Backyard Composting

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Backyard Composting

Post by Queen K »

I'll have to check, I'm deep into working on getting everything ready for the big change. I have purple spinach and it's seeds are here, want to try some of that on the chickens too?

How about Sunday afternoon or Tues?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Queen K wrote:I'll have to check, I'm deep into working on getting everything ready for the big change. I have purple spinach and it's seeds are here, want to try some of that on the chickens too?

How about Sunday afternoon or Tues?

Sunday's good, I'm working tuesday though
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good, much later in the day okay?

Now I got one compost bin full now, I emptied out the old compost bin into it. I lined the bottom with heavy cardboard and just started pitchforking in lots of wet and dry leaves from the wooden compost bin that was mostly really still cold. I'm hoping the black plastic will do it's thing and really warm it all up cuz it's now mostly in the sun.

Oh the lid maybe a random spare, but I want it darn it. Lids have a way of breaking up around here.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alle-mark

Post by alle-mark »

There's a growing trend in restaurant composting grand rapids mi. I think it's about time it, it's such a great idea.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

UP-DATE: The black composters have coughed up some mighty fine black compost, but they tend to need to be kept moist on top or they just dry everything up. I have to dung it out in the next few days and restart with this Fall's leaves.

My experiment in the front yard worked out well, lots of worms and it's finishing down beautifully over the Winter. I'll just scrap it out on the to garden for Spring dig in.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

alle-mark wrote:There's a growing trend in restaurant composting grand rapids mi. I think it's about time it, it's such a great idea.

You'd think Kelowna could pull this off too, what with all the restaurants here.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

This is a new program that just started here. The list of what can go in the "Green Bin" is interesting.

http://www.rdkb.com/Services/Environmen ... ipate.aspx

The City of Grand Forks and the RDKB are pleased to provide a curbside Food Scraps collection service to all Grand Forks residents.

This was due to positive results in the Valmar neighborhood pilot project. The District and the City would like to thank all Valmar for participating in the Green Bin pilot project.

We are committed to continuing the collection program for most city residents on the same schedule. Kettle Valley Waste will continue to collect this Green Bin EVERY WEEK. As well, EITHER your Garbage or Recycling (blue bag) will be collected on alternating weeks.

Here is how it works: Residents have been provided a Kitchen Bucket and a Green Bin. Simply keep the Kitchen Bucket handy in your kitchen.

Fill it with the proper materials and dump it into the Green Bin when it is full. Each week the Green Bin will be collected. As well, EITHER your Garbage or Recycling (blue bag) will be collected on alternating weeks. Please refer to the collection schedule.

In your Kitchen: The RDKB has provided each home with a beige kitchen bucket. This bucket can be mounted on the inside of a cupboard or placed beside your blue box and garbage can. The RDKB has supplied each home with a sample pack of paper bucket liners. These may be useful to help keep the bucket clean. Additional bags can be purchased at local hardware/grocery stores.

The Green Bin: Store the Green Bin in an area where animals cannot access it. The Green Bin will contain the same material as would have been in your garbage so it won’t smell any more or less. Please place your Green Bin at the curb where you would normally place your garbage/recycling.

To Bag or not to Bag?
Plastic, even ‘biodegradable plastics’ represent contamination in the composting process, we require that residents use paper bags, or no bags in this service. Residents have found different solutions:

Try using only the green bin bag liner and rinse the kitchen bucket each time it is emptied.
Try using only the kitchen catcher liners and place these in the bagless green bin.
Try using folded newspaper in the kitchen catcher.
Try without any liners and rinse the bins regularly.

Solid waste collection containers can attract animals. Ensure that your garbage and food scrap bins are stored securely and only put out on the street on collection morning.

What you can put in the Green Bin:

Baked Goods: Breads, Cookies
Cheese rinds & Moldy Cheese
Leftover Candy and Snacks
Muffin/Cupcake Papers
Coffee, including filters
Tea Bags or Loose Tea
Sauces and Gravy
Fish bones, skins, guts etc
Meat, Bones, Skin, Fat
Rotten Fruits & Vegetables
Rinds and Peelings
Leftover Rice & Pasta
Pet Waste (Dog Poop)
Disposable Diapers
Eggs & Egg Shells
Lobster, Oyster/Clam Shells
Fruit Pits, Seeds and Shells (Peach, Avocado, Cherry)
Seed/ Nut Shells: Peanuts, Sunflower,
Walnut, Pistachio
Facial Tissue & Hand Towels
Soiled, Waxed or Oily Paper
Biodegradable Clamshell Containers, Pizza Boxes,
Wet Newspapers
Houseplants, including small amounts of Soil
Kitty Litter
Bird/Hamster cage shavings

Do NOT use the Green Bin for:

Plastic bags
‘Compostable Plastic’ bags
Wood Ash
Cigarette Butts
Dryer Lint & Sheets
Vacuum Cleaner Bags
Disposable Coffee Cups
Twist Ties/Rubber Bands
Swiffer mop pads
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”