Sparky.

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Sparky.

Post by I Think »

This is a shot of my electric tractor conversion, was a Craftsman, now it is elec. Here pushing some gravel, it mows tows, a trailer, lifts bags of cement, the forks have their own motor so you can lift stuff from the seat. It is indispensable here, has a
3.5 horse golf cart motor running on 4 6V golf cart batteries. The other day took it about 1/2 mile, mowed a neighbors yard & brought it home. It will run all day on a charge and is quiet and works like hell saving my back.
One day I will pretty it up with a rattle can, but for now it is just a workhorse.

ImageIMG_8876 by Technicotony, on Flickr
We're lost but we're making good time.
Auto1
Board Meister

Re: Sparky.

Post by Auto1 »

That is actually really cool! Good for you to have something like that! And it is nice that you helped a neighbor out.

Impressive!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Only mentioned the mowing to give a sense of range/capabilities. The neighbor helps me often, and his mower was ill.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Sparky the electric tractor became ill, and would only turn to the right, (had to fix that)
Took out the batteries & Flipped er on her side (try that with a gasser)
Discovered that the gears for the steering were worn out, so...............................
disconnected the steering wheel, put in a linear actuator (electric push pull device)
wired it to a joy stick and now we steer by wire, push the switch to the left - tractor turns left.
Took a bit of getting used to but steering is now fingertip control.
Still being a bit careful with it while we make sure it is robust enough, have not put heavy loads on the steering nor done any road trips.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”