Apiculture and Beekeeping Thread

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Atomoa
Guru

Apiculture and Beekeeping Thread

Post by Atomoa »

Hello everyone!

This will be my first year practicing apiculture. This year I am keeping a few hives at my home and a remote location and I have ordered a few nucleus colonies that should be arriving the first week of May. I have registered my hives with the Ministry of Agriculture and am ready to go.

After reading a few books and taking a course this winter I am finally taking a crack at things. In the past I have handled a few hives, extracted some frames and marked a Queen before but quite honestly I am a total n00b and this is as nerve racking as it is exciting. A few things, such as the history, the need for more "bee understanding" of late and the acquisition of the needed space lead me to try out my first year as a beekeeper.

If there is interest in this thread I'd like to post pictures of my progress. Looking for experienced beekeepers to chime in with advise as well.

I'll post next with my hive set up and intended "plan". My goal is just for the bee's to live/survive and for me not to end up with a swarm on my neighbors deck. Honey will be a bonus.

The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Apiculture and Beekeeping Thread

Post by kgcayenne »

Good on ya. I hope you can find what you need on here.

I used to be terrified of bees. Now, I can just sit and watch them buzzing away on a patch of flowers. It's quite relaxing. I also try to snap photos of them when the opportunity presents (often wishing I had the right lens with me).
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I hope to learn some stuff. I have thinking it's time to get some bees.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I would love to see pics of your progress. Bees are cool. Good for you!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Great, appreciate the response. This gives me a excuse to "post, document and progress" so feel free to edge me along this year as the season moves along.

I will have to take pictures of my set up and post my plan later on in the week. We can discuss hives, set up's, techniques, food, pest control and precious, precious honey. Hooray!

Some pictures I took earlier this spring, opening up a winterized hive. Click "full size", ect ect.

Find the Queen.

Action.

- Buckminster Fuller
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

My neighbour started an apiary,but the M of A came and torched his whole operation due to some disease within the hives.
He started again with the help of other bee keepers in the area.They are quite helpful as the transfer of diseases can decimate all surrounding colonies.
It's seems a 40% loss rate is the norm these past few years.
Honey the wonder food...
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There is a bee club in town, I think they meet in lake country somewhere. I saw them at the Seedy Saturday . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Interesting.

From what I've been taught keeping disease away is all in preventative measures and proper care. This is something I am taking most seriously. Screened bottom boards, moisture considerations, hive orientation and regular inspection are all part of the method I wish to practice. It seems a lot of disease and problems the bees are having (besides pesticides and GMO's) are greedy and inattentive beekeepers.

I've dusted for mites, identified and removed them before. Dumped a whole whack of icing sugar on a live hive. Pretty cool.

My "Guru" is a lifelong beekeeper and I hope under my Guru's direction I do not end up with the M&A death squad at my door.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Lady tehMa wrote:There is a bee club in town, I think they meet in lake country somewhere. I saw them at the Seedy Saturday . . .

I am part of the local BBC (Backyard Beekeepers Club) which has about 200 members. Not sure if the ones @ Seedy are the BBC or their own chapter but there are certainly a few places to get involved in locally if one is interested.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Hive went in last week. I will update with pics this weekend - promise.

Things are going wonderfully and the bee's are busy. Lots of foraging and everything looks great. Really healthy Queen.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Some pictures.

First a picture of the construction of my hive stand which was made with found wood - free. Screws, wood glue and nails - few dollars. This is a fancier version of what is really required. The main thing to remember is that the hive stand is tilted slightly towards the entrance of the hive to facilitate drainage.

Right click for full size, ect.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Next picture is what I "bought" directly for supplies.

- 2 Medium bodies (I am only using mediums - even for my brood). Unassembled. Nail and glue and paint yourself. $15 x 2

- 2 types of hive tools. These are used for separating hive bodies/frames when gummed up with propolis. I bought both kinds to try and see which one I liked best. Spoiled myself, but they will last a lifetime. $17 and $24

- 10 un-assemebed wooden frames. Staple and glue. Just over a dollar each.

- 1 veil. $24.

You do not need a smoker unless you are catching a annoyed wild swarm. Smoking bees makes them gather their food and honey because they think their home is about to be burned in a forest fire. Smoking a small apiary like I have just results in honey and food loss and confused bees. If you have 200 hives to deal with is another story. Slow, confident movement and staying out of the front of the hive path is all that is needed. If they change their tone - let them "bee" for awhile.

I have a fullbody Tyvek suit that I bought @ Kelowna Saftey for $8 dollars but so far I have just been in a t-shirt and a veil and been just fine with no strings. I think I will wear the suit when I disassemble the hive and do my first mite inspection in 10 days. My confidence has already grown. For gloves - rubber kitchen gloves or latex gloves (buy a box) work just fine. Don't even really need them, but I am not at that stage yet.

Click for fullsize.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Next - the hive in action. This is my hive stand painted and set in my yard facing south. I have a screened bottom board, a 10 frame medium hive body, a inner cover and a roof.

I received single nucleus colony with a marked Queen and a brood on the go. Popped it down, opened the door and off they went. For the next 2 weeks it's brood development/colony growth. Then I add another super on top with 10 more frames. More development. Then come the honey supers.

Image quality isn't the best. I will be taking more pictures this weekend but just wanted to get these up for the curious.

Thanks - more to come.

- Buckminster Fuller
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am enjoying your pictures and commentary - I find beekeeping quite interesting. It is something that is so vital to our agriculture, it is comforting to know that even an average person can get in on it.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”