Bird ID

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Bird ID

Post by grammafreddy »

Wow! Now how do ya suppose he/she ended up there?

Seems all the Snowys have moved down to the Okanagan. Lots have been reported there this year.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Two Snowy Owls were released on Tuesday in Upper Mission. Both were rescues nursed back to health by SORCO.

SORCO is having their open house in near Oliver on May 5th this year, and not the last Sunday in April as usual, due to renovations.

If you've never been there, it is well worth the day drive to see the burrowing owl cages where they are being bred to increase the populations for release into the wild.

They have a facebook page too.
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 22nd, 2012, 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This bird has been screaming outside out backdoor for hours. Why, and what is it? Hawk of some kind?

bird.JPG
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dickcannings

Post by dickcannings »

Looks like a Swainson's Hawk.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It is a hawk, Glacier, and I'm going to guess that it's a Swainson's Hawk. Maybe Dick Cannings will get a post notification and come ID it properly for us. As to why it is screaming, I have no idea.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hahahahah .... Hi Dick - good to see you here :D

Man, I just wished you up out of thin air, eh?

LOL

Nice to see my guess was correct. YAY me.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I have an odd hummingbird coming to my feeder. It is male, has a green back and what looks to be a black head. Its chin feathers are the same orange/red as a Rufous but it is not one of them. I have the Calliope as well and it isn't that, either.

Searching online, I see the Black-chinned has purple chin feathers, not red/orange.

So ... Ruby-throated? Do we even get those in BC or are they on the other side of the Rockies?

Any other options???

dickcannings

Post by dickcannings »

Regarding the hummingbird, please take a photo of it and post! Colour on hummers can be pretty tricky depending on the light.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Dick - have been trying to get a photo of it for four days now :(

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Id for this guy is?
Attachments
hmmer100.jpg
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just to be clear, I was very fortunate that I had a better zoom lens for a change and also he kept returning back to the same tree branch area from the feeder my hostess had out. With that predictability, I'd never have that photo. I got many and deleted many bloopers too, but could not believe what I saw when he turned his head the way he did. Lucky me.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I think this is a different hummer, but is it? There were so many that day up in Falkand.
Attachments
hummer42.jpg
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Super photos. Wish I knew.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No sorry wrong pic above, this is the different guy.
Attachments
hummer40.jpg
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was lucky, our hosts had a deck right beside the feeder. There were several fighting for the food territory all at once. The one colourful one went back to those same branches and once I figured that out I actually got a lot of good ones in a short period of time. I am inspired to put up a hummingbird feeder soon. I hope that they will also eat aphids.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”