Gardening: Veggies and Flowers 2012

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Gardening: Veggies and Flowers 2012

Post by oneh2obabe »

Tip ... put tomatoes (or anything you have a lot of) on a baking sheet covered with wax or parchment paper; put in freezer; put in bag when frozen. Helps keep things from sticking together.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

About time we got some rain, bring it. Perennials need lots of root development to make it through the Winter, and finally we have rain to help them out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Digging out compost bins yesterday, got lots of rich worm castings, more than I thought even. Am topping up raspberry beds with a dressing of it, Roses, and others. Moisture is good for compost piles, nothing rots if it's dry. Last Spring I dug out a bunch of perfectly preserved dry leaves I thought had been wet down for the Winter and had to start all over again with them.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

How late do you gardeners leave your carrots in?
How long can I let them chug away in the garden?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Usually all through Winter, but we dug ours out cuz they're in raised garden beds, where they don't survive the cold.

But they are awfully good now, so why leave them in at all?

Got lots or some? If lots I'd dig most out over the next few weeks and leave some in to see how a few do over the Winter.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Steps For Overwintering Carrots In The Ground
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegeta ... arrots.htm
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Thank you for the link! Brilliant! I will have to try this for next year - I have only a few carrots still left and I'm planning on eating them soon. :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Anyone got a wack of green tomatoes they won't be dealing with? I'd like to make more green tomato chutney if todays results are any indication. :discodance:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That chutney is an awesome recipe - gonna have to make it again next year.

Just as it was snowing on Friday I went out and picked my chard, got it all frozen yesterday. I will have a ton of cleanup in the spring as I really didn't get to it in the fall :127:
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”