Crafts

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Libelle
Guru

Crafts

Post by Libelle »

I thought this might be a good idea for a thread topic. To discuss how to make crafts that you have made or need advice in how to make. Also about craft supplies what brands you like best from paint to paper to pencils. I love to paint jewelry boxes for my daughter, and am working on a necklace hanger for her, she needs two of them. It would be nice to see people's creations when they are finished. :sunshine:
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
TyrianQuill
Board Meister

Re: Crafts

Post by TyrianQuill »

Hi :biggrin: great thread
I don't do crafts per se but ... every once in a long while I actually do try.
One of my "hobbies" is antique and vintage linens; I collect refurbish maintain and pass along.
The following is a link to one of my early posts on my (at present) inactive blog:

http://elegancereclaimed.blogspot.com/2009/11/with-my-new-inspiration.html

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place (George Bernard Shaw)
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I'm not super crafty, I find crafts fiddley things.
But I do make my own clothes, from my own patterns.
Mostly skirts and dresses as I can never find the type of stuff I like in stores. I'm not really a pants person.
Also I'm not a conventional size so even if I find something I might like, it's too short or doesn't fit right.
Usually too tight in the hips and bust and too big in the waist.
Another thing that's quite important is having a decent dress makers form. I'm going to make one of these to help me out
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFqtWcDxDsI&feature=related[/youtube]
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

Nom de Plume - Let me know how that works out for you, I'm super curious to try it now!

Any knitters?? I am so very green at it, and am looking for someone to point out a good Youtube video or book source? Was hoping to make Xmas Gifts... don't know what I was thinking... :dyinglaughing:
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

What are you planning to make for gifts; scarves, hats, dishcloths, teatowels?
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

For now, scarves, but I want to knit hats/toques sometime too. I love those tea cloths, remind me of Grandma :sunshine:
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

I love those knitted dish clothes, that is all I like to use. I wish I knew how to make my own.
TyrianQuill
Board Meister

Post by TyrianQuill »

Just sharing an idea: a friend of mine crocheted me two dish scraper-pad-thingies a few years ago, She crocheted them to be lije and the same size as those colourful round mesh ones you can buy in the stores. The ones my friend made were made out of fine crinoline netting she cut into strips and crocheted as though wool. Believe it or not I am still using the first one she made me and am saving the second one for when the first one wears out. It has, so far, lasted well over a year and a half. I stick it on the shelf of the dishwasher ever time I turn the machine on just to clean and sterilize it; it sure is a wonder!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place (George Bernard Shaw)
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

TyrianQuill wrote:Just sharing an idea: a friend of mine crocheted me two dish scraper-pad-thingies a few years ago, She crocheted them to be lije and the same size as those colourful round mesh ones you can buy in the stores. The ones my friend made were made out of fine crinoline netting she cut into strips and crocheted as though wool. Believe it or not I am still using the first one she made me and am saving the second one for when the first one wears out. It has, so far, lasted well over a year and a half. I stick it on the shelf of the dishwasher ever time I turn the machine on just to clean and sterilize it; it sure is a wonder!

Nice!!!
I never thought of doing that.
I don't crochet but I'll ask my friend who does.
I'm making reversible bathrobes for my daughters for xmas.
One I just finished and has already been sent to my youngest in Ontario. Didn't think to take pics of it, I'll ask her to send me one. I'll be starting on the second one next week sometime as my elder daughter is coming home for xmas so I have more time.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Ok she sent me the pic. Sorry it's kinda blurry etc, neither of us own a camera so we're relying on cell phone imaging.
she's photgraphed it with the satin chinese print to the outside. which is how she likes to wear it most apparently.
as I mentioned it's completely reversible. the other side is black polar fleece.
~ Terry Pratchett
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Gorgeous! I love the fabric - Chinese dragons?
I haven't failed until I quit.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

mee-mo87 wrote:For now, scarves, but I want to knit hats/toques sometime too. I love those tea cloths, remind me of Grandma :sunshine:

Hiya! Sorry lost track of this thread for a bit :)
Scarves are fun; you can experiment with knit/purls, needle size, types of yarn etc. Try a chenille yarn with 10mm needles basic knit stitch (no purling etc) for an ultra soft, chunky scarf.
Check out YouTube videos and http://theknittingsite.com
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Ok she sent me the pic. Sorry it's kinda blurry etc, neither of us own a camera so we're relying on cell phone imaging.
she's photgraphed it with the satin chinese print to the outside. which is how she likes to wear it most apparently.
as I mentioned it's completely reversible. the other side is black polar fleece.

Beautiful! Love it. Did you make it Nom?
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Libelle wrote:
Beautiful! Love it. Did you make it Nom?

Yes, she says she tends to wear it chinese satin dragon side out and polar fleece next to her skin.
I'm making another one for my other daughter in blues (kinda) she chose the fabric when she was here for the funeral.
hers is cookie monster type fur on the outside (or inside) and blue satin on the inside (outside) it will be reversible as well so she can do whatever.
She gets leave for xmas so she'll be here.
For the faux-son, I'm making pj pants (he doesn't wear tops) he already has a robe.
~ Terry Pratchett
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Libelle wrote:I love those knitted dish clothes, that is all I like to use. I wish I knew how to make my own.

Knitted dishcloth pattern.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”