Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2015

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2015

Post by Lady tehMa »

It's a new year, time for a new thread with new goals and new ideas.

The only thing that I could find out about Seedy Saturday this year is that it is in March, possibly the 14th.

Bman, start the countdown here please!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Gardening, flowers and veggies: 2015

Post by Bpeep »

10 weeks till spring!
I came here to see if this thread was started, and if not, I was going to initiate it.
My pond cover should be off in 6 weeks or so. I'm so looking forward to it. My asparagus patch will be in full production this year. I may get as much as 5 pounds a day out of it for a while.
My pinot noirs have been rooted and potted for a year. They are going in as well as a half dozen table grapes.
Unfortunately, there's a mature walnut tree in the way. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it down. I'm going to miss it. Not including what I crushed for the birds I got about 55 pounds of shelled nuts in the freezer. If I was keeping the tree I woulda gave most away.
I've grown the old stand by Golden bantam corn for too long. This year I'm going to change that.
I'm not sure yet to what- there's many varieties out there that don't quickly convert sugars to starch after picking, but there's lots of corn varieties now that are gmo. I'd prefer to avoid gmo.
It's time for me to get on the net and start figuring what seed to order.

I'm planting about the same for potatoes.
I get between 400 to 500 pounds and start eating them mid June. The last ones are gone about the time they start sprouting.
I have lots of room left on my berm for perennial flowers.
I put 55 geraniums in one spot last year but it was just because I had a hole to fill and home depot had them for 25 cents.
I may just put more annuals in. I'm going to start lots for my baskets so a few more trays won't be a big deal.
I'm thinking of another water feature for the front of the yard. Not as big as the one in the back, but sizeable enough to be a self contained eco system that'll attract wildlife. 1000 to 1500 liters.
I have water and power right beside where I'm thinking so it'll be easy to put in. I have a pump and some polished flat granite for the waterfalls and the slope is perfect. Just need to buy some liner and find some cool rock.
I'm going to carefully select my tomatoes this year. I prefer an indeterminate but I'm often disappointed. I prefer a firm large pink fruit that's good for sandwiches. The last two seasons they were too small and juicy.
I'll be starting some flowers in a few weeks, tomatoes and peppers late March. I got over 200 pounds green peppers last year. (keystone giant) still have some in the freezer. Gonna grow about 45 plants in the same variety. 10 or 12 jalapeños will round out the peppers.
My garden has terrific soil. It's rich and brown with humus.
All my fruit tree leaves go on it as well as everything in the compost. I have over 2 cu meters of compost that's going on as soon as the frost is gone.
I roto rake the lawn and aerate each spring. All the thatch from the lawn goes on the garden. I grow my spuds under it.
No digging. Reach in feel for the big ones and pick em. The lack of restrictions and thinning of the big ones gives a huge harvest all season.
The countdown begins to my favorite day of the year.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay, let's post favourite seed resources . . .

Aside from seedy saturday - which I depend upon - I know there are other seed companies out there.

Just discovered this one http://www.mozybeaufarms.com/

http://www.westcoastseeds.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiA28ilBRCy5cXrgtfTxTISJABgX7E2JGs3QNI_ttMdfGyFIHAzv7F48HPmz5cobEup9cl8sBoCvv7w_wcB

http://www.seedsavers.org/?gclid=CjwKEAiA28ilBRCy5cXrgtfTxTISJABgX7E2G1icBgaayOZZpzqVFt3-vslYTOulGqQLnmMfH_aLBRoC1nbw_wcB

these guys show up at seedy saturday http://www.saltspringseeds.com/
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I like west coast seeds.
They deliver right to my door.
Selection isn't bad.

9 more weeks!
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You guys make the rest of us look like unmitigated slackers.

I'm refusing to get excited until February 20th, even then, maybe.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:You guys make the rest of us look like unmitigated slackers.

I'm refusing to get excited until February 20th, even then, maybe.

I can't help but get excited. It is one of the few things in this year that will be normal . . .
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Raspberry canes
Does anyone know of any that do not sent out runners?
or
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to control this?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

http://www.foodproduction101.com/blog/h ... rrier.html

Scrap pieces of sheet metal or thin plex orlexan work just as well.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

oneh2obabe wrote:http://www.foodproduction101.com/blog/how-to-install-a-raspberry-root-barrier.html

Scrap pieces of sheet metal or thin plex orlexan work just as well.

If only the ground were not rock solid! but in any event, our canes are strong enough to poke through a driveway so do not see the barrier working.
would those dang runners not just go down and around?

Maybe I will just check with the neighbour and see if they want a few canes on their side - free :)
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

First signs spring is near.
It's light till 5 and I got my west coast seed catalog in today's post.
None of the tomatoes appealed to me.
My quest continues.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

8 weeks to go and some nice weather coming.
Another couple weeks we should have above freezing daytime weather every day.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Bman wrote:8 weeks to go and some nice weather coming.
Another couple weeks we should have above freezing daytime weather every day.

I did notice that the Willow trees were already starting to show colour change.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

February 16, 2014:
Attachments
IMG_0949.JPG
Chill

Return to “Creative Endeavours”