Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2013

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2013

Post by normaM »

thanks. It is my Spring project, only moon plants, and all white. I figure I'm in for a whole lotta of hurt and disapointment as I have a black thumb
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ooh! Then I highly recommend lily of the valley. White, the scent is amazing, and it is invasive. Only a spring bloomer though. Spreads by creeping rhizome, and fairly quickly at that.
I haven't failed until I quit.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Is it way to early to start some seeds? I'm getting the itch but am short on space if they get too big before I can transplant.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I saw a moon garden in a mag and decided I fancy one
Too late when I moved, so this Spring will work ( fingers crossed)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Jenny - I am going to invest in a couple of these http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... uses&Num=0

Sometimes they go on sale :D They are great quality and quite sturdy and have wheels so they can be moved around. When it comes time to harden the plants off, they wheel in and out so less trouble than packing plants around. They come with the plastic covers and its nice to see replacement covers are also available.

I'll start plants on these in my sunny south-facing dining room window pretty quick now, I think, although it may be a tad early - bummer. I am itching to grow something, too.

pbear - thanks for the info about your composting. I have a black plastic thing that the former owner left but have no idea what's in it. When it warms up and the snow goes I'll have a look inside it, but I really liked your pallet set-up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That is a great idea! My dining table is already covered in seedlings every Spring so I may as well move the table out a bit and keep the greenhouse there at night. I bet Princess Auto has something similar.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________

pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I have two of those greenhouse types. Mine don't have wheels so I don't bring them in and out but it is amazing how early you can use them if they are against a wall (mine face east) and a bit sheltered from the wind. I seldom start seeds in them, but do buy my bedding out plants really early and keep them in there. Also I plant my hanging baskets early and keep them in there until the air warms up.

Gramma, the black plastic composter is great because it keeps the rodents and other wildlife out of fresh scraps. If you bury your kitchen waste directly into the garden soil, you don't really need one. Or if you keep the pallet compost area well layered. I like having both.

All this talk is making me antsy! Still WAY too much snow. Not even a bulb showing yet. Just want to be :digging:
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I picked up some more seeds this afternoon. Aside from ones from last year I picked up kale, cat grass, basil. cilantro, radish, peas (Laxton's Progress), celery and nasturtium.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think I saw in the Home Hardware flyer this week that their Home brand seeds are on sale for something like 68 cents each.

Yup http://homehardware.ca/en/index/view-online.htm page 11 - 67 cents each

GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

jennylives wrote:Is it way to early to start some seeds? I'm getting the itch but am short on space if they get too big before I can transplant.

YES, it is too early. Any seedlings started now will become spindly and weak. They will seek-out sunlight and will put too much effort into "top-growth" instead of properly rooting and vegetating.

IF you MUST start something...... Tomatoes and peppers.......IF you have good lighting AND warm rooting conditions. Even then, it's too early.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I pruned the apple tree today. and ran a big pile of prunings thru the chipper.
Got a few fruit trees and the grapes left to prune, got a big potato patch to build, and Im ready to go for the year.
The snow's melting fast.
I cant wait.
I love spring!
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We cleaned out the asparagus bed today, got the invasive weeds out and I dug out some dandy sized carrots, very beautiful I might add. Last year, when we planted the aspargus baby roots, I planted carrot seeds to fill in. Well howdy doody, five of them overwintered and we'll be enjoying them tonight.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I have a ton of last years kale still doing good. Gonna steam some for dinner this week.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We'll do kale again, but only because I want to try making kale chips with sea salt this year.

And it sounds like my new neighbour is going to to pull out those dreadful old cedar trees lining the property line between his place and mine. No more tonnes of orange dead acid filled branch junk! But no more bird habitat too. I'm of two minds here.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”