Why grow what we cannot eat?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

Re: Why grow what we cannot eat?

Postby Glacier » Jan 4th, 2010, 2:02 pm

kccayenne wrote:I had the hankerin' for raspberries yesterday, but a small package (barely a handfull) is upwards of $5! The cheaper, frozen ones are covered in slimy corn syrup sickly crap. To be able to toss some in freezer baggies for later would be wonnnnderful. Plain yogurt with granola and berries... mmmmm.

I'd yank the flowers and plant the fruit.

For me, I prefer to let someone else have the hassle of growing them. I took my kids to an organic berry patch last year and we picked something like 40 pounds of raspberries and blueberries (plus we probably ate at least 10lbs while we were picking). The raspberries were $1.50 a pound.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10011 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 4th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Glace, unbeknownst to you, you made the case for a lesser known berry, perhaps Young Berry or Tay, or a new variety unknown at this time.

If the regular Raspberry is commercially grown so easily, perhaps I'd better rethink another less available variety.

BTW, our Black Berry is strong now, so this is the year we expect fruit on it.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy? ETA: sometimes I out-clever myself and sabatoge happiness. How does that work?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13282 posts

Postby BVulgaris » Jan 25th, 2010, 11:03 am

the fact is, if you have the time patience and curiosity plants are great to grow and reap the rewards of.

But you are fighting time economics. If you can take that time and enjoy learning, designing, and taking care of plants then you can get some yeild that matters comming out of your yard. But not having the time to tend or properly design the garden can lead to some serious disasters and disease in and on the soil, thus causing you to spend through the nose on synthetic problem solvers.

My father says why spend an hour worth 20 bux to you on an issue that returns less. Compounding this with the risk of disease many stick to very easy self regulating plants. However there are things that are edible that will grow healthily inspite of what you do. But again, this requires a want to learn and long term planning (such as the dredfull day of harvest and canning).

But these were the activities that familys came together to help with. It was necessary and so became a social event. I highly suggest anyone pick up a history oriented book and see how people lived just 50 years ago, then look at the differences 1000 years ago. Its quite amazing.

One solution is to plant more herbs. Most herbs are low maintenance and you can spice up your foods or use them as medicine (which may be come illegal one day *rolls eyes*). Some herbs can help in deturing pests and disease and so can complement your berry bush.

Gardening is a way of life. The ancient persian kings wanted to be remembered as gardeners of their people and gardeners of the land. The key to life is in the soil!
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Queen K » Jan 25th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Which is precisely why we have a three bin compost system.

And harvest around here is looked forward to, not dreaded.

I don't give a rat's tail how people had to live 50 years ago, seriously. I live in the now. And work with people all day who tell me that 50 years ago they almost dropped dead from the hardships and work they had to do. And their health is destroyed because of it. But they all gardened or didn't eat. And the kids were not an excuse not to have a garden, but the source of labour for weeding and watering and bringing in the cukes and onions and whatever else they could use.

Sometimes we give away produce, most times we eat it every day, I don't see gardening as an impediment to my life, but an adjunct to it. I dread the day I can't garden anymore, if that should ever happen, I hope they find me toes up in the carrot patch.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy? ETA: sometimes I out-clever myself and sabatoge happiness. How does that work?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby BVulgaris » Feb 5th, 2010, 11:00 pm

well said! i do agree with working smarter not harder. I find reinventing older techniques some times can provide great results, but anything that gets your hands in the soil.... feels good :)
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Postby daduck » Mar 15th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Last summer I pulled out my old roses that were a pain ( both literally when I pruned them and figuratively for the amount of work needed to keep them in line). Instead I planted tomatoes in my front garden. Since they were facing west, they got a lot of sun. With the addition of some good compost and peat moss, I had a bumper crop. I had tomatoes coming out the you know what! I think the best thing I harvested from this new crop though was all the new neighbours I met while I was out picking them. I gave away a lot of tomatoes and met a lot of interesting people I would never have known if I had stayed on my back deck. If people would get out of their back yards, perhaps we would get to know each other better. Personally, I am all for the old front porch design of houses and smaller, closer to the street front yards. This year, I am planning more vegetables for the front yard. There are lots of veggies with beautiful blooms and what could be more beautiful than a bountiful garden? I someone wants to raid it a get a few carrots happy munching to them!

NurseNancy
daduck

Postby BVulgaris » Mar 16th, 2010, 3:14 am

glad to hear about the tomatoes :) squashes are really good too... i love spaghetti squash and it grows prolifically. I've been wanting to try the 3 crop system (corn/beans/squash) and see how well it works. Im still a novice at this though...
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Postby Catsumi » Jul 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Bump.

I wonder if more folks are doing away with their lawns and instead, planting squash, carrots, spuds and onions, etc? Grass looks nice but requires lots of water, fertilizer, cutting, weeding or poisoning.

I have noticed gardens around here that do a mix of flowering plants with the edibles, still looks good. Dark green parsley set off against bright flowers is very attractive.

Food prices this winter I anticipate to be much higher than last year with fuel prices so high now.

Goji berries, QK, did they produce as you'd hoped back in 2010?
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2664 posts

Postby Queen K » Jul 28th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Alas my goji is only two years in and though we had lots of growth on it there were no flowers.

Maybe next year?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Catsumi » Jul 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Never had one goji in my life....maybe in 2019?

I believe they were touted as one of those miracle foods, yes?

Anyway, has anyone out there ripped their lawn to plant edibles?
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2664 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 28th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Each year I lose a little more lawn to garden space. The only problem is, I'm getting to the point where I can't take care of it all.

I'm thinking possibly of laying down landscape fabric (what to cover it with, though?) and putting in a few rows of blueberries, and a peach. Maybe a cherry tree. Husband said "no trees!" because they are so much work. This year we had Yard by Yard come in to take care of our plum. Next year they will have it properly pruned. After that there will be NO way I'll be pruning trees again - so I might as well have them take care of additional fruit trees :biggrin:

This will happen in a few years at the earliest. I have a patio to build, a bathroom to renovate (starting next week, whee!).

This afternoon my best friend was helping me put in irrigation to my difficult-to-water beds. I only have one more I need to be done this year. Then next year (or this fall) I'll build two archway/pergola things and then I'll will a) have a support for vines and grapes and b) it will be a pathway for further irrigation. I like the idea of using less water and targeting plants specifically.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3984 posts

Postby Queen K » Jul 28th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Catsumi wrote:Never had one goji in my life....maybe in 2019?

I believe they were touted as one of those miracle foods, yes?

Anyway, has anyone out there ripped their lawn to plant edibles?

Besides me?

:biggrin:

I am so happy with our blue berries we are getting more.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Previous

Return to Creative Endeavours