Options after finding out house is full of rotting rats

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
rangerkev

Re: Options after finding out house is full of rotting rats

Post by rangerkev »

Thanks again for all the replies. I'd like to clarify that I am not attempting to gain anything financially or put the landlord out, I've just never been in this situation before. The tenant downstairs is dealing with the landlord and I offered to help find out what other options are available.

It does sound like the amount of dead rats in substantial. I wasn't there, but it could very well be a hundred. The word infestation was used. We are not looking to lynch anyone, just want to have as much information as possible when moving forward.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how this plays out.

Thanks,
K
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Wait until you find out exactly what the issue is. There is a pest control company (local) who is known for huge exaggeration.....I will not name him or the company but this has been going on for years and it is how he gets his business. When someone calls him on the things he says, he backs down. Otherwise fear is the main motivator.

Hundreds of rats would be unusual, to say the least. As for the landlord being a scumbag, as some have mentioned, it sounds like he has treated for a pest problem, from what you said. If that is the case, it would be the pest control people that didn't do their job.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The problem of smell of dead rats vs mice is their size. A mouse will often dehydrate before it rots and smell could be a minimum.
A rat is much larger and will grossly rot before it dries. The smell can be overwhelming.
When they eat poison they will start to get sick, and go somewhere safe to hunker down.
If a rat died in a wall the smell can be there for months or more.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

IHA should be involved with this. Hantavirus could be of concern.....
Chill
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Thank you FF!! I knew that my alarm bells were sounding for a reason, and that's a damn good one. Knowing your background, anyone who wants to argue can stuff it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

rangerkev wrote:Hello,

I live in a house where I rent the upstairs suite, and a woman and her 2 young children rent the main level suite. Recently she's started to notice a stench. I've noticed it slightly but not as much on the top floor. We had the pest guy come in today to see what's causing it and he said that there's been a water rat infestation that had been dealt with by poisoning them and letting them die and rot in the walls. This was never mentioned to us when we moved in. I've been living there since mid-December and I believe she has been there a fair amount longer.

Does anyone know what our options are? The pest guy basically said that the house would have to be torn apart and re-insulated/dry walled.

Thanks for any guidance,
K

Are you saying that the pest guy had previously poisoned for the owner? Please advise thanks.
rangerkev

Post by rangerkev »

Hi Ken, yes, it sounds like the landlord had the rats poisoned at some point before. I have yet to talk to him myself but it sounds like the landlord had the rats poisoned previously. Apparently the Pest guy also removed dead rats from the upstairs suite in the past.

Can anyone advise the best way to involve the IHA?

Thanks everyone, the guidance is much appreciated.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I agree with FF - there can be serious health concerns.
Strange they went into the walls, problem living by the water.
I so hope everything sorts out for both of you
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I wouldn't freak out about the Hantavirus just yet. According to the Healthlink website it's only been found in deer mice in Canada, not rats. Unless that information is out of date? You could probably call 811 to get more information, or at least information on who to talk to.

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile36.stm

At any rate, I'd still talk to the landlord myself before proceeding with other actions. It's better to do that and know the facts about when the pest control was done, what was done, etc. rather than rely on guesses and hearsay.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

My question is this; the OP moved in in December. The rats were poisoned before then. Why is it only now that the smell is being noticed? Surely after 3 months or more, the bodies would have dried up and the smell dissipated?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:My question is this; the OP moved in in December. The rats were poisoned before then. Why is it only now that the smell is being noticed? Surely after 3 months or more, the bodies would have dried up and the smell dissipated?

They were probably frozen until now which is another indicator they are likely in a crawl space.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The length of time that a rat may be decomposed varies with its size. Approximately about one to two years, a rat's body will be totally decomposed into ashes. However, its odor will only stay up to one month.

Just a quick Google. Answer form ask.com.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Agree with some of the other posters. It's odd that the odor would persist that long? I'd imagine dead things turn to bones after a while and there wouldn't be much stench any more, as there is nothing to rot?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Let's remember that odours are particulate. If you can smell it you are ingesting it.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dobietude

Post by Dobietude »

rangerkev wrote:Hi Ken, yes, it sounds like the landlord had the rats poisoned at some point before. I have yet to talk to him myself but it sounds like the landlord had the rats poisoned previously. Apparently the Pest guy also removed dead rats from the upstairs suite in the past.

Can anyone advise the best way to involve the IHA?

Thanks everyone, the guidance is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, Interior Health's inspectors have no juridiction when it comes to private homes. The only thing you can do is, as others suggested, talk to the landlord, call the Residential Tenancy Branch, call 811 and/or check out health link bc's website.
Keep on... keep truckin'

Return to “Creative Endeavours”