Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2013

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2013

Post by grammafreddy »

I've always planted Ultra Boy and Ultra Girl as my main tomato. Nice rich flavour, beefsteak size, not too much acidity and very prolific.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

jennylives wrote:I love Brandywines. I have grown them as my main tomato for the last few years but will diversify this year. They have an amazing flavour but are low yield. I intend to be doing lots of canning this year so I will try some others out.

Last year I tried Brandywines for the first time, they sure were nice. I had some others from a friend which were also wonderful, don't know which kind though. jennylives, if you like a good paste tomato, I highly recommend the Amish Paste. Good flavour, not as dry as the romas but still not nearly as wet as other varieties. The brandywines have a lot of moisture, at the end of season when I was canning I did a mix of everything in the garden. I found the Amish Paste offset their juiciness.

Thx Glacier, I will try sungold this year too. I'm also trying out Opalka (another paste) and Black Krim. That facebook page QK was telling us about has someone on there who sells some interesting varieties.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okanagan Plant and Information Exchange!

She started it because she felt too many gardeners were isolated.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rainbarrels are getting there!

Dug in the ground a bit a few days ago, and is the soil ever dry. That frozen snow didn't add up to much moisture, I gotta go out and water, and believe it or not, moisten up some compost. Nothing rots if it's dry.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

good point. Hey, think it is safe to haul out the hoses? I don't really want to haul buckets of water . . .
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Once my snow is gone, It will be time to fertilize it with a low "N", high "P" and "K" fertilizer. I want the high last numbers because that's what promotes a healthy root and stem system and helps the grass plants withstand the stress from summer's heat. The N is for the top growth (and is what makes you cut your lawn). Just like a house, a lawn is only as stable as the foundation it is built on. I try to find a 5-10-10 like this one http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... zers&Num=0
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

From the Events section ...

Wildbloom Nursery customer appreciation draw

Wildbloom nursery located on 840 old Vernon rd is having a free draw
For a living planted log

We want our valued customers to know they are appreciated
We are also allowing customers to purchase many rare and unusual,specialty plants,and overstock
Feb 25 to 28 the only from 11 to 2 pm

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That's pretty, but I don't know where I'd put it if I won. :-k

Yeah, looked at the forcast and the hoses are coming out of the shed (at least the front one). The "new" bulb bed is too sheltered and will be extra dry for being under thirsty trees.

I've sprinkled some snapdragon seeds I got from 'brry last year, and think I'll sprinkle some marigold seeds too. I have a winter aconite up and showing off bright yellow, plus a few crocuses on the way :discodance: :sunshine: :discodance: let spring commence!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Anybody know anything about the Golden Rain tree? I'm in a 5a Zone so it should grow here.

http://www.plantexplorers.com/vandusen/ ... cts_id/257

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I picked about 30 carrots on the weekend, some were a good size too. I also have new growth on my chard and picked 5 red onions. :sunshine:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yup, the carrots we planted late last year grew to one heck of a good size and we got 6 of them out of the ground too.

The rest we pulled early and made pickled carrots, am asking myself why would I do that now knowing that carrots can make it thru a mild Winter.

We are making a meal of Swiss Chard tomorrow night. It's up and looking good.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm still eating last year's swiss chard (had some in a quiche yesterday). I haven't ever had much luck with chard overwintering, but it seems that one or two of my 6 plants may have made it. Think my kale did too.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Sooooooooo Jeeeeeeaaaaallllllooooouuuuusssssssss
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Carrots in March? Wow!
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was turing my garden over on the weekend, and noticed that I had volunteer peas growing already. Given the frost last night I assume they are dead today, but if not, should I transplant them and bring them inside?

eta: Gramma, do you know about this map?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Creative Endeavours”