Wild Asparagus

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
BeautyofAspen

Wild Asparagus

Post by BeautyofAspen »

I recently became aware that wild asparagus grows right here in the hills of Kelowna and it's become a mild obsession to seek and find. Problem is I have no idea where to start or what to look for. Has anyone had any experience, even if you don't want to give up your coveted spots, could you point me in a direction or tell me what to look for?
"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be"
-David Viscott
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Wild Asparagus

Post by gardengirl »

We could tell you, but we'd have to kill you.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
BeautyofAspen

Post by BeautyofAspen »

That is not the first time I have come across that phrase in my search... sigh...
"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be"
-David Viscott
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

It's all over the Rutland benches. I could tell you the exact locations but unless you've lived in the area for years the names won't make any sense to you. Try walking on McKenzie and Latta road. Don't pick if the orchardists have recently sprayed. I haven't picked wild asparagus for years but on a good year my brother-in-law and I could pick 40 lbs. in one afternoon. Mind you we had permission to pick on private property. Personally, I enjoy finding asparagus but I hate the stuff. lol
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Historically speaking ... it USED to grow wild in the ditches along Benvoulin Rd. Trouble is ... you don't know it's there until its too late and it's gone to seed. Looks like an asparagus fern then. If you find those, you can mark them for next year ...

But yes, there's some along Latta and MacKenzie and even Old Vernon Rd.

June used to be asparagus-picking month, I think.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here is a map showing where whild asparagus can be found.

http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/Atlas/Atlas.a ... fficinalis

HABITAT/RANGE

Mesic to dry fields, floodplain thickets, orchards, roadsides and ditches in the lowland and steppe zones; common in S BC east of the Coast-Cascade Mountains, rare along the SW coast; introduced from Europe.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

I had some friends on KLO road years ago who farmed a small patch of asparagus yearly which they sold. The place is a retirement community now. I've been told by many old time orchardists that asparagus was planted under fruit trees as a secondary source of income. This probably explains why it grows wild in Kelowna now. I've always wondered since it grows so well in Kelowna why someone hasn't tried turning it into a profitable business. I've seen large asparagus farms in Keremeos, but that was years ago.

grammafreddy wrote: Looks like an asparagus fern then. If you find those, you can mark them for next year ...

We'd remove the died ferns so only we knew where to pick! lol

I never understood why people cut the tops off the new ferns. I know for a fact that if you let a new asparagus shoot grow into a fern the plant will either stop sending up new shoots or the new shoots will be extremely thin.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We used to find it along side the railway tracks...but I'm saying where! Seriously though, Armstrong area has a few asparagus farms. And every garden center I'm in has packages of seeds and roots for establishing asparagus in a garden. The Greenry had plastic bags with A. roots, with instructions. I'm tempted to try it. Got one area where it may "take".
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Asparagus is up! Nice large shoots this year so get looking. :runforlife:
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Just dont eat raw asparagus except in well ventilated areas.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Is it just me, or was this a really short spear season? All of my secret spots have gone to seed already. They stops giving good spears after just a few weeks, and have all stopped now and just put up chutes for seed. It was good while it lasted, but in previous years it was much a longer season.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Graham Adder wrote:Is it just me, or was this a really short spear season? All of my secret spots have gone to seed already. They stops giving good spears after just a few weeks, and have all stopped now and just put up chutes for seed. It was good while it lasted, but in previous years it was much a longer season.

No water! Some years it just keeps on sending up new shoots, not this year. The second wild crop this year in my area shriveled up. The best years are a combination of heavy rains followed by hot sun. Or a fire. My favorite hillside caught fire one year and burnt everything! The following year was the best harvest ever -- 40 lbs. in one day!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

guess what?

IT'S UP!!!

(that's what she said)

I've had one feed already and another one is ready for the 'snap'.

This rain should help them to bump the next bunch of spears up and maybe get those going that have so far remained unproductive.

It's not looking like it'll be a very productive year this year (much same as last), but if it is I think I may have to try pickling some spears this season to help me stir my winter warmth (Caesars!!!) and keep my social circle jealous.

Nothing...I mean NOTHING beats a freshly snapped spear...

I have a difficult time getting them home. They are so tasty freshly snapped...mmmmmmm...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Off to check my secret spots ..... yummy!!!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”