Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2014

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2014

Post by grammafreddy »

Is it time to paint our thumbs green again and start thinking about the gardening?

I am saving my cardboard egg cartons and egg shells. Am gonna try this ...

I also bought one of these from Home Hardware ...

http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... ouse&Num=0
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2014

Post by flamingfingers »

I am going to use a couple of these with peat pellets. Buckerfield's should have all sizes - and they are cheap! And reusable..

http://nlggrow.com/2074-mondi-mini-gree ... e-7in.html
Chill
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I use the table top dome. It works great. I am going to build an area with adjustable shelving/lighting and fans once I have more space. Then I'll have some monster seedlings.

This year is all about container gardening. I'm only growing what can be moved or I don't mind leaving behind.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have one of those little greenhouses, and a couple of jiffy greenhouse trays (pellet ones).

How does this work? Start them in the house then move them to the little green house? Or start them in the greenhouse?

Is there a best time to start tomatoes? What about squash?
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Tomatoes: Given the proper care, full-sized tomato transplants can be grown in 6 to 8 weeks. Before planting seeds, you must determine when your plants can be safely placed into the garden. Planting outdoors is best done about 1 or 2 weeks after the average last frost date for your area.

Squash: Transplant in late May or early June once the soil is warm. Start seeds indoors during the first two weeks of May. Make sure plants are in the ground no later than June 15th. Optimal soil temperature: 25-35°C (68-95°F).
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Lady tehMa wrote:How does this work? Start them in the house then move them to the little green house? Or start them in the greenhouse?

Not that I know what I am doing, but I am planning to put the seed trays (egg cartons) right into the greenhouse and put that in my dining room widow where it will get great sunshine. Later I will move it to my enclosed front porch, then to the back porch, then plant the plants in the ground - eggshells and all.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I like to plant my seeds and germinate them in a constant temperature closet (don't need sun to germinate) and then when their little first leaves come up, move them to where they get filtered sun until they develop their next leaves and increase their sun exposure but not so much they get sunburn.

Or you can put up a fluorescent fixture with grow lights (in your mini greenhouse) and keep the light on 24/7 and adjust the height. If you use a dome make sure you ventilate them so the plants don't develop mold. When rootlets start growing out of the peat pellets it is time to transplant them into small pots and let them loose in the minigreenhouse until you can put the little darlin's into nice warm outside soil.
Chill
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I collected seeds last year, not sure if I did it right but time will tell.

Sometimes I get seeds (or plants) from around town; Buckerfield's, Art Knapp's, and (my favourite) the Greenery. I occasionally get the Vesey's catalogue too. Oh, and I got a number of my plants at the Farmer's market last year too.

What are your favourite places to buy, and what are you getting this year?

OH - just found out, mark your calendars! This year Seedy Saturday is March 8th at the college http://www.mgabc.org/content/kelowna-seedy-saturday-2014
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just cut up a fennel bulb for roasting and wooooooo weee, I'm going to try growing them this year. Lovely flavour. I can't wait to get it out of the oven, roasting it up tonight.

I've got too many seeds and have no idea if the carrot seeds I nurtured for a long time are viable or not. Takes two years.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Just cut up a fennel bulb for roasting and wooooooo weee, I'm going to try growing them this year. Lovely flavour. I can't wait to get it out of the oven, roasting it up tonight.

Be careful where you put it
Companion Planting:
The crucial thing to know about fennel is that you do not want it growing close to any other plant, and most especially nowhere near other members of the Umbellifrae family, which is a large one. It inhibits the growth of most plants, and readily cross-pollinates with its kin to give useless results on both plants.
Grow it by itself off in a corner of the garden, or in pots placed well away from the herb bed (and your carrots!) If you see large, black & green caterpillars on your fennel, don't be alarmed. Fennel is also a host plant for swallow butterfly caterpillars.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good advice there. We enjoyed the fennel roasted but it could be overpowering if over used. I'll buy smaller bulbs later and look forward to a small harvest.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

To me, fennel tastes like liquorice.. ick. Does it taste like that to you?
Chill
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, but it was more refreshing. I'd use smaller bulbs and use in a salad raw with lots of other veggies next time.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

What is the easiest/cheapest way to add garden space?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I your case just do what I do, scavange some wood like we did, and just level them right out on the grass and fill with good dirt with a gravel base.

Don't do what we did with making one too wide.
Do make sure the mower can easily get between the raised beds, cuz that means the wheelbarrows will too.

I'd love to get a hold of a large yard and re do. This year we're under going messy raised bed makeover to fix some of our early mistakes.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”