Who has an apple tree?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Shawner
Fledgling

Who has an apple tree?

Post by Shawner »

We're looking at planting an apple tree in our front yard. Don't have any other fruit trees in the yard or nearby so need a self pollinator. Any suggestions for types that do well in the Okanagan? (Peachland)
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Who has an apple tree?

Post by LANDM »

Shawner wrote:We're looking at planting an apple tree in our front yard. Don't have any other fruit trees in the yard or nearby so need a self pollinator. Any suggestions for types that do well in the Okanagan? (Peachland)

Are you prepared to spray appropriately so the SIR program doesn't require you to strip all the fruit off it?

Why not plant something that looks nice and go out and buy your apples locally?
You and 71 others Like this post
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Maybe the OP isn't a lazy git and is already perfectly willing to do what's required.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

True but they might want to check on the costs to spray just 1 tree as it may not save money to have their own tree and it can be a lot of work. Spraying, pruning etc.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

I'm going to take care of the tree appropriately.

Does anyone have an answer to my initial question?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Shawner wrote:
Does anyone have an answer to my initial question?

Yes I have an answer.

Plant an apricot tree. Don't spray.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

Shawner,

Have you tried asking this question to Art Knapp's in Penticton (they sold - can't remember if there is a new name or not...).

Seems like no one here really knows, and it might be best to talk to a professional anyways.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I hope you get an answer. Good for you for wanting an apple tree. When the apple pie is ready, let us know!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Plant one tree and graft two or three varieties on it.

And as for my initial answer, one doesn't have to be a "lazy git" to not know the level of care that apple, pear, and ornamental crab trees take now, due to SIR requirements.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

True enough, LANDM. I was abrupt because, honestly, I found your post rubbed me the wrong way. I applaud people who would like to cultivate their own food, and just hate it when others are dismissive. It also highlighted my own limited knowledge of the ills of an apple tree.

My husband also advises against one and explained how there are so damn many backyard trees that aren't looked after, that the SIR program has not been as successful as they'd expected. I suppose we don't need another one out there to be part of the problem.

The OP needs to visit a nursery, not Castanet Forums.
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

Auto1 wrote:Shawner,

Have you tried asking this question to Art Knapp's in Penticton (they sold - can't remember if there is a new name or not...).

Seems like no one here really knows, and it might be best to talk to a professional anyways.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I hope you get an answer. Good for you for wanting an apple tree. When the apple pie is ready, let us know!

Not yet, no. Hopefully we'll make it out there (or to Dogwood or Bylands) next weekend
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

kgcayenne wrote:True enough, LANDM. I was abrupt because, honestly, I found your post rubbed me the wrong way. I applaud people who would like to cultivate their own food, and just hate it when others are dismissive. It also highlighted my own limited knowledge of the ills of an apple tree.

My husband also advises against one and explained how there are so damn many backyard trees that aren't looked after, that the SIR program has not been as successful as they'd expected. I suppose we don't need another one out there to be part of the problem.

The OP needs to visit a nursery, not Castanet Forums.

Haha, it's not the first time that my posts have rubbed someone the wrong way, and won't be the last.
In this case, he has had some good advice......probably better than he would get at a nursery.

As always with my posts, YMMV. And your husband is wise. You are most fortunate. Again.....haha.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Am so very lucky. <3 my husband grew up on an orchard here in the 70s before things were as troublesome as they are now.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”