Hedging in the Okanagan

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Hedging in the Okanagan

Post by TylerM4 »

I'd like to plant a hedge on my property. It's alongside of a road and would be approx. 80' long. Currently there is a ditch with what I'll call "natural Hedging". In other words, it's mostly weeds and random native vegetation (wild rose, Saskatoon, various weeds, snowberries, a couple of sick pine trees, etc). It looks like heck in it's current state and doesn't offer much privacy.

I'm willing to do soil amendment, and the areas is sorta irrigated (lawn sprinklers).

My main goal is privacy.

So what would you recommend that I use? We live in an interface area and I've heard than deer like to eat cedars and that cedars need a lot of water. So cedars don't sound like a good choice, but I don't know of any decent alternatives.

Would prefer:
- low maintenance
- hardy
- year round privacy (leaves don't fall in the winter).

Are there any decent alternatives to cedar?

Thanks!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Hedging in the Okanagan

Post by TylerM4 »

Been googeling for the last hour.

Think I'm stuck with cedars :(

Yew plants look like the best alternative, but are slow growing - as in 10+ years before they are actually high enough to provide privacy.

Other alternatives I've found are either deciduous or do not grow over 4' tall :(
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Best for privacy is arborvitae. "Cedars".
Not actually a cedar, but peeps call them that.
Water them frequently the first season till the roots get established.
Deer love them and can eat your whole hedge quick.
If there's deer around cover them with a net in the winter.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

What about Oregon Grape Mahonia aquifolium (Pursh) Nutt.?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

grammafreddy wrote:What about Oregon Grape Mahonia aquifolium (Pursh) Nutt.?

Got a bunch in the back yard. I've never seen an Oregon Grape exceed 4' in height, with 3' being the typical maximum height.

Due to the slope of the location, I need something that will grow at least 6' tall.

Or perhaps the variety you've referenced is different that the Oregon grape that we see growing naturally in the wild all around the Okanagan?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I know you say the natural vegetation looks like heck, but nature didn't evolve to look manicured anyways. Betting the birds and insects are loving the natural berries and cover. Also, that they are successful where they are without human intervention tells me that they are a xeriscape habitat without equal.

As for cedars, good luck, they look like hell without constant maintenance. My neighbours didn't maintain his hedge at all and now we have a long, stringy mass. The only thing I hope for is that the birds keep using it for cover and a food source.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Bit of an older thread but I thought I'd reach out to you expert castaneters. The deer have discovered my hedge and I need to do something about it today. I see lots of hedges around town wrapped in burlap or something as a barrier. Does anyone know where to go to get this?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

You can get burlap at Buckerfields I believe, that's where I got mine the year I used it as landscape fabric (degrades, tomatoes and peppers loved it)

I also recently saw holly bushes being used as a hedge - thick, beautiful and you don't want to get close the those spiky things.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/growing-holly-bushes.htm
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Apparently Privet is a good hedge, grows quickly and will survive in our zone.

Here's a link with pros and cons http://www.torontomastergardeners.ca/askagardener/privet-shrubs/
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

tsayta wrote:Bit of an older thread but I thought I'd reach out to you expert castaneters. The deer have discovered my hedge and I need to do something about it today. I see lots of hedges around town wrapped in burlap or something as a barrier. Does anyone know where to go to get this?

Bird netting will keep them out. plastic sheeting works great, not tight and just up 5 or 6 feet.
If it's arborvitae, deer love it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I have 200 arborvitae in a hedge on my property. If it wasn't for the dogs in the area, the deer woulda ate it.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

They also irrigate and fertilize.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Creative Endeavours”