Growing potatoes

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Growing potatos

Post by Queen K »

grammafreddy wrote:Where did you get the straw?

It was a whole haybale given to me from the place I work. It's now all broken up and mostly in the composter we made yesterday before Babbitman's tip. What's left is going to be used for a try at it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Growing potatoes

Post by grammafreddy »

Was it hay or straw? I want straw. Maybe Buckerfield's sells it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think for anyone living in a condo with a decent sized balcony, those grow bags would be great!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I am gonna use old tires. And leaves. Cheap. I just need to find a place that will let me browse their crappy tire lot. For free.
Chill
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

flamingfingers wrote:I am gonna use old tires. And leaves. Cheap. I just need to find a place that will let me browse their crappy tire lot. For free.

Most tire places will let you do that. I already asked Kal Tire and they said, "Sure, take what you need".

lucky2beme
Fledgling

Post by lucky2beme »

oneh2obabe wrote:Was at the West Kelowna Buckerfields store today - they have vegetable, fruit and potato grow bags with slits up the sides for easy harvesting if that helps.

Thanks, I was at the Kelowna store last weekend and they did have some grow bags but with no slits. I will have to call them and ask. The kids that were working last weekend had no clue what I was asking about. Too bad that their website wasn't more informative.
lucky2beme
Fledgling

Post by lucky2beme »

GF, thanks for your help with those pictures. I tried surfing around the net but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Gotta keep trying when I get a chance.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm doing the box method this year http://sinfonians-garden.blogspot.ca/p/ ... -bins.html I hope it produces well.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We are doing the tire and the box method to see which one succeeds the best for us. Putting the box method where the old compost bins sat. Dirt is rich underneath.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

We're going to do the box method too, I like the idea of the straw but I'm allergic so that is not gonna happen.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”