Koi Ponds and Water Gardens

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
desucca

Koi Ponds and Water Gardens

Post by desucca »

Hello all, I thought I'd try a thread to see how many people around the okanagan have either a koi pond or water garden and might want to share pictures, stories, ideas and tips or whatever else you feel relates. I'll start things off a bit, 3 years ago I started a water garden in the back yard of which I'll post a couple pictures once the sun comes back out (should have taken them earlier this weekend!). It's a rewarding hobby for me, mostly to sit around the pond in the early evening to later at night.

I've got 20something goldfish and 2 butterfly koi so far, but I'm thinking of moving about half of the goldfish to an aquarium and adding a few more koi as I just had goldfish up until this year and am loving the koi already!

Anyone else want to share? Also.. if anyone has any suggestions on some potentially lesser known marginal or water plants that are at least relatively hardy to our area I would appreciate some ideas!!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Koi Ponds and Water Gardens

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I started small to see if I could get the goldfish to survive the winter and they did.

Problem I have is apparently the raccoons feel that I saved the fish for them and have eaten all but one. :(
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I have over 20 Koi in a 3500 gallon pond. Kick the gold fish out. Get lots of filtration and change water regularly. Clean filters often with pond water. Also have air stones so the fish are happier. Don't let it freeze over in the winter. Go to Okanagan Koi or Canadian Pond Supplies or somewhere who has lots of proper pond supplies.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

LoneWolf wrote:I started small to see if I could get the goldfish to survive the winter and they did.

Problem I have is apparently the raccoons feel that I saved the fish for them and have eaten all but one. :(

Make it deeper or put string or fishing line around the pond. Give the fish somewhere to hide. Example ..... plants or objects in pond.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

I'm told that having an abrasive material along the edge of the pond will also discourage raccoons. Something like sharp gravel, broken egg shells, landscaping material with tacks etc. The plant idea is a good one, shelf rocks in the water, anything to hide under. I ran very fine wire mesh about 6-8 inches wide around the water edge and disguised it with flat stone.
This signature may be a forgery.
desucca

Post by desucca »

I've got a lot of cover in there now, 3 water lilly's and a couple other plants which are sitting on cinder blocks so they hide in there as well..

I got rid of a couple more goldfish so far and had put in 2 more koi. All 4 koi were doing well but I noticed yesterday that one has disappeared.. not sure what the culprit is (heron, raccoon, alien abduction) but I'm going to keep a closer eye on it.

I get most of my stuff from Okanagan Koi, but I'm starting to notice that for some larger ticket items like pumps and filters her prices, while maybe decent for retail shelves here in Kelowna, are pretty high compared to what you can get if you find someone willing to ship from the US. My brother and a buddy have both purchased filters online recently and one was about $100 less than her once taxed, shipped, delivered and the other was closer to $200!

Must be the 'hummer tax' we're paying for her vehicle along with the 'sunshine tax' :)

I'll continue to buy most of my gear from her though, she's knowledgeable and helpful and for the most part her prices don't make me cringe.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

I was afraid to look at this thread because i knew it would make me cringe...it kinda almost did. Thank you to those people that recommended me...there's a discount in it for you...just kidding..maybe...hmmmm.

I only want to address pricing and why it is what it is and it has nothing to do with my Hummer...thanks anyway for noticing it...like the Koi on it...cool huh...anyway...suppliers here in Canada haven't adjusted their pricing in line with the dollar..so...if i can't buy it for what i think i should be...i can't sell it for what i would like too. There isn't anyone that would like to get your business more than me, i sometimes can get closer to US pricing, close enough to hopefully get your business...if a can do it, i will..simple!

Canadian pricing will never be the same as in the US, it's a simple fact. Our cost of living is higher, our wages are higher, freight is higher, gas prices are higher, there's broker fees, taxes, duty...the list goes on and on. I bring in directly from the US if i can't get what i need or want here. Sometimes i'm just like you...i see a filter i can buy from a supplier in the US for $1000 less than here...how do i justify that price difference to my customer? I can't...i bring in the stuff and pass on the savings..unfortunately, i can't do that with everything. If everyone bought from the US, our country would collapse like the US is...buy Canadian if you can...ask if you can get a discount...we can't sell at cost but there can be a middle ground...just ask. What can you lose...other than the business you are relying on for advice and help when your pond or fish are in trouble...maybe even your own job if everyone buys out of the country...think about it.

Ever tried to return damaged goods through US customs...it's fun and eats up your savings quickly.

So...is everyone reading my articles every month in Gardens West magazine...did you know i wrote for Koi USA too...who knew i was a writer....LOL :nyah: Sorry, that was a shameless plug.

Regards,
Dayleen
aka "The Koi Lady"
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I keep putting bubble bath in my pond so I can look at the bubbles but the fish keep dying. Any suggestions Dayleen?
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

BoB76 wrote:I keep putting bubble bath in my pond so I can look at the bubbles but the fish keep dying. Any suggestions Dayleen?

Bubble bath huh...if you like bubbles so much why don't you dump 20 pounds of food in there...get your organic load up nice and high and watch those bubbles...i think they'll last longer for you..oh...and if you add pond dye, you can turn them blue...cool huh...LOL :dyinglaughing:

Dayleen

Return to “Creative Endeavours”