Gardening 2011

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Gardening 2011

Post by pbear »

I realize it is still February but the sunshine this morning felt warm and I am already experiencing a surge of spring fever. The Greenery (I heart the Greenery) is opening in a month and I'm already planning where to put those early pansies and violas. Had a great browse through the last issue of Gardens West and saw some great new small flowering bushes that would fill in some bare spots here and there. Am planning a major overhaul of an older perennial bed to get rid of a few plants that are more work than I want to do. Thinking ahead to the veggie beds..... Hubby has developed food issues and can't eat tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes. So I'll have extra room.....Anyone have any suggestions on other veggies they love? I love to try some new-to-me varieties.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Gardening 2011

Post by prairieflower »

Peas, edemamies, carrots, variety of melons, variety of squash, corn, herbs, parnsips, brussel sprouts, kolrabe.... we have all of these plus cauliflower, broccoli, many different lettuces.

We have a huge garden up in Glenrosa and love trying new items as well. We grow all of the above and then some LOL..

Spring cannot come soon enough here.

Why not plant some new variety of flowers. Tiger lilies are great and regenerate. Iris' of every color.

Good luck and have fun!
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Last Saturday I had a wonderful yard day in the sunshine, that is when I noticed most of my bulbs have already shot up about 2 inches and all the new buds on the lilacs and rose bushes!

Spring is just around the corner - hooray! :sunshine:
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

What type of perennials are you planning to eliminate, pbear? Depending on what you have I may want to take a few off your hands or possibly swapping if I have anything you may be interest in.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Last Saturday I had a wonderful yard day in the sunshine, that is when I noticed most of my bulbs have already shot up about 2 inches and all the new buds on the lilacs and rose bushes!

Spring is just around the corner - hooray! :sunshine:

I get so worried when i see those lil buds coming up....all we need is a bad frost and they die....Here's keeping my fingers crossed we have had the last of the huge deep freezes :)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Up here on my mountain I am still buried in snow in the garden and flower beds. But the garden catalogs are keeping me happy for now. Lovely wind we had last night made a lot of the snow go away and I am hoping that's the end of the big snows for this year. Has been a very nice winter so far (if one can call anything about winter "nice" :() Sun's gone down and it's still 10 above - YAY!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Was at the dollar store this morning and they have packages of vegetable and flower seeds on sale 2/$1.00. Checked the dates and the earliest best before planting date was Dec 2011 - most were Dec 2012.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

We were digging in our garden January 23 of this year. mrs. o-bm has started some plants in her indoor greenhouse.
Won't be long.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Spring isn't coming fast enough, snow this morning? Oh no! I've planned out where I'm moving perennials and which ones I want to split up, where I'm going to plant annuals etc. My garden has looked relatively the same for quite a few years so I've mapped out something a little different. I can't wait to see what treasures pop up this year - I hardly had to purchase any annuals last spring as so many reseeded themselves from the year prior.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Great news people, the Greenery is now open for the season!!!

While it may be too early to plant, it isn't too early to plan or to browse :discodance: :sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

If any of you are looking to plant something different this year I would highly recommend that you check out this event next Saturday (Mar.12th) at the College on KLO Rd. We attended last year and found some really unique seeds. Stuff you'll NEVER ever see at Art Knapp's, The Greenery, Bylands, etc.

Kelowna, BC
KLO Campus of Okanagan College
Saturday March 12, 2011 10-3

The seed swap will include a focus on organic and local seeds, plants, and garden related materials. Come and bring your cherished saved seed and family treasures to trade a the trading table. There will heritage and organic seeds, along with coffee, food, snacks, music, and speakers. The Kelowna Community Seed Swap will be joined again this year by the Travelling World Community Film Festival, which will be showing over 30 films during the weekend. Visit their site at http://www.worldfilmfestkelowna.net
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I went last year and it is truly a good event for people with a little extra cash who are willing to support local farmers and seed savers.

Thanks for the reminder Tootsie.

Is it too early to start uncovering plants from a cover of leaves people? I am itching to do it, but considering that Arctic blast a few days ago I'm apprehensive.

The cold weather did in the Swiss Chard that managed to live, but the parley made it.

Tulips are showing through by a half inch. My Forsythia have just a few days to live, I've decided I've had eight years of front yard living with them only to get 3 weeks of flowers and nothing else but pruning isn't worth it. Out they come. Advice?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Tootsie wrote:If any of you are looking to plant something different this year I would highly recommend that you check out this event next Saturday (Mar.12th) at the College on KLO Rd. We attended last year and found some really unique seeds. Stuff you'll NEVER ever see at Art Knapp's, The Greenery, Bylands, etc.

Kelowna, BC
KLO Campus of Okanagan College
Saturday March 12, 2011 10-3

The seed swap will include a focus on organic and local seeds, plants, and garden related materials. Come and bring your cherished saved seed and family treasures to trade a the trading table. There will heritage and organic seeds, along with coffee, food, snacks, music, and speakers. The Kelowna Community Seed Swap will be joined again this year by the Travelling World Community Film Festival, which will be showing over 30 films during the weekend. Visit their site at http://www.worldfilmfestkelowna.net

:123:

Thanks for the heads-up Tootsie! I missed this last year . . .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Take cash. There is so much interesting stuff to buy and last year I underestimated how much I'd need in cash. Wish I had bought those fresh onion seeds too, the packaged stuff I ended up with later wasn't worth buying.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

duly noted, will bring cash.

What was with snow this morning?? Swear mom nature is yanking our chains =__=

Return to “Creative Endeavours”