Model railroading in and around Kelowna?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
hoggrken

Model railroading in and around Kelowna?

Post by hoggrken »

Hi to the forum...from St. Albert (just outside Edmonton) AB...Hope all will end up to be OK with the Rose Valley fire and evacuations...

First off, I hope this is the right 'place' (sub-forum?) to start a thread on model railroading in the Kelowna / Central Okanagan Region. I am currently working on a loose adaptation of Kelowna / Winfield in HO, with a layout measuring 12 by 20 plus feet. Basically 80's to present day, with a slight anachronistic 'backwards step' to include car barge service for Penticton and Peachland (Trepanier Creek). This will focus on CN and CP operations (before Kelowna Pacific and Okanagan Valley shortline operators). The trackage is about 80-85 percent complete, with scenery construction underway.

Question I have...are there any 'local' (e.g. - Kelowna / Winfield / Peachland ) modellers on this forum? It would be neat to be able to converse with you. Also, I am looking for some scenery photos, especially trees and flora between the North end of Kelowna...like the airport...up towards Oyama. I plan on doing some small ponds, with weed detail, so these would be great to see as well.

I have a few items to tend to, so I will cut this post short for now. I hope to be able to post some of my layout photos in future posts...Thanks in advance!

Regards...Ken in St. Albert AB.
Born_again
Guru

Re: Model railroading in and around Kelowna?

Post by Born_again »

You should speak to the good folk at the Peachland Museum. They have a fantastic model railway at the museum, and I believe the enthusiasts meet regularly.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Google earth probably is already on your source list, but if you give me a specific location esp on the east side of woods lake I will try and get pics for you.
We're lost but we're making good time.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

If you need pics of weeds, I'll be happy to oblige. I have thousands of them!

Sounds like a wonderful project - how long have you been working on it?

I do believe there is a model railway club in Vernon. They are set up at the O'Keefe Ranch with a big display.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
hoggrken

Post by hoggrken »

Hey guys...

Gramma, I have been 'workin on the railroad' (the model version) for a little over two years. I've been on the real McCoy for almost 30 years. I would say the layout is about 60 percent complete.

Hah! I'll take pictures of the wild oats and thistles in my lawn and I'll trade you weed photos :127:

Nibs...Yes, Google earth is a great resource, but it still doesn't beat being there. As far as scenery photos go, I'm thinking from the old Hiram Walker plant to the north end of Woodsdale (if that makes sense). I plan on doing a 'compreessed' model of Ashland Chemicals in Winfield. I seem to think there is a lot of broadleaf (deciduous) trees in this stretch, with a significant number of weeping willows. I'm going to have to learn to scratch build weeping willow trees.

Anyhow, I'm lined up for the Calgary intermodal (container) train at 05:30 so I should get to bed...

Regards...Ken in St. Albert AB (I'll have to attach some photos in a future post...)
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

If it cools down a bit, I will wander around down there with my camera, do you want shots from the tracks or just general street scenes etc.?

We are getting ash from the terrace fire dropping so it aint too nice out there.
We're lost but we're making good time.
hoggrken

Post by hoggrken »

Hi Nibs and everyone else...Sorry but I've been busy, busy!

Some general street scenes would be good. If there are any creeks or ponds close by, this would be great...I am going to superdetail my pond and beaver dam, plus my 'white water' stream.

The wife and I are going to Calgary and Didsbury to help two of our daughters (lawn work and moving) plus a wedding reception this weekend. I won't be able to upload any photos until I get back...

Regards...

Ken.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I can't wait to see pictures of this. Even when I was a kid, I always found model railroads amazing. :biggrin:
NL_Expatriate

Post by NL_Expatriate »

I know this isn't exactly the topic of this thread but could someone tell me if there is a model rr club in Kelowna?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Try a local hobby shop - where you buy your kits. I'm sure they'd have some info.
I haven't failed until I quit.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I would talk to they guys at "ABC hobby and shaver". I have been in there and looked at many of there items like that. I think they might even have a mini rail way set up.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

NL_Expatriate wrote:I know this isn't exactly the topic of this thread but could someone tell me if there is a model rr club in Kelowna?

Hobby and Shaver is the one that I found.
http://www.caorm.org/hobbyshops_pacific.html
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”