How to make a sidewalk w/ interlocking paves & no weeds

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

How to make a sidewalk w/ interlocking paves & no weeds

Post by Thinktank »

How can I gt rid of the weeds without using herbicides?
Do you put heavy plastic under those pavers?
Is there an organic way to get rid of the weeds?

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: How to make a sidewalk w/ interlocking paves and NO WEED

Post by Rwede »

A gallon or two of Roundup is your friend.

Otherwise, you're looking at a gallon or two of dandelion wine.

Plastic under the blocks would be hellish when un-drained water freezes and destroys your lovely patio in our climate. And, there's too much room between the blocks for dirt accumulation that weeds will grow in even if you did use something like a plastic underlay.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

Our German Shepard's (now gone) urine would kill every living plant alive where he did it, even dandy's. We joked we should have bottled it as organic weed killer ( and grass killer, flower killer).

My suggestion would be salt between the cracks, maybe that would work.

edit added

In my pool biz I can say chlorine kills at high concentrations.
Last edited by DeepEnd on Apr 29th, 2014, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never pass up the opportunity to do good.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would use newspaper over plastic. You can spray vinegar on them too and boiling water. Use leftover potato or veggie water.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

jennylives wrote:I would use newspaper over plastic. You can spray vinegar on them too and boiling water. Use leftover potato or veggie water.

My other drinks the potato and veg water, it is good for you. Wait til I tell her what it can be used for.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

This article says you should have have TWO layers of landscape fabric under the pavers. http://landscaping.about.com/od/patioideas/a/How-To-Install-Pavers.htm

Even then though, dandelions or thistles may grow in the sand layer.

So you could buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-2-23-000-BTU/dp/B00004Z2FP - I think carefully used flame weeding should work with pavers - but I've never done it. My neighbor uses one, and seems quite effective.

Or: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/homemade-weed-killers#slide-1 - the salt suggestion is in there.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

DeepEnd wrote:Our German Shepard's (now gone) urine would kill every living plant alive where he did it, even dandy's. We joked we should have bottled it as organic weed killer ( and grass killer, flower killer).

My suggestion would be salt between the cracks, maybe that would work.

edit added

In my pool biz I can say chlorine kills at high concentrations.

Don't use salt. It will penetrate the surface of the porous blocks and make them susceptible to cracking from freeze-thaw.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I might redo everything with 5 inches of crushed stone, 1 inch of sand and two layers of landscape fabric like the article says below. When it was done twenty years ago, only five inches of sand was used and no landscape fabric.

If weeds still appear, I'll use the flame thrower thing. I won't bother with the polymeric sand because it sounds like it could be harmful to breathe the dust into your lungs, and it's not worth it just for a sidewalk.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/patioid ... Pavers.htm

http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/foru ... ebate.html
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

Rwede wrote:

Don't use salt. It will penetrate the surface of the porous blocks and make them susceptible to cracking from freeze-thaw.

Maybe old and crappy ones but not those made in the last twenty years.

Most pavers today are manufactured to very high standards that meet or exceed strict ASTM standards relating to strength and density. They must achieve a rating of 8,000 psi (pounds per square inch) in order to be considered a “concrete paver”. At this level, the concrete does not absorb very much water and therefore the water typically will not freeze and expand within the paver.

Haven't seen any crack except in poured concrete walkways. Maybe different in your side of the world. It generally doesn't freeze in Kelowna in the summer time. With rain and water it usually is gone by winter time.
Last edited by DeepEnd on Apr 30th, 2014, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

Somewhere I read those silly cleaning steamers for your house can work. I do know steam is what the railroads use to kill weeds along their right of ways.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Industrial strength vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle and have at it. Almost as effective as Roundup on basic patio weeds. Buy it at Janitorial supply stores like Zep All Care. For weeds like horsetail and swamp reed (grass) that roundup won't kill......mix the vinegar with roundup and it will then work. The acidity of the vinegar breaches the silicate coating these plants have that roundup can't penetrate allowing the roundup to do it's job.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

twobits wrote:Industrial strength vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle and have at it. Almost as effective as Roundup on basic patio weeds. Buy it at Janitorial supply stores like Zep All Care. For weeds like horsetail and swamp reed (grass) that roundup won't kill......mix the vinegar with roundup and it will then work. The acidity of the vinegar breaches the silicate coating these plants have that roundup can't penetrate allowing the roundup to do it's job.

And of course don't let your pets or kids play on the patio.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Weeds? Gone!! All Natural Weed Killer!! - Helpful Home Tip!
Formula:
1 Gallon Vinegar
2 Cups Epson Salt
1/4 Cup Dish Soap
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

two_shoes1mit wrote:Weeds? Gone!! All Natural Weed Killer!! - Helpful Home Tip!
Formula:
1 Gallon Vinegar
2 Cups Epson Salt
1/4 Cup Dish Soap

My wife does this. It works. It's not a weed killer though - it's a plant killer. If it grows in the ground and you spray this on it, it will die.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Have you tried using Vaccines? According to you they work really well at killing things.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Creative Endeavours”