Knitting For Charity

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Knitting For Charity

Post by Darlin06 »

I've been looking for a couple charities to donate some knitted items to...I've found several all over the US, Australia, etc...Every country...There are not a whol lot of options for Canada....I'd like to find something local...Within central okanagan...From what I understand, the hospital an women's shelter accept the items for donation, but then sell them...I do NOT want to give these items to something like that...I would like them to be given out to the less fortunate...Homeless individuals, single parents, children, senior citizens, pets, etc...Does anyone have any suggestions on this?? I'm coming up with nothing in the Kelowna area....
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Knitting For Charity

Post by grammafreddy »

The Cancer centre has afghans that were donated to the cancer patients, I think. Is that what you had in mind?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Couple of organizations that might appreciate the items:
Inn From the Cold
Bette's Single Family & Senior's Food Bank
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

grammafreddy wrote:The Cancer centre has afghans that were donated to the cancer patients, I think. Is that what you had in mind?

Yeah...That kinda thing...I'll have to contact them tomorrow. Thanks GF :)
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Couple of organizations that might appreciate the items:
Inn From the Cold
Bette's Single Family & Senior's Food Bank

Thanks for such a quick response...Guess some of these must not be advertised very well...None of those came up on Google...

Thank you so much!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Check your PM.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My wife did some Toques and scarfs for the Cancer centre a few years ago and they were very appreciative.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

Bsuds wrote:My wife did some Toques and scarfs for the Cancer centre a few years ago and they were very appreciative.

Thanks! I've sent an email tonight :)
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I have a friend in the States that knits little hats and booties for the preemie babies at Seattle's Childrens Hospital, it is always appreciated. Kelowna takes some of the babies that come back from Vancouver but aren't quite ready to go home yet, and having a premature baby can be quite an expense for parents who have to travel to be with their child.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

zookeeper wrote:I have a friend in the States that knits little hats and booties for the preemie babies at Seattle's Childrens Hospital, it is always appreciated. Kelowna takes some of the babies that come back from Vancouver but aren't quite ready to go home yet, and having a premature baby can be quite an expense for parents who have to travel to be with their child.

I'll have to call the hospital again :)
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

That is what I was going to suggest as well. My mom knits hats and booties as well as baby blankets for preemies.
She also makes knitted dolls for children's hospital in Vancouver. They have are completely knitted and have no buttons or anything that could hurt the babies.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

This pattern is similar to the one my mom does.

http://www.iwk.nshealth.ca/index.cfm?ob ... D7757610E7

These are ones my sister did. Comfort dolls, hand puppets and hats.

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

Those are so cute! I actually found a pattern exactly like that just yesterday...

I'll have to do some calling around today...See what's needed where and when...

Thanks for all the help :)

Return to “Creative Endeavours”