Hot Tubs

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Poindexter
Guru

Hot Tubs

Post by Poindexter »

Looking at buying a hot tub. Have been warned against buying one that plugs directly into regular 120V plug with 15 amp breaker. Only want a small 2 person tub for deck. Does anyone have some experience or insight?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Hot Tubs

Post by gardengirl »

We bought a used Soft Tub last year. It plugs directly into a regular outlet. It's great. It is light enough that we didn't need to reinforce the deck and we didn't have to put in a 220 plug for it. It is portable so we took it inside on the covered porch last winter. It doesn't have all the architecture that a fibreglass tub does, but it had decent jets and it definitely got hot enough.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A friend just bought one of the 2 man hot tubs being sold at OP mall.
It plugs into 120v and he is happy with it so far.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bsuds wrote:A friend just bought one of the 2 man hot tubs being sold at OP mall.

Cool. I saw those and wondered what they were like. Looking forward to the long term review.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bsuds wrote:A friend just bought one of the 2 man hot tubs being sold at OP mall.

I seriously looked into one of those and am considering an entire back deck reno just to accomodate one by 2015. The whole reno plus hot tub runs into serious cash so 2014 a saving year for it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

He said he paid $3500. for his. Not quite the top model but close.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

It plugs into 120v and he is happy with it so far...
He said he paid $3500. for his. Not quite the top model but close.

There are other options on HomeDepot.ca that are both under $3000 as well.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I was surprised to see even Walmart carries one. Will check out Home Depot.

My concern with the 120v is that it wouldn't be able to heat up quick enough so the heat has to cranked all the time costing more in electricity. Maybe technology has changed since I last bought a hot tub 15 years ago.

Will have to check the ones out at op as well.

I like the ease of the soft tubs but aren't the jets pretty much bubble makers with very little power behind them? It would ideal though.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Always Sunny wrote:There are other options on HomeDepot.ca that are both under $3000 as well.

When I was at the Mall looking at them in passing the Rep told someone that the base model was $2500.

As for the Temperature, my friend said he was surprised how fast it warmed up but he filled it with warm water to start with.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Poindexter wrote:I was surprised to see even Walmart carries one. Will check out Home Depot.

My concern with the 120v is that it wouldn't be able to heat up quick enough so the heat has to cranked all the time costing more in electricity. Maybe technology has changed since I last bought a hot tub 15 years ago.

Will have to check the ones out at op as well.

I like the ease of the soft tubs but aren't the jets pretty much bubble makers with very little power behind them? It would ideal though.

A Soft Tub is not an inflatable tub. The inflatable tubs at Walmart, Cdn Tire, etc are pretty much big paddle pools. The Soft Tub is a real hot tub. The jets are the same as you would find in a regular hot tub. It is made of high density foam and it holds the heat really well.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Read some soft tub reviews, only issues were to do with warranty on the motor. Most other reviews were positive. Like the efficiencies they managed to get, at 8$ a month to heat it certainly moves to the top of the list.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Does anyone have a link to one of these? I'm liking the sound of the price and ongoing costs.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

underscore wrote:Does anyone have a link to one of these? I'm liking the sound of the price and ongoing costs.

I believe Arctic Spas sells Soft Tubs.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The issue I have with the soft tubs is no reclined seat and no foot massage jets. I want a good therapeutic set of jets, not just a big bath tub with a bubble maker.

Found this interesting, 110 vs 220:
"The 110 volt hot tub is the easiest to install because it plugs right into your standard US household plug-ins as long as it is a dedicated circuit. All you have to do is place it on concrete or another solid surface, fill it with water, plug it in and enjoy it once it is heated up. The 110 volt spas are typically cheaper to buy because the have to be fairly simple so they don’t overload the electrical supply. The down side is that the 110 volt spa will take twice as long to heat as the 220 volt spa so it may be a while from the time you fill it up until the time you can jump in and enjoy it. Since the heater runs twice as long, the pump also runs twice as long so both the heater and pump are getting more wear and tear. If you are in a really cold climate, the 110 volt hot tub may also find it hard to keep the temperature up, especially if you have the cover off. Another problem with the 110 volt spa is that they typically don’t have enough electricity to run both the heater and the pump at the same time which creates additional heating difficulties. Because the 110 volt hot tub has to run almost continuously to keep up the temperature, it costs more than the 220 volt hot tub."

Checked out that hot tub wharehouse that set up in the old west kelowna mtf. Talk about pressure sales, they have all these bogus sold signs on each tub saying they only have one left in back - Sure. Also told us their tubs don't need any chemicals - sure.

The prices were decent but once they sell out they're off to Australia to do the same thing. Suprised the salesman told me this. Still looking, want a good dual 220 motors in a 2 seater with powerful jets but they are not easy to find.
travischelsey

Post by travischelsey »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 23rd, 2014, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use the classifieds for advertising.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”