Need aluminium welder; Bike frame broke at weld point

Business and professional recommendations.
quagmaire
Fledgling

Re: Need aluminium welder; Bike frame broke at weld point

Post by quagmaire »

Aqualu industries.
http://www.aqualu.com/

They do nothing but weld aluminum all day every day. If you are looking for an aluminum expert, they are about as expert as you get...
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Excel Metal Fab. Best aluminum welders I've ever dealt with, been around here for > 20 years, and a great bunch of folks too!

address:
390 Lougheed Rd.,
Kelowna BC, V1X 7R8

tel:
250-765-3111

fax:
250-765-7727
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Both excellent choices to weld 5052....... But this is not a boat..
Not saying that they cannot do a great job,but it wont last if it does not get heat treated....
I know f two people at least that built untreated aluminum frames.... They will not hold up..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Sonny. Geometry and technology has come along ways on mtn bikes. You would be amazed at how much more fun a new bike is. Might be time to let go of the ol' girl and treat yourself. I upgraded to a Norco Sight (650b wheels) from a old Santa Cruz Blur lt and I am climbing better and the downhills are fantastic.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Did you read his posts, pretty sure he said he was not riding off road..
..like me, my Gary Fisher Joshua, and my smooth tires..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Missed that 50. Sorry Sonny.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dented

Post by Dented »

All you people suggesting this guy welders got there daily dose of stupid.

Good bike frames go through tons of tests before they put them in shops re welding a frame is dangerous unless you get it welded then put through various stress tests = lots of money and no point because for that you can buy a new frame or get a warranty replacement...

FREE

I'd listen to me and Ken7 ignore the rest of these idiots... He obviously rides and I do too.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

sounds like you know about as much about welding as 50 years don't make comments on subjects you clearly know nothing about
quagmaire
Fledgling

Post by quagmaire »

Dented wrote:All you people suggesting this guy welders got there daily dose of stupid.

Good bike frames go through tons of tests before they put them in shops re welding a frame is dangerous unless you get it welded then put through various stress tests = lots of money and no point because for that you can buy a new frame or get a warranty replacement...

FREE

I'd listen to me and Ken7 ignore the rest of these idiots... He obviously rides and I do too.

What myself, Richard, and Bsuds did was answer the OP's original question... it sounds to me that because you 'ride', you believe that manufactures actually put every frame 'through tons of tests' after assembly...

That to me is a special kind of 'stupid'.
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dented wrote:All you people suggesting this guy welders got there daily dose of stupid.

No where did I recommend he weld the frame, just answered his question.

As far as the rest of your post I suggest you start wearing a helmet when riding because brain damage can be serious.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
snowtires

Post by snowtires »

1-Take it in and get it welded
2-watch the pinkbike.com classifieds for the trek fuel frame you desire.
3-transfer over your parts.
4-if the weld break before you get a replacement frame then weld it again
5-worst case Ontario if the weld breaks you just fall down. Its not like your going downhill.
YoungFarmer
Fledgling

Post by YoungFarmer »

I had a bike frame welded at aqualu. Mine cracked at the head tube, they welded it up, and added a gusset over the cracked area. They charged me 20$
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Thank you all for your comments. You've given me plenty to think about. Seems there is some hope to get it welded.

Fortunately with the type of rear suspension I have (swing arm connected to a rocker arm with multiple pivot points) the bike did not collapse, and was still just ride-able enough to get home (3 km) after it broke. The stress at the point of the break is subject to more of a back to front shear force from the suspension rather than bearing a direct downward weight load. You can see this by it's movement back to front at the break when you put weight on the bike.

So even it I repair it and if happens to break again, the bike will likely not collapse given the type of riding I do.

What made this situation more disappointing is that I just replaced many parts including chain, cassette, tires, front brake, front shifter and a few other things. A few days later.... BANG! broken back. ...Darn what a bummer.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

YoungFarmer wrote:I had a bike frame welded at aqualu. Mine cracked at the head tube, they welded it up, and added a gusset over the cracked area. They charged me 20$

I decided to risk the frame weld route rather than bike replacement, and your post encouraged me to check out Aqualu. I went up to their shop and had them look at. After about 10 seconds, Todd (the owner) told me with confidence "yeah... well yeah we can fix that. You just need to have this and that part stripped away".

So I brought the bike to Fresh Air on Groves St and had them strip the bike to the frame. My intent is to have other parts replaced if necessary if the frame weld was successful. Next, I brought the bare frame back to Aqualu. They welded it for me in less than a day. I don't pretend to know much about aluminium welds, but what they did LOOKS very robust... more so than any other original weld on the frame. The total price with taxes was exactly $60.00.

So now the frame is back at Fresh Air awaiting re-assembly with new cables and a few new other parts. I expect to get the re-assembled bike back by Wednesday 13-Aug-2014. The moment of truth will come when I ride it afterwards. At this point I have high hopes.

I'm really only hoping to get another year or two out of it. If I'm lucky, it will bring me pleasure for few more years yet.
Last edited by Sonny Taylor on Aug 8th, 2014, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Referrals”