New Roof

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

New Roof

Post by Glacier »

I'm curious as to what type of roof you folks recommend. My current roof is at the end of it's life, and I'm beginning to hate asphalt shingle roofs. Every time it rains, I get shingle particles all over my property. In addition, my gutters are filling with this junk. The stuff smells gross on hot days too.

Should I replace them with asphalt shingles or go with something else? Metal is totally out of the question because it goes against the subdivision covenant. Things like clay tile are too expensive, so that leaves me with cedar shingle. I like cedar because it is more natural, doesn't stink like asphalt, doesn't spit grains of sand all over the place when it rains, and my rain barrels won't be filled with toxic water (although maybe cedar is soaked in something). The downside is that they are more expensive, and depending on where you live, could rot sooner rather than later. I am shaded by a huge hill to the west, so I don't get much afternoon sun.

What types of roofing materials are best for the Okanagan? It seems to me that the asphalt shingles don't last as long as they are supposed to due to hot summers, but what about other roofing materials?

What are your thoughts and experiences toward roofs? I also see there is composite type of roof that is supposed to be durable, aesthetic, and environmentally friendly.

P.S. I used to live a 100 year old sod roofed cabin when I was 1 year old. From what I understand, these are still the most durable roofs out there.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: New Roof

Post by flamingfingers »

Certified cedar shingles should NOT rot. If you take a drive up nosebleed heights in West Kelowna you will see roofs that have blackened shingles here and there on them. These are NOT cedar - usually they are pine and in the subdivision I lived in up there roofers were having a real $$ hey-day!!

Some info:
http://www.johnbrash.co.uk/jb-info-cent ... nd-shakes/
Chill
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Talk with your insurer before you consider wood shingles.
You may be in for a surprise.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^True that. I am glad we have a metal roof.
Chill
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Composite?
DaVinci Roofscapes, LLC
CertainTeed
EcoStar
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

With the possibilities of fire I wouldn't even consider Cedar and a lot of the roofing Co's won't even consider installing it. At least that's what I was told when replacing our roof.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

After the big fire, insurers shied away from allowing cedar shingles. If you aren't in an interface area (treed) you should be okay, but you should check with your insurer first - Bman knows what he's talking about.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I've been doing roofs for 20 years now, laminated asphalt, such as Cambridge are still your best bet.
The new laminated shingles are good for 30 plus years, and are about $22 a bundle.
Make sure the whole roof has paper and a starter strip(of shingles) all around the edges, even gable edges(not just eave edges).
Proper roof venting is also a must for lifespan. Soffits open or plugged with insulation(in the attic)????
I have done both, ridge cap venting and plastic vents, both work just as well for venting, but ridge cap is more expensive, but looks better to some.

My advice: Cambridge Asphalt laminated 30 year or better shingles, plastic roof vents every 8 feet max.
30 lb paper on the edges, or weathershield ice dam material, 15 lb paper on the rest.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I only have 1 vent (turbine thingy) on my roof (1000+ sq. ft of floor space). No wonder why there's mold on the inside of the plywood!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

UltraViolet wrote:I've been doing roofs for 20 years now, laminated asphalt, such as Cambridge are still your best bet.
The new laminated shingles are good for 30 plus years, and are about $22 a bundle.
Make sure the whole roof has paper and a starter strip(of shingles) all around the edges, even gable edges(not just eave edges).
Proper roof venting is also a must for lifespan. Soffits open or plugged with insulation(in the attic)????
I have done both, ridge cap venting and plastic vents, both work just as well for venting, but ridge cap is more expensive, but looks better to some.

My advice: Cambridge Asphalt laminated 30 year or better shingles, plastic roof vents every 8 feet max.
30 lb paper on the edges, or weathershield ice dam material, 15 lb paper on the rest.

UltraViolet - maybe you can answer a question for me?

I was told that asphalt shingles may be rated at 30 years, but because of our intense Okanagan sunshine it reduces the rated life. So 30 years may be more like 25 . . . 20 year shingles are more like 15, that sort of thing. Is this true? If it is, that is something to note for budgeting purposes.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The insurance company told me that my roof is not insured if it leaks because it is 20 years old. It hasn't leaked yet, but I need to replace it soon to be covered by insurance in the event that my roof fails.
- Douglas Murray
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

UltraViolet - maybe you can answer a question for me?

I was told that asphalt shingles may be rated at 30 years, but because of our intense Okanagan sunshine it reduces the rated life. So 30 years may be more like 25 . . . 20 year shingles are more like 15, that sort of thing. Is this true? If it is, that is something to note for budgeting purposes.[/quote]

Life expectancy is more dependent on proper venting, air flow, proper installation.
I have seen 20 year shingles last 27 years.

When the new laminated asphalt Cambridge shingles came out, I started doing roofs using them, warranty was 30 years from the manufacturer, the first roof I did with them is near 20 years old, and looks as good as new, with minimal granual accumulation in the gutters.

Proper installation, proper roof venting, proper overhang and starter strips, as well as the use of 15 lb paper on the entire roof will ensure max life. Now, if you send someone up there to shovel the roof off in winter with a metal shovel, damage can and will be done.

Sun does not play a big role in shortening life expectancy, as much as everything else.
Now, in 10 years from now, I can tell you how some of the 30 year shingles have fared, but my guess is going to be that they will make the full 30 years and then some.

You get what you pay for, cheap shingles are not even worth installing.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I agree for sure about cheap shingles. I wouldn't do a garden shed with them.
Quality shingles aren't even that more costly but the difference is amazing.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
fastfreddie
Fledgling

Post by fastfreddie »

How do you know when you actually need to reroof ( with shingles ), besides when the leaking starts? Of course, most estimators will tell you it's time.
It's not the color of your skin that matters,it's the color of your blood.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”