gipper

Beach Ave Speed Limit

Post by Gipper »

So i got pulled over tonight (Monday) at 11:15pm on Beach Ave in Peachland for speeding. The officer gave me a ticket for going 51 km/h. Apparently the speed limit is 30 km/h. Of course i'm miffed but am I wrong to think that this officer is missing some common sense. I realize that it is a very busy stretch of road in the summer with runners, bikers, gawkers and such, but on a Monday night in January at 11:15pm?!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Beach Ave Speed Limit

Post by Bsuds »

Sorry but you can't pick and choose when you feel like doing the speed limit. It's not like it's a school zone and 8am-5pm.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I agree, 30 KPH is pretty slow in the dead of winter. I think doing 51 KPH on a late winters eve a warning might have been nice. Unless he sees you cruising the strip every night, maybe next time turn down the music and roll up the windows, you won't attract so much attention.

I was driving along Gellatly Rd this past summer and was stopped for speeding, I was doing about 45 KPH. I didn't realize that from the Cove Resort to almost the docks is a 30 KPH zone. Thankfully they were just giving out warnings. Well the one officer wrote me up the other was trying to see if he could buy my work trailer from me. LOL Both were senior members, nothing to prove, no attitudes. I think they were just enjoying hanging out at the beach.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Gipper wrote:So i got pulled over tonight (Monday) at 11:15pm on Beach Ave in Peachland for speeding. The officer gave me a ticket for going 51 km/h. Apparently the speed limit is 30 km/h. Of course i'm miffed but am I wrong to think that this officer is missing some common sense. I realize that it is a very busy stretch of road in the summer with runners, bikers, gawkers and such, but on a Monday night in January at 11:15pm?!

rules are rules, you say the cop is missing common sence ?????? lol , you are driving 21km/h over a posted speed limit and your blaming the cop???-the cop did not give you a ticket ,you gave yourself a ticket imho
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The limit is in place 24/7/365 because if it weren't in effect in the dead of winter and people got used to driving 51 kmh, when the busy season starts, old habits, hard to break.

What's the hurry anyhow? Even at night, that's a nice stretch of road.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Mike6921
Fledgling

Post by Mike6921 »

Instead they should fine people going 50 on the Highway, hahaha
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Gipper wrote:So i got pulled over tonight (Monday) at 11:15pm on Beach Ave in Peachland for speeding. The officer gave me a ticket for going 51 km/h. Apparently the speed limit is 30 km/h. Of course i'm miffed but am I wrong to think that this officer is missing some common sense. I realize that it is a very busy stretch of road in the summer with runners, bikers, gawkers and such, but on a Monday night in January at 11:15pm?!

How did the interaction go? I understand that rules are rules but I'd hope that once they discovered I was sober and just made an honest mistake they'd let me off. Of course that only works if you keep your calm and accept it as a lesson learned which is why I'm interested to know how you reacted to being pulled over.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Gipper wrote: The officer gave me a ticket for going 51 km/h. Apparently the speed limit is 30 km/h.

I think this is a real good lesson, pay attention to your speed and don't break the speed limit anywhere else you drive, and you won't get any more tickets!
Yup, you probably weren't doing any harm doing 21 kms/hr over the limit, but I'm betting the disregard for posted speed limits is a bad habit of yours, so you might as well just suck it up, as you deserved it!
If not, I hope you learned something, as that's the reason people get tickets!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

TreeGuy wrote:I was driving along Gellatly Rd this past summer and was stopped for speeding, I was doing about 45 KPH. I didn't realize that from the Cove Resort to almost the docks is a 30 KPH zone.

Wish they would do that more often. I take the boys down to Marina Park at least once a week during the summer and so many blow through along that road. Better signage would help.

To the OP. I get what you are saying. Kind of like the construction zones that ask you to slow down but no one is working. As pointed out; the law is the law.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you are breaking the law, always accept fault because you knew what the rule was, and broke it anyway. If the officer gives you a break, accept it with gratitude, but understand that one person's common sense is another person's flagrant disrespect for the law.

A co-worker was going 100 km in a 50 zone along Commonage Rd. outside of Vernon. The officer let her go because in his words "the speed limit is ridiculously low."

Same thing happened to me, but I was going 100 in a 70 zone at 2 am on a 4 lane highway with no other cars or pedestrians around. The officer told me that since I was not driving unsafely he would give me a warning. He could have given me a ticket, and I would have accepted it because I was breaking the law, but I was grateful for the break. Made sure I drove closer to the limit the rest of the way home.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I fought the Law....and the law won!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

I was very friendly and cordial when he came to my window. I assumed he just wanted to check me out to see if I had been drinking and going over the speed limit gave him reason to do so. I had my papers and license waiting for him. He asked if I knew the speed limit and I said I assumed its 50 km/h as that is what most side streets are unless it's a playground or school zone. He then said to give him a minute. He went back to the car and came back with a ticket. It's my first speeding ticket in probably 7+ years.

I'm not a habitual speeder. Maybe back when I was a youngster but I'm a middle aged man and rarely do anything more than the standard 10 over. I can certainly afford the ticket, it is just alarming that their are officers out there that aren't able to use common sense.

Maybe that's what it is...middle aged white man always takes the brunt.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Gipper wrote: it is just alarming that their are officers out there that aren't able to use common sense.

He might be thinking the same about drivers!
Common sense is driving the posted speed limit, and assuming total responsibility when being ticketed for speeding.
thekid

Post by thekid »

Get a radar detector
got eeeem ahah
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

A co-worker was going 100 km in a 50 zone along Commonage Rd. outside of Vernon. The officer let her go because in his words "the speed limit is ridiculously low.
when that co worker is speeding and kills someone, i wonder how that cop will feel?

Return to “Central Okanagan”