Cats and gardens

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
zzontar
Guru

Re: Cats and gardens

Post by zzontar »

tazmandew wrote:#1) A Cat Repellent for Before You Even Begin

If you haven't planted a flower bed yet, but you anticipate having trouble keeping cats out of your yard, be aware that one of the most effective cat repellents is readily available at most any hardware store: CHICKEN WIRE

No, I'm not going to suggest you erect a chicken-wire fence. Instead, lay chicken wire down on top of your soil (or mulch, if you're using mulch in the bed), across the planting bed, before you plant. Why? Because cats dislike walking on chicken wire. Using wire cutters, you'll be able to open up pockets in the chicken wire sufficiently large for installing your plants. Cats can't dig with the chicken wire on top of the soil to use it as a bathroom..solves finding poop in your garden.

#2) Homemade Cat repellent

Cats hate anything that smells like citrus. Put an orange peel in front of your cats nose and watch your cat scrunch up his face with that disgusted look on his face as he backs away from it.

Here's what you'll need:
2 cups water
1 cup citrus peels (Choose from orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime or any combination that you find pleasing)
Saucepan
Coffee filter
2 tbsp. citrus scented soap
2 tbsp. lemon juice
Plastic spray bottle

Step 1
Measure two cups of water into a small saucepan. Add one cup of citrus peels.

Step 2
Place the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes.

Step 3
Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool. Once the contents have reached room temperature, pour the solution through a coffee filter to remove all of the solid pieces of peel.

Step 4
Add two tbsp. of citrus scented liquid soap and two tbsp. of lemon juice to the water and stir until well blended.

Step 5
Transfer the mixture to a plastic bottle with a spray attachment. Spray any furniture you'd like the cat to stay away from with a liberal coating of the repellent. Additionally, the spray can be used on plants and shrubbery to stop cats from eating them or to establish a chemical perimeter around your garden.

Step 6
Reapply as needed. Outdoor plants will need a new spritz after a rain shower or after routine watering. Indoor surfaces will require an additional application about once every two weeks

I do not recommend anything that will harm the cat such as spraying the cat with water etc.... If you yourself wouldn't want someone spraying you with a hose full of cold water then don't do it to animals. A cat is still a life and deserves to be treated with respect. I also do not recommend anyone trapping cats and dropping them off somewhere else as this causes the animal distress and they will suffer and starve. Cayenne powder in the garden also should be avoid as this is also considered cruel. If you don't think so.. put some cayenne on your hand and lick it off ...when your mouth burns you'll know what I am talking about. You'll be able to gulp down water to stop your mouth from burning..the cat might not have anything to drink...it is cruel

And if all else fails plant some cat nip in your neighbors yard and then the cats will be attracted to their yard instead of yours..(just kidding)

Cats are smart so if they know you hate them....they will tell all their neighborhood cat friends and they will get revenge. :)

... and if your neighbors throw their garbage in your yard you should erect a huge fence with netting over your yard and if your neighbors party all night you should spend even more and soundproof your house because shouldn't it be your responsibility to pay for inconsiderate neighbors? I'd suggest a cat trap or writing your MLA to suggest changing the law so that one is not allowed to have a pet that is supposed to be domesticated but must run wild.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I have seen people hang dead crows in their yard to deter other crows.
We have a predator near by - the neighbourhood is cat free. Next will be the joggers :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My friend went out and picks a bunch of pine cones (cats apparently hate stepping on them), and put those in his flower beds. He swears that the cats haven't been back since.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Glacier wrote:My friend went out and picks a bunch of pine cones (cats apparently hate stepping on them), and put those in his flower beds. He swears that the cats haven't been back since.

I hate to say it but our nuetered male cat gets out. I am against letting cats outside and we have managed to do that with all of our cats until we got saddled with Max. This little bugger starts playing the bagpipes as soon as were up urging us to the door, so we even have a spray bottle that we shoot him with to shut him up. But the escape artist will go through screens from second floor windows and leap to the ground. He'll sit hidden by doorways for hours until someone opens just a crack and he shoots out. While sometimes I manage to pin him with a leg against the door frame it usually comes at a cost. We rescued this thing from some people that obvioulsy let him out and even after a year he hasn't lost the lust for freedom. He is spayed but I can see how making some cats indoor pets can be extremely challenging.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
tazmandew
Fledgling

Post by tazmandew »

zzontar wrote:

... and if your neighbors throw their garbage in your yard you should erect a huge fence with netting over your yard and if your neighbors party all night you should spend even more and soundproof your house because shouldn't it be your responsibility to pay for inconsiderate neighbors? I'd suggest a cat trap or writing your MLA to suggest changing the law so that one is not allowed to have a pet that is supposed to be domesticated but must run wild.

Maybe we should contact the MLA about all the birds that keep pooping all over peoples vehicles too eh...GEEZ .. What ever happened to live and let live. Lighten up man.

