Plant ID help please

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Plant ID help please

Post by good-cause-girl »

There are some very large beautiful flowering plants as you drive off 97 and pull into the Orchard Park Mall at The Shoppers Drug Mart store. They are in bloom right now (late Sept) and have really large banana plant type leaves.

Anyone? What are they? Are they annual? Water pigs? I am looking for large privacy plants and these really are nice.

Thank you in advance.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Plant ID help please

Post by pbear »

Canna lilies. They are a bulb and need to be lifted every fall. There are many varieties of all heights. My other-half loves them too.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

saw something interesting, someone downtown had planted Dahlias, same deal. also a bulb that needs to overwinter indoors . . . they'd planted them in square cedar planters. Makes for easy job to pull indoors . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

Ya, they had a lilly type look and maybe thats what caught me on them as well. I love the Dahlia idea as well.
They are bulb plants so I can't stealth in and grab some seeds so any idea where these wonderful bulbs can be purchased?

I just scored some Astilbe White seeds today and am stoked about growing them too.

Thank you for the info, it will be well used,,,yay

Come on spring!!!!!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm thinking any garden centre, but you might want to call around. The Greenery has a website and so does Bylands and Art Knapps (I'm pretty sure, anyway). I'm sure you could fire off an email asking and get some info.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”