Gardening: Veggies and Flowers 2012

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening: Veggies and Flowers 2012

Post by Lady tehMa »

My indeterminate tomatoes are still producing beautifully, and rival the brandywines for flavour. I have to thank the person I got them from again (and again and again . . .) :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We're so busy I can't even get to the garden right now. But I did reach the keyboard :ohmygod:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I harvested a large box of tomatoes, now have 12 quarts canned. I think this weekend I'll can winter salad (basically pickled coleslaw)
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Lady tehMa wrote:I harvested a large box of tomatoes, now have 12 quarts canned. I think this weekend I'll can winter salad (basically pickled coleslaw)

Mmmmm I've never heard of this, but it sounds delicious! Recipe please!!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Sige wrote:Mmmmm I've never heard of this, but it sounds delicious! Recipe please!!

Okay Sige :biggrin:

Syrup: 1 quart vinegar (heinz pickling vinegar is best), 5 cups sugar, 1 tbsp celery seed, 1 tbsp mustard seed. Cook the syrup up, and let cool (doesn't have to be cold, but safer to work with if it isn't boiling).

Chop or shred the following into a large bowl:
3 cabbages, 6 long carrots, 6 large onions, 1 red & 1 green pepper. Cover with cold water 1/2 cup coarse salt and let stand 3 hours. Drain well. When drained, pack into jars (really mash it in there, I find a wooden spoon to be a good tool for that) and cover with syrup, leaving standard headspace (half inch or so). Cap with rings & seals. Process in a canner for about 15 minutes and then let cool. I think it needs to sit about 6 weeks before they're ready.

If your cabbages are big you'll need to add more of the other veggies and cook up more syrup. It makes roughly 10 quarts, but because veggies aren't standard sizes you never know.

Hope they turn out for you, I love it with beef dip type sandwiches . . . :megagrin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks for that, could we uh, "sample" sometime to see if we want to make a wack of it? Pretty please?

When you sample our homemade HP sauce, I think you'll want that recipe soon :discodance:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Thanks for that, could we uh, "sample" sometime to see if we want to make a wack of it? Pretty please?

When you sample our homemade HP sauce, I think you'll want that recipe soon :discodance:

I would let you sample, except we're all out and have been since May or so :p I will have to try your HP sauce :discodance:
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

I've got the biggest sunflower
17 feet tall with a head diameter of a solid 16 inches.
:sunshine: :sillygrin:
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Awesome Fixer,

We've had multiple birds in our sunflowers all weekend.
Last of the flowers in the wheelbarrow gardens are still blooming but today I do yard clean up big time.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Wow Fix, bet that would have won at the IPE!

Garden cleanup is tomorrow for me. Today is food prep and turkey coma. :sunshine:

Swiss chard and kale are still going strong, today I harvest and preserve some.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fixer 166 wrote:I've got the biggest sunflower
17 feet tall with a head diameter of a solid 16 inches.
:sunshine: :sillygrin:

Wow, and I thought my sunflowers were impressive measuring in at 9 ft. tall with 12 inch heads!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

I think it was all that pure Alberta sunshine. :sunshine:
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I've got tonnes of tomatoes,can I just give them a wash then throw them in freezer bags?
Just want to use them in sauces over the winter.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

nickd wrote:I've got tonnes of tomatoes,can I just give them a wash then throw them in freezer bags?

Yes you can. Put tomatoes in resealable plastic bags, suck excess air out (use a straw to do this), seal, and freeze. There is no need to peel the tomatoes - the skins will slip right off after being frozen. Use the frozen tomatoes in any recipe that cooks fresh tomatoes.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Thnx H20
PM me if you want some.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”