Where do rain gutter downspouts go?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Where do rain gutter downspouts go?

Post by Glacier »

In my house I have rain barrels for my shed (which are now full thanks to the 35 mm of rain so far this month), but the gutters around my house go straight down into the ground. Where do these things normally go? A drain field somewhere? City storm drain? Sewer? Hell?
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 15th, 2015, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Where to rain gutter downspouts go?

Post by GordonH »

If your house has a basement, I would suggest puttin extension on those downspouts away from your foundation/basement walls.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:If your house has a basement, I would suggest puttin extension on those downspouts away from your foundation/basement walls.

They go into the ground.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The main reason for burying the downspout is to carry the water away from the foundation. To do this, the downspout needs to be angled slightly away from the house. In areas with plenty of rainfall, it could empty into a French drain. This is essentially a trench filled with gravel that lets the water trickle into the earth.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have the same thing and I assumed it went into the storm drain on the street. Have never had any problems with it going through the foundation.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ it depends if Glacier lives in a city or not.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I thought he lived on/in a Glacier...thus his handle.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Your foundation should have perimeter drainage - that is pea gravel and weeping tile all the way around the house and sloped to carry water away from the foundation which should have been waterproofed with a water barrier placed before pouring the concrete basement floor. But because I am such a paranoid personality, I usually interrupt the downspouts and put in an elbow and a downspout section to direct rainwater well away from the house. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it!
Chill
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

May go into "dry" wells.
That's where mine go.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Agree. More than likely the water is piped into a drywell. If you have a lot of foliage around, there is a chance the system could get plugged from leaves and stuff building up in it. You can get fittings for vertical downspouts that divert debris away before it enters the underground drainpipe.
I birn quil I se
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Where do rain gutter downspouts go?

Post by I Think »

The best thing to do with downspouts, and this is mandated in many places, is to let them run onto a concrete tile placed on the ground under the outfall, sloped away from the house. You can buy concrete tiles shaped with a trough for this purpose, at most large hardware stores.

Of course if you want to store rainwater barrels are good.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I would need like 500 barrels to collect all my rainwater throughout the year!

Speaking of water, I left the water pipe on max to my fish pond all night by accident. Flooded my place out pretty good. The overflow drain on the fish pond got covered with leaves, and had gold fish escape and swim all over my yard as the water flowed everywhere. Water was even lapping up against my house, but thankfully none got into my basement (at least none that I can see). I probably wasted 1000 gallons of water, but at least the fish pond is now crystal clear as all the dirt and algae build up from winter got flushed away!
- Douglas Murray
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Downspouts simply go into the ground. The water is absorbed in the soil. Hopefully your house exterior has been waterproofed, and the exterior is graded downward, away from the house, for proper drainage. Also, hopefully there are proper weeping systems along the side of the house.

None of these are tied into the sewer or water system.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Onestop, many older houses dump downspouts right into the sewer or storm drains.
The modern way is to dump the water on the ground directed away from the foundation.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I think is correct.

It all depends on where you live. Some municipalities require the water to be piped into the storm system, because it is in a clay area and the ground doesn't absorb the water very well.

Other municipalities don't allow it to be piped into the storm system, because it can contribute to the overwhelming of the system.

It all depends on the type of ground, and the local bylaws.

Check with your municipal office.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Creative Endeavours”