Apiculture and Beekeeping Thread

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Apiculture and Beekeeping Thread

Post by Atomoa »

Brood is coming along. Queen is laying. Lots of activity.

I have a water feature but noticed my bee's going a few houses down to my neighbors water feature to drink. I got a kick out of watching them bee-line through the yards. Talked to another neighbor a few houses away who is thrilled that there is a hive in the area. Promised not to spray.

Going to do a precautionary dusting for mites next weekend. Pure sugarcane icing sugar - POOF!
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Will you be getting one of the new Flow hives?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Lady tehMa wrote:Will you be getting one of the new Flow hives?

The langstroth hive has been working just fine for 100+ years.

Update : lost my bee's to moisture sometime in early February. I know what I did wrong and it's a live and learn thing.

2 hives coming in approx 3 weeks. I'll post some pics this week of last years hive.

- Buckminster Fuller
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Sorry to hear of your loss - do you get attached to bees the way most do to pets? I know they aren't pets, but I was wondering.

I hear the flow hive might encourage more people to go into beekeeping, would that be a good thing?

According to the doc I'm allergic to hymenoptera - but that was after a few wasp stings. I haven't been stung by and bee (and really don't want to be), but it isn't' an anaphylaxic reaction (huge nasty blisters that grow and required prednozone to get rid of (evil stuff, that, but it works). So while I'm curious, I'm hesitant.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Lady tehMa wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss - do you get attached to bees the way most do to pets? I know they aren't pets, but I was wondering.

I hear the flow hive might encourage more people to go into beekeeping, would that be a good thing?

According to the doc I'm allergic to hymenoptera - but that was after a few wasp stings. I haven't been stung by and bee (and really don't want to be), but it isn't' an anaphylaxic reaction (huge nasty blisters that grow and required prednozone to get rid of (evil stuff, that, but it works). So while I'm curious, I'm hesitant.

Yes, I got somewhat attached to them but I always prepared myself to lose them like a farmer might lose his animals to nature/predators. 1/3 hives die over the winter on average.

The "flow" hive is a novelty in my humble rookie opinion. I've heard oldtimers say the same thing though. I did not get into beekeeping for honey volume, I pursued it because of my love of gardening and nature. I don't like that the flow-frames are plastic (your honey touches plastic) and how the honey just sits outside of the hive. In nature bees store and cap honey in their combs and it will keep forever. A jar of honey outside the hive is very tempting to raccoons, mice, squirrels and bears.

There is not a lot to beekeeping. It's all about getting the experience and logging time. If you are worried about stings then just go to a honey farm, get stung and see what happens. Bee stings are not like wasp or hornet stings and it's always recommended that you get stung one or twice a year to keep your system fresh.

Last years hive in August - click full image.

Last edited by Atomoa on Mar 13th, 2015, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

My hive in high summer, buzzing. Click full image.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

My 2 hives will be ready about about mid April. I'm just building new stands for the hives now.

Last year I got busy and was a little hesitant to post pics given my political presence on the forums but I'm fairly sure people will respect my privacy and interests outside of that realm. I'll try to post more pictures from last year and keep this thread going for those who are interested.

Yes, I got some honey last year. It tastes like my neighbourhood smells on a flowery summer day.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Found a pic that I took on a 35C+ day. Even with a screened bottom board and good ventilation a beehive can get hot. If it gets too hot it can damage the young larvae and slow down things generally.

The bee's then will "beard" around entrances, turn their bums into the air and beat their wings non stop to ventilate the hive.

Bee air-conditioning. Bearding. You could feel the draft they would generate.

Right click for full size.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

2015 season has begun.

Hives installed last week. Pics to come.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “Creative Endeavours”