I feed about 10 feral cats daily and I welcome anything in my yard that is hungry. They are very polite, respectful and take their turns waiting to eat with no fighting. The funny thing is ...they don't spray in my yard or poop in my garden. Cats can sense when you hate them.

There is a lady in my neighborhood who made it clear to me one night (as I went up the street to check on a stray cat) that she hates cats...she tried to give me hell for trying to help the stray cat. I told her to mind her own business as she went back inside her house. What is totally funny about this is that I can see her house from my house and I can't help but chuckle to myself as cats daily go into her yard and spray on her plants. It's like they are telling her *bleep* we know you don't like us. Maybe I shouldn't laugh but it's hard not to lol!
tazmandew
Fledgling

Post by tazmandew »

Glacier wrote:My friend went out and picks a bunch of pine cones (cats apparently hate stepping on them), and put those in his flower beds. He swears that the cats haven't been back since.

Keeping the soil wet also helps..cats hate getting their feet wet.
tazmandew
Fledgling

Post by tazmandew »

Poindexter wrote:I hate to say it but our nuetered male cat gets out. I am against letting cats outside and we have managed to do that with all of our cats until we got saddled with Max. This little bugger starts playing the bagpipes as soon as were up urging us to the door, so we even have a spray bottle that we shoot him with to shut him up. But the escape artist will go through screens from second floor windows and leap to the ground. He'll sit hidden by doorways for hours until someone opens just a crack and he shoots out. While sometimes I manage to pin him with a leg against the door frame it usually comes at a cost. We rescued this thing from some people that obvioulsy let him out and even after a year he hasn't lost the lust for freedom. He is spayed but I can see how making some cats indoor pets can be extremely challenging.

I don't know if you have an area where you can build him a cage attached to a window but I know it worked for my cats. It doesn't have to be expensive to build..chicken wire works as long as it's secure so they can't get out by pushing on it. People are always giving away free lumber ( or take apart free pallets) I hooked mine up to a window and used a ramp covered in carpet leading down into the cage so they could climb up it... they could go in and out whenever they wanted. This way your cat will still get the satisfaction of escaping outside and will keep your doorways clear of the cat trying to escape. Just make sure you put it in a shaded area ( or make shade ) so he doesn't get too hot. It will make your life a lot less stressful..trust me. Your cat will be a totally different cat.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Thanks for the advice. He's got an upstairs window he prefers and it in the backyard so wife won't mind the assualt to curb appeal. Also allows him to go out when you're not home. Really like that idea, will give it a go. cheers
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

We also have a neighbor who feeds the ferral cats, born unto the cats not well taken care of by another neighbour, and another neighbour who traps them (humanely) and relocates them. One winter morning I saw a cat eating chips the kids had dropped in the car park the day before, broke my heart to think how hungry it must have been to eat chips. Yes tazmandew, it is a kind act, but does not take the blame away from the original irresponsible pet owner nor give me back my right to take pleasure in my yard, a pleasure denied me through no fault of my own.
Poindexter at least seems to care, there are way too many pet owners who really don't. Not about the animal, it's offspring, or their neighbours.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

normaM wrote:Next will be the joggers :/

Is it that you have joggers crapping in your garden, or do you think the predator will attack a jogger?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

tazmandew wrote:
I feed about 10 feral cats daily and I welcome anything in my yard that is hungry. They are very polite, respectful and take their turns waiting to eat with no fighting. The funny thing is ...they don't spray in my yard or poop in my garden. Cats can sense when you hate them.

Good for you. I do the same, theres always a dozen around here. They are all my friends, I can pet them all, even the old tom Brutus. I cant bear to see any little guy go hungry or suffer. I have heated shelters for them, heated water dishes, and an unlimited supply of food for them. Every winter my deck is covered with feral cats sleeping on heating pads.
Its really cute to see the raccoons and the cats hang out together at the food troughs.
Then theres the birds...

Not letting an animal do his business is like you having to go at one of those old pay toilets (does anyone remember those? What a stupid idea, whoever thought of those...) and not have a dime.
I never once paid for one of those anyway, I just crawled under. Now that's an even stupider idea...
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

tazmandew wrote:
I don't know if you have an area where you can build him a cage attached to a window but I know it worked for my cats. It doesn't have to be expensive to build..chicken wire works as long as it's secure so they can't get out by pushing on it. People are always giving away free lumber ( or take apart free pallets) I hooked mine up to a window and used a ramp covered in carpet leading down into the cage so they could climb up it... they could go in and out whenever they wanted. This way your cat will still get the satisfaction of escaping outside and will keep your doorways clear of the cat trying to escape. Just make sure you put it in a shaded area ( or make shade ) so he doesn't get too hot. It will make your life a lot less stressful..trust me. Your cat will be a totally different cat.

I built a 15X20X6 cage in my back yard, and enclosed it in 2'' chicken wire, all 3 sides and the roof. One end joins the back of the house. I just go downstairs, open the door, and all 4 of my cats can come and go as they please. Its the best thing I ever did for my cats. They can spend all the time they want outside, and they stay safe.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”