Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2015

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2015

Post by Lady tehMa »

I did some gardening yesterday. The front yard garden beds are tidied. I split my spiderwort. I took out a pile of purple irises and orange daylilies, and relocated them. I moved my Shirley Temple Peony. I planted some checked lilies. I *may* have sworn at the the squirrel who plants nuts in my garden beds - pulled 7 trees today. >_> I have a green bin FULL of debris. You know, the stuff you don't want to compost because it is full of weeds/grass/seeds.

If anyone want some purple lamium, it makes great ground cover for difficult areas but will also take over. I have plenty to share . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm doing more clean up. Finally pulled some herbs out, basil and dill (which self seeded).

I came in for a warm up.

Lots to go yet though, it's so much fun being out there I'm going back out in a few.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That's great! I'm having trouble just moving - the shoveling really overworked my lower back muscles :/
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I don't want to irk anyone, but I still have tomatoes and peppers growing.
Just sayin.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The bulbed flowers have not received their first frost yet, so I sat in the sun for a few hours this afternoon.

I love it when nature is delayed. Global warming??
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My chrysanthemums are blooming like crazy.
I still have lilies blooming in the pond, but they're slowing fast.
First turn in the weather and I'll be shutting it down and covering it. Ugh. It's a bit of a task to do.

My walnut harvest is down this year, likely due to some aggressive pruning, I removed lots of very large branches.
I built a machine to open the walnuts, I can open a 22 liter bucket in under 9 minutes, and not smush the shells. I get perfect walnut halves every time.
Sure saves a lot of work and time.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Supposed to be a warmer winter this year.
I hope that doesn't mean lots of precipitation.
It'll be getting nice in 17 weeks.
Saying it that way doesn't make it sound so bad.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I also had to take an hour or so out today to sit on the deck.
Flowers, fresh autumn air, birds, it's all so appealing, as much as I hate autumn.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bman wrote:Supposed to be a warmer winter this year.
I hope that doesn't mean lots of precipitation.
It'll be getting nice in 17 weeks.
Saying it that way doesn't make it sound so bad.

All of BC could really use normal or above normal snowpacks in those next 17 weeks.

Added: of course normal for 2015 is whole lot different then normal for the 50s, 60s & 70s
Last edited by GordonH on Oct 31st, 2015, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Last edited by Bpeep on Nov 1st, 2015, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

Sounds like you are looking forward to the THIRTY SEVEN weeks of ideal spring-summer-fall that the Okanagan gets each year.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Yup. In a big way. Always do.
Must be a leap year. 54 weeks.
I'll take it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Today is the official count down for flowers. I'm going to photograph what is out there now, surprisingly many flowers are still blooming. I should harvest the carrots too.

Took out the tomatoes and the peppers when it threatened to get frosty every morning.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

That's it for the garden for the season.
Leeks are pulled, converted to soup and in the freezer.
And now we wait.
Ugh. I hate winter.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I still have chard and kale going strong, and celery too. I did bring in the last of my peppers though. Oops, except the jalapenos, but they're on the deck.

I have honeysuckle blooming, and a daisy, snapdragons, lamium . . . I can hardly believe we're half way through November!

I was in the neighbourhood of Art Knapps on Saturday, and used their parking lot (to get to a nearby store without getting stuck - hate traffic). So I went in, because I was there. They still have outdoor plants for sale! I walked out with bellflowers, blanket flowers, delphiniums (one of which was in an 8" pot!) for under $11! O.o And it is still mild enough, so I planted. And the ground was damp quite far down - it's been drizzling pretty steady here in Rutland.

Plus my Vesey's bulb order arrived this past week and got planted (birthday present). I'm so excited for spring! :D

Return to “Creative Endeavours”