Cedar tree cutting

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
BrokenPencil
Fledgling

Cedar tree cutting

Post by BrokenPencil »

I have rooted a cedar tree cutting in water. Does anyone know if it will continue to live in water indoors like some house plants, or does it have to go in dirt?

I thought it might be interesting to check out some options. Its pretty happy in the water right now and has new growth up top- and a great start to the roots, there are multiple roots over an inch long. Its been in the water at least 4 months now.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Cedar Tree cutting

Post by Bpeep »

I would consider potting it. If/when the free available oxygen in the water is gone, you risk anerobic rot, pythium, etc.
Plant it in a small container of potting soil.
Mix in some bonemeal or water in some 10-52-10 fertilyzer.
It'll love ya for it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
BrokenPencil
Fledgling

Re: Cedar Tree cutting

Post by BrokenPencil »

A number of years ago I did have another one I grew from a cutting but I grew it in soil after the first roots started to show. This one I have left in the water much longer and its in a small glass cup. Often I change or add more water so I think that is why its doing ok. I wonder though if they will grow in water for a long time if I add nutrients to the water? I cannot find anything online about this and maybe I am just not checking the right places, I do not know.

I have taken some more cuttings tonight so I can hopefully grow some more and try keeping some in water, and some in soil and seeing how they all do. If I see the ones in water start looking a bit worse for wear I will put them in the soil mix and hope they do ok. Right now my interest is in seeing if I can get them to stay in water.

Also wondering if they will survive indoors on a permanent basis? I over wintered a thin leafed potato vine cutting. It grew roots and was not the best looking thing all winter but spring and summer it sparked up, naturally. I have kept it indoors and am waiting to see if it will make it through this winter again.

Will be trying your soil mix however, as I am wanting to transplant some outdoors. Is it best to grow them indoors now and transplant them in the spring? It usually takes a good 4-6 months to get the roots going good from what I have seen so far.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”