New plant species discovered in Madagascar

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

New plant species discovered in Madagascar

Post by oneh2obabe »

Debra Black
Staff Reporter

A new species of a plant —known for its phallic shape and bad odour— has been discovered by a University of Utah botanist.

The new species, which is a member of the Amorphophallus family and a relative of the “corpse flower”, was found on a small island off the coast of Madagascar in 2006 and 2007 by Gregory Wahlert.

Wahlert had gone to Nosy Mitsio Archipelago to search for tree violets, one of his specialties. While there he stumbled upon the strange-shaped plants.

“They were in full bloom and I grabbed a few,” Wahlert said. “I cut them and put them in a plant press and made a herbarium specimen of them and brought them back.

“I knew they were Amorphophallus, but I didn’t know the species — if it was something new or had already been described.”

It turned out that French botanist Joseph Marie Henri Perrier de la Bâthie had been to the same location in 1932.

He, too, had pressed and mounted the plants and then submitted them to the National Museum of Natural History in Paris. However, he never realized he had found a new species.

Later back at the university, in consultation with other botanists, Wahlert realized that the Amorphophallus, which in Greek means “misshapen” or “deformed” penis, plants he’d brought back were indeed a new species. Wahlert has named the new species “A. perrieri” after Perrier.

While on Nosy Mitsio Wahlert also took some of the tubers (outgrowth) of the plant and planted them in the greenhouse at the University of Utah.

The plants sat dormant until recently. First a little flower bud popped out, he explained. Then over two weeks the plant grew to about five feet (1.5 meters), Walhert said.

At the beginning of February the plant came into full maturity. And with it an awful odour, Wahlert said.

“The plant smells horrible,” said Wahlert who described it as a combination of rotting meat and feces. “It’s foul. But bugs however love it.”

The smell lasts for a couple of days and the flower lasts for about a week before dying.

With Wahlert’s identification of the plant this brings the total of species in the genus Amorphophallus to 170.

It could take up to a year before his discovery is officially recognized, Wahlert said, who is writing a report about his findings.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... madagascar
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”