Blogging and Online Journals - do you do it? Why?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Blogging and Online Journals - do you do it? Why?

Post by Snickerdoodle »

I'm wondering if anyone out there blogs, or does online journaling? I have blogged before, but its always been around my horse and his lessons, training and showing and more so because we had quite a large group of young fans, and it was a nice way for them to stay in touch.

But with my new job, once I start training, and even now they promote, and soon will have mandatory journaling (I deal with crisis management let just say - extremely high high stress issues with my job) so they find journalling to work. My trainer will be allowed to read it, so calling that person an sob isn't going to quite cut it. But it all got me thinking instead of hand writing out a journal, why don't I just do it online. That way when I'm at training and away from my family they can read and see what I go through also.

I'm not so sure though if I want everyone seeing everything I write, some days, the venting I need to do would not be great idea to show anyone. As well much of my job would is confidential, so I'm not sure this is such a good idea, unless I can limit the entries and who I want to see what.

What is your experience with journaling, is there a site that is better then others? Why do you do it? Do you let anyone see it?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Blogging and Online Journals - do you do it? Why?

Post by Queen K »

Okay, I've blogged my Kitchen Renos, not to hog it all, but to stimulate conversation about renos and how they go, or don't go. I've gotten alot of support and information and opinions and it all has helped. But hopefully helped others too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

i think most blogging sites have privacy features where only individuals have access to your blog. http://www.blogger.com, http://wordpress.com, et cetera.

if you have gmail you have google documents that can be shared with people, they can view, edit, by invite. if you dont have Gmail you can always sign up
http://www.gmail.com

to view their help page, for google documents, you can use their online document program (word processor) or you can use your computer word processing program, IE, word.

http://docs.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=15114
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

You could set up a facebook account for very private blogging (making VERY sure that all privacy settings are in place, natch).
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Livejournal is good for blogging too . . . I'm not disciplined enough to blog on a regular basis.
I haven't failed until I quit.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

I set up a blog on word press and it turned into the Hank Yarbo blog from hell. Nobody came to visit me, and I had nothing to say.
Kinda like my day to day life.
This signature may be a forgery.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

I keep a blog that I started up late last year. I wouldn't say I use it as a journal, per se, it's in general just random commentary, but because I work alone and live alone, I like having a space to put stuff out there when there's no one else around.

I don't know if anyone reads it. A handful of friends have the link, but I don't 'promote' it or anything.

I have rules around it that I keep. I don't post anything about my job specifics. Nothing more specific than "I had a bad day at work", or "I work a 9-5 job". I also don't *bleep* about my family/friends there. That stuff'll bite you in the *bleep*. And I won't go back and edit anything out after the fact. If I posted it, I did it for a reason, no looking back. I don't force myself to a schedule or anything. Just when something comes up I feel like writing about, I do it.

I'm not certain, but I think livejournal allows you to mark some posts as private and others as public, so that may work for you - keeping public the posts that are okay for your trainer to see, marking private the ones that are for your own venting. Good luck!
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I blog ... for my photography. It's all public, nothing private. Private stuff I keep in my head.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

grammafreddy wrote:I blog ... for my photography. It's all public, nothing private. Private stuff I keep in my head.

Does it get crowded in there, with all the voices too? :-)
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

I don't know if anyone reads it. A handful of friends have the link, but I don't 'promote' it or anything.

Thats the most fun. I keep a blog and I track all the activity. Its helpful because it lets you know what topics get you the most hits.

I use this site: http://www.statcounter.com/
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

My daughter finally posted a comment on my blog last night, after I strongly hinted that nobody loves me.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

dandynick5 wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:I blog ... for my photography. It's all public, nothing private. Private stuff I keep in my head.

Does it get crowded in there, with all the voices too? :-)

It does - and I am such a collector of "stuff". Do you think it's true that humans only use about 5% of their brains? If so, there's 95% of it left for storing more stuff :D :D :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

dandynick5 wrote:My daughter finally posted a comment on my blog last night, after I strongly hinted that nobody loves me.

If I knew you had a blog, I would check it out once in a while. I kinda like Hank's view on things.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

It's still in it's infancy. Right now I make Hank look like a chatterbox. In the meantime, it's really not hard to find!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Found it. It needs a little ummm, "work" and we all know what Hank thinks about work!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”