Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2013

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2013

Post by Lady tehMa »

So do we start the 2014 thread tomorrow then?

I have a question for all you seed-starters: I will be trying to start my own this year, when is a good time to start them? I don't have great light indoors, and no space for a grow light (though if I can find one on sale somewhere I may try to make space). But I do have a little greenhouse outside (flimsy, like those shoe racks and covered with plastic - got it at Jysk). I also have the jiffy trays. Also, found this . . . http://www.greenphonebooth.com/2012/07/how-empty-milk-jugs-changed-my-garden.html which looks pretty cool. :)

I got some spaghetti squash seeds, and saved a bunch of tomato seeds.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You got me there Lady teMah, I've never started my own either and Spring is fast approaching.

May try to make those hot houses.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Queen K wrote:WHAT reno and move?

Can I have a crack at some of your plants?

Yep, we've outgrown it and want to hold onto the asset so we're prepping it to be a rental.

My gardens are all veggies so it is replanted every year. My herbs and strawberries are already in planters so they are coming with me. I have tons of seeds though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I usually start my seeds (and outside cold weather veggies) around mid-March and plant the seedlings outside around May long weekend. They take up half of my kitchen table. I can't wait to have more space to set them up with a light and fan so they are not spindly. I always end up tossing or killing half them and replacing them from a nursery but I can't wait to plant something in spite of that.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh seeds are my headache right now, too many too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dee57

Post by dee57 »

I purchased a JYSK greenhouse this year! SO cheap! It's 3 tier but all I need.I'm really excited about it but wondering how to keep the cold out from the non-enclosed bottom. If it helps you at all I put a heavy planter of catnip on the bottom rack (anything heavy will do) and the greenhouse didn't blow over in recent winds.
Now to your question re:seeds. We have too short a growing season for me so I germinate my seeds. If you want to try,(You need one baggie, one large paper towel section or two select a size, and a rectangular piece of old towel to fit. Fold paper towel over towel piece and fold up. Run under cool water, wring loosely. Open back to folded position, place seeds on and roll up. Place in baggie.Label baggie.) Most seeds germinate very quickly this way, then I put the sprouts in little planting pots and, this year, into the greenhouse. This is a particularly amazing way to germinate green bean seeds. They develop intricate root systems within a week...making a quick and easy science experiment, and if you just love how things grow, it's really cool to watch the beans develop while germinating. This may be too much trouble for some who prefer to put the seeds directly in the dirt but it works for me.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